Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Premier Inn Victoria or City (Tower Hill)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Making my reservations for my April 2011 trip to London and Paris and I cannot decide between these two hotels.

They are identical in terms of amenities, however the Victoria location is $100 less than Tower Hill.

While in London my son (9) and I will see the following sites/attractions: London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Thames River Cruise, LegoLand, Big Ben, London Tower, British Museum and catch a play on the West End.

We will stay in London for 3 nights/4 days before leaving for Paris for 5 nights/6 days.

Any input would be greatly appreciated thank you!
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 02:42 PM

The Victoria area is closer to more tourist attractions than Tower Hill - for example, you can walk to Buckingham Palace and the Westminster area (longer walk). Have you checked TripAdvisor for reviews of the two hotels? Assuming all else is the same, I would definitely choose the Victoria location.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 03:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The Victoria property is in a VERY convenient location so w/ the savings -- I'd choose it. It is on Eccleston Sq and very close to Victoria Station.

The Tower Hill location would be great for a subsequent trip to London. It is really close to Tower Hill Tube station and a very short walk to the Tower, Tower Bridge, river, St Katharine Docks. But on such a short visit, it is too far to be convenient to most sites except for the Tower.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 01:07 PM

Everything else (meaning price) being equal, the County Hall location is by far my favorite. You just can't beat that scenic walk along the Southbank, especially in the evenings, and being right there under the Eye. And right across the bridge is Westminster tube stop and the same distance to the south is Waterloo.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 04:51 PM

Yes, the County Hall location is great. But the County Hall Premier Travel Inn usually costs £40 to £50+ more per night than other London locations and is often booked up.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 08:52 AM

JanisJ
Hoping you can help, you have in the past...!
Am taking my 8 and 10 years olds to London
Have seen Premier Inn County Hall recommended
The Tower Hill location is about $300 less for a 4 night stay in july 2011
Now, I don't mind spending the extra, but want to be sure it is worth it. Tower Hill is as well liked as County Hall quality wise, but for me showing 2 girls the sights for the first time, just how far is it to the tube etc, please?
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 09:12 AM

Hi dendleju, That is a hard one. But here is my take . . .

The Tower Hill location is about a 5-6 minute walk from the Tower Hill tube station and another couple of minutes around to the entrance of the Tower of London. It is in a mainly commercial/business area but other than the Tower it is also an easy walk to the river, Tower Bridge and to St Katharine's marina w/ several indoor and outdoor cafes. There are also boat docks for trips up and down river.

It will take longer to get to many of the other main sites in London -- it is 8 tube stops from Big Ben for instance. 6 stops w/ a change of lines to the British Museum. 11 stops from the V&A.

County Hall is right on the river (though you can't see it from the hotel since it is on the back of the building). It is at the London Eye, and directly across the river from Big Ben. It would be walking distance to more things -- though most are across the river so you are talking 10 to 20 minute walks.

The actual rooms are almost identical -- and $300 is a lot. If that difference means you'll be able to afford some splurges you'd otherwise have to miss, I'd probably choose Tower Hill.

But if it isn't a budget buster, I'd choose County Hall.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 09:20 AM

Thanks, you have never steered me wrong and am happy to spend the extra cash for a good location. One thing I loved with a studio I found 10 mins walk from Louvre on first trip with kids to Paris last year, was the ease of returning mid way through the day for some rest time-- cannot over estimate the value of that on EVERYONE's enjoyment!
With 3 days, what order of sights do you recommend, please?
Tower of London and British Museum Egyptian room are both kid requested.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 09:44 AM

The Tower for absolute sure. Go first thing in the morning (get there just before opening time). Then go straight to the Crown Jewels -- you'll essentially have them to yourselves w/ no queue at all. Then back track towards the entrance and hook up w/ the next free Beefeater tour (though have a £1 or £2 coin handy to tip him as you leave the chapel at the end. After the tour either head to the White Tower or detour for a bite to eat. If you eat lunch in the Tower plan on leaving by about 1:00/1:30 PM.

So you have the whole rest of the day-- Easy to fit in one other major site w/o rushing too much.

The British Museum will take at least 2 or 3 hours depending on the kids endurance/interests. But it is free so you can also take it in smaller bites if you want. There are cafes and a restaurant in the museum so you can fit it around a meal break.

I'd try to hit either St Pauls or Westminster Abbey. Probably the Abbey since it is short walk from County Hall.

The Eye is right at your door step-so you can book timed tickets as you head out any morning and come back to ride it later.

If they are interested in fashion/clothes/jewelry and just decorative arts in general, the V&A is good -- and has a terrific cafe. Or if they like dinosaurs and such the Natural history museum is across the street from the V&A.

Take them to Covent Garden where they can watch street performers (and maybe be called on to participate)

Many kids really enjoy the Imperial War museum-you can skip the areas that might be too intense but there is lots about home life during WWII and things like that.

Lots of other options but don't cram in too much.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 10:22 AM

Oh...there are 2 threads on this? This is what I put on the other one

Just a wee trip report-let from March last year..

Stayed a night at the above last Friday. Double room was £101 booked online in advance. Checked in early, at 1230; it's like a self service airport check-in, with staff to help, and was easy and the staff very pleasant. There is a reception desk that's staffed until 2300, and a bar and restaurant, although we didn't get the chance to use those.
Our room, was nice, clean and comfy, with a desk and easy to adjust temperature. Our room was at the side on the 6th floor, so view was mostly backs of building EXCEPT for the London Eye rising up above;quite a site!
It's a great location; we were at a wedding in Soho and walked back through Trafalgar Square, down Whitehall and back over Westminster Bridge, sometime after midnight; everything illuminated and lovely.

They have a guarantee that if you don't get a good night's sleep, they will give you your money back.....we had a good night's sleep do didn't need to follow that up!

Just a great spot, walking distance to so many places & a very reasonable price; I definitely recommend it.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 11:11 AM

I would definately stay in the tower bridge hotel, there is so much to do on that side and Victoria is only really close to westminster, with kids you will be getting tube anyway

http://www.thelondoneye.org
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 11:19 AM

Thanks so much!
It is so nice to get such recent feedback on your stay alihutch!
Janisj -- wish I had you on speed dial - always a fount of knowledge! I remember the V&A at this age, loved it,my visit was unfortunately interrupted by the siege of the Iranian Embassy -- yep it's been a while!
Hope I can persuade the girls to visit with me though they both LOVE natural history and science museums! Of course there is always next year, I am planning to make this a regular part of our trip home!
How long is the London Eye ride?? -- I was wondering if that would be less interesting at this age, more interesting just to gawp at and photograph?
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 12:02 PM

The Eye only takes 30 minutes - count on 45 total for boarding and then gawking at the photo board displayed as you get off. (There is a point 3/4 of the way around where an automated photo is taken and you can see if yours is worth buying)

Since the hotel is RIGHT there at the foot of the Eye it would be a shame to skip it IMO. Especially since you can wait until the morning you want to 'fly the Eye' and see what the weather is like. I think it would be a great thing to do at the end of the day on the way back to your hotel.

(instead of speed dial -- I can come along as your private tour guide )