Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Pregnant in Paris... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/pregnant-in-paris-43578/)

Troy & Chris May 5th, 1999 10:04 AM

Pregnant in Paris...

Forgive me for re-posting this request. I thought maybe the new message title would receive more attention. <BR> <BR>Hi everyone, I realize this is a very common topic -- however, I'm stuck. After scouring the board for recommendations, and requesting the best sounding places, I've found that Paris is heavily booked for my brief stay in June (12th - 15th). Those highly recommended are already full. So, here's a list (so far) of those that ARE available: <BR> <BR>Hotel Montpensier Paris; 1st Arr.; 430F Dbl. <BR>Hotel Bastille Speria; 4th Arr.; 680F Dbl. <BR>Hotel Des Nations; 5th Arr.; 580F Dbl. <BR>Hotel De Lille; 7th Arr.; 610F Dbl. <BR>Hotel La Serre; 7th Arr.; 580F Dbl. <BR> <BR>By the way, my wife is pregnant (will be 5 months in June)... so, hopefully some of you women out there have a better perspective on what is "acceptable" under the circumstances. <BR> <BR>By the way, I'm not trying to be cheap (I know what some of you are thinking... pregnant wife and he can't even spring for a better room)! BUT...either we go economically, or we don't go at all. <BR> <BR>Also, we're looking to stay from the 9th to the 12th in the Loire Valley... need a "home-base" while we drive around the countryside during the days. Suggestions? <BR> <BR>Wow - that's a wordy post, huh? Thanks to all for your help!

gregoire May 5th, 1999 02:30 PM

Troy, <BR>first tip, just in case, for your pregnant wife : american hospital phone in Neuilly (nicest neighbourhood near Paris) is 01 46 41 25 25. Always better to have it with you... <BR>Now for the hotels you've listed : <BR>1st one is too cheap to be good in that area. <BR>2nd should be good for that price, and this is a great area. You're just next to place des Voges, and hotel de sully on rue St Antoine. <BR>3rd will probably be noisy, though not far from the greatest parts of paris <BR>4th area is expensive, but if you can afford it, I'd say...go ! <BR>5th Same, but a little further <BR>Now about the Loire, I'm not sure it's the closest to everything, but Vouvray is a wonderfull little town along the river, where they make good wine (my grandfather was a winemaker there, so I advertise it !), and some of the best food in France (true). Not far from Chenonceau, Chinon, Tours. I could only find one hotel there : <BR>Le grand vatel <BR>phone : 02 47 52 70 32 <BR>8 av Léon Brulé 37210 <BR>fax : 02 47 52 74 52 <BR>Do a search in departement 37, there are many others... <BR>Good luck <BR> <BR> <BR>

Diane May 5th, 1999 04:30 PM

Hey, we went to Guadaloupe when I was 5 months pregnant and had a great time -- lots of walking, swimming, biking, etc. It was great. My doctor told me I could have a glass of wine with dinner so that was cool too. I'd say go for the Hotel Bastille Speria. The Place des Voges is calm, lovely and would be a great side yard for a picnic breakfast.

francescaq May 6th, 1999 03:06 AM

While you should take advantage of the wonderful things to eat in France, be careful of non-pasteurized cheese (nearly all of it, or at least all the good ones!) cured ham and pate. These can be dangerous if you are negative for toxoplasmosi (most Americans are), a disease which is harmless to non-pregnant people but a problem if you are pregnant. Have a wonderful time on your trip.

cherie May 6th, 1999 09:47 AM

Cheer up! I went to Shanghai 5 months pregnant!!!!!A wonderful place to stay in the Loire Valley is the Chateau d'Chissay in Chissay en Tourraine, just outside Tours. Great location. Can't say enough good about the plane. We booked a room for $150+/- with bath and view. Restaurant will treat yuou like kings....I felt rich...I felt pampered...it was the trip of my life. Do it! Plenty of castles around...Easy driving in the countryside....Vouvray is wonderful (just bought some last night, in fact.) Also reccommend Chinon wine and the tour at Vaux le Vicomte....the gardens at Villandry....its such fun to tromp around in that chalky soil! The pictures you'll bring back are even romantic!