Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Preferred Car rental companies in Italian Riviera

Old May 31st, 2018, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Hello travelers, Any recommendations of car rental companies in the Italian Riviera? TIA!
Old May 31st, 2018, 06:22 AM

Like most here I'd use auto europe as a broker to get you the best deal and to handle all the nonsense you will get with Italian car hire.
Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 07:54 AM

You need to consider the actual car provider whether you book direct or use the reputable broker AutoEurope. This article reviews companies with links to some serious complaints by other travelers. https://www.apathtolunch.com/2014/12...for-italy.html
I would go with Avis, Budget, Europcar, or Hertz. If you consider Dollar or Thrifty, you may hit long lines if you are renting after an airline arrival. Look for the location of offices for different companies according to your pick-up and drop-off cities.
Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 08:09 AM

Auto Europe is based in Portland, Maine. A great company founded in Maine. I often shop for the lowest rates, but, surprisingly we usually find that Auto Europe has great rates with Hertz among others. And, if you purchase full insurance (and want to avoid hassles with credit card companies), I suggest you pre-purchase with Auto Europe; it is very reasonable. We once booked a rental in Italy directly with Hertz, and their insurance rates at the time of booking were three times what we pay Auto Europe. We have booked four auto rentals over a 3-week period this fall in Europe, with drop-offs different than the pick-up location, and all the rates were much lower than expected (except for Corsica where everything seems more expensive). Be careful when booking with a European-based rental agency. Our son was "upgraded" to a sports car in eastern Europe; in the first 15 minutes of driving, his engine failed. Despite the troubles it caused him, six months later, they charged his credit card $4,500, and it took him a year or more to get it resolved.
Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 09:10 AM

AutoEurope.I don't need them anymore, but I probably booked 200 cars with them over 30+ years and never had a problem that they didn't resolve immediately.

Booking direct is fine if you speak "car" and "contracts" in the local language. If you're American without good language skills you will benefit from AutoEurope's 24/7 English-language help phone line if/when something goes wrong.
Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by mazzaschi View Post
You need to consider the actual car provider whether you book direct or use the reputable broker AutoEurope. This article reviews companies with links to some serious complaints by other travelers. https://www.apathtolunch.com/2014/12...for-italy.html
I would go with Avis, Budget, Europcar, or Hertz. If you consider Dollar or Thrifty, you may hit long lines if you are renting after an airline arrival. Look for the location of offices for different companies according to your pick-up and drop-off cities.
I disagree, the actual provider is irrelevant, many of the brands are not the USA companies at all and local management may be terrible. Selecting the brand is just silly, select the negotiator if it goes wrong. In Italy epecially. (much as I love the country)
Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 01:03 PM

The company that can charge your credit card matters a great deal, and that's the car provider on the ground in Italy. Would you rent from Gold Car or Firefly who were each fined over a million Euro each by the Italian government last year?
Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by mazzaschi View Post
The company that can charge your credit card matters a great deal, and that's the car provider on the ground in Italy. Would you rent from Gold Car or Firefly who were each fined over a million Euro each by the Italian government last year?
It has been awhile since I studied this, but I lean in this direction. IIRC, your contract is with the rental car company. Your broker can intercede, but if your car gets pronged you will be sorting it out primarily with the company who owns the heap of twisted metal.
Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 01:21 PM

I prefer the rental car company whose offices are open at the time I want to pick up or return the car. The Italian Riviera is a long stretch of coast, and some rental offices are not open on midday or weekends, but some are. The easiest way to figure out what suits your plans is to use the website of AutoEurope and fill in the blanks for where want to pick up the car, and what day do you want to pick up the car and return it.

In general, unless you are picking up a car to leave the Italian Riviera for someplace else in Italy (not France), it is better to use the trains or the boats because of the exceptional difficulties to park a car on the Riviera, also typically quite expensive. If you want to go exploring in the hills and valleys right "behind" the Italian Riviera, away from the seacoast, a car is generally needed. But if you are planning a visit that is all about enjoying the sea and seaviews, then using the train or boats is better because you have no parking or traffic jam issues.