Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   PREM tickets question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/prem-tickets-question-731792/)

baby2 Aug 25th, 2007 03:20 PM

PREM tickets question

I am trying to buy PREM tickets for Nov 2007 - Paris to Basel. I would like to print the tickets like we have done last year but that's not an option this time. Is this new this year?

Dukey Aug 25th, 2007 05:36 PM

I am not sure you can print out cross-border tickets involving more than one railroad at home but I could be wrong so topping for you.

baby2 Aug 25th, 2007 06:53 PM

You maybe be right about crossing borders. I am interested in taking TGV nonstop Paris to Basel for this November. Last year, I ordered online and printed PREM tickets Paris-Lille/Lille-Paris. I was thinking that we did Paris-Bruges RT on PREM tickets but actually we didn't.

This time, printing the tickets is not offered.

analogue Aug 26th, 2007 12:36 AM

I just checked the SNCF website for a random date for Paris-Bâle and it proposed a Prem's ticket that I could print, with a change in Mulhouse.

Dukey Aug 26th, 2007 02:09 AM

I just checked for a random date also and Prems printable also came up.

kerouac Aug 26th, 2007 02:12 AM

Did you check one way or round trip? Maybe a self-printed Prem's isn't valid for starting from Switzerland?

ira Aug 26th, 2007 07:35 AM

Hi B,

I looked up the Paris/Basle route for different dates in Oct and Nov.

In addition to PREMS fares there are now Piccolo and Piccoloisimo fares. The lowest was only 20E!

Oddly enough, on some dates you can print the tickets online, while on other dates you have to collect the tickets or have them mailed to your Paris hotel.

((I))

baby2 Aug 26th, 2007 08:13 AM

Thanks for looking into this. I also tried Paris-Lille and I was given the option of printing the tickets.

We want to travel November 24th at 8:24 am on the TGV direct, 1st class, we prefer not to have to change trains on this leg of the trip. We will continue on to Interlaken with a Swiss pass. I still do not have the option of printing - (a) just by post (which means buying from Raileurope and not an option I want to take) or (b) picking it up once we are in Paris. Has anyone purchased tickets online and picked it up almost three months later?

analogue, where is Bâle? It's not the same as Basel, is it?

ira, thanks for the info. We are staying in an apartment and don't feel comfortable having the tickets sent there.

Dukey Aug 26th, 2007 08:38 AM

Actually,there is another option you are overlooking and that is to pick up the tickets from a machine or from a ticket windown once you arrive in France.

You pay on-line and receive a reference number for retrieval.

This way you know you have the space reserved, you avoid using an agency such as RailEruope, and you save money.

Dukey Aug 26th, 2007 08:40 AM

Sorry, I obviously mis-read your last post.

Picking up tickets is easy to do...go for it. If you must, think of it as being like an airline e-ticket..basically the same way of doing business.

You have a reserved seat, it is paid for, all you do is retrieve it in Paris at any machine, SNCF boutique, or station ticket office.

kerouac Aug 26th, 2007 09:14 AM

Bâle is the French name for Basel.

ira Aug 26th, 2007 10:49 AM

Hi B,

> Has anyone purchased tickets online and picked it up almost three months later?<

When you buy your tickets, you will get an email with a confirmation number.

Bring that and the same credit card to any train station or SNCF boutique and collect your tickets.

((I))

baby2 Aug 26th, 2007 10:51 AM

thanks, Dukey & kerouac.

Dukey, we will go ahead and purchase online for Paris pickup when we get there (we are spending six days in Paris before going to Switzerland, so it shouldn't be a problem).

kerouac, thanks for the clarification. I was wondering if that is the case and now I know...

baby2 Aug 26th, 2007 10:52 AM

will do, ira. thanks.