Prebooking Spanish hotels or no?

Aug 10th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Prebooking Spanish hotels or no?

Hi again,
So I'll be in Spain a month and am vacillating between prebooking all my intra Spain flights and hotels or just going with the flow when I get there. Rick Steve's book says sometimes you get better luck showing up and haggling but I don't want to be unprepared either....help please!
Aug 10th, 2011, 07:25 PM

Rick Steve's deals with backpackers, those who apparently can waste a lot of time haggling with hotels/hostels for a cheap room.

Many of us used to do that back in the 80's and even early 90's, but times have changed and waiting until you get somewhere to find a room can be a real waste of time, if not a complete bore, for anyone over the age of 25.
Aug 10th, 2011, 07:27 PM

Depends a little bit on how flexible you are and can you go with the flow. At that time of year, rooms will be very available and you can do some bargaining. Where are you going that you need flights. The train system works pretty well.
Aug 10th, 2011, 07:46 PM

The key word is "sometimes." It is tempting to interpret it as "always" but realized that it can also mean "never" or "rarely." What you need to be ready is the downside. If none of the hotels with available rooms meet your need or the budget, then what? Are you willing to keep on going, change town, or ready to pay more? You can improve the odds in your favor by doing research, a contra-thinking perhaps. You don't unknowingly want to go into town with big events going on. When I intend to find a room without reservation, I only do it during off season and do it only when I have some idea about the hotel occupancy situation. When you have to look for a room in an unfamiliar town, don't do it in the evening when your fall back options are limited.
Aug 10th, 2011, 08:13 PM

Do not get me started on Rick Steves and Spain. He really knows nothing about the country, the food, and art for someone who is supposedly a professional travel writer.
________
One effective method we have used in Spain many, many times is booking the first hotel in the first town. Then you ask the hotel where you staying to call ahead for you. Be sure you tip well and be give them possible places to stay and offer to pay for the calls.
Aug 10th, 2011, 11:39 PM

Question asked here:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...servations.cfm
I think the answers given cover the basic question.
Aug 11th, 2011, 05:52 AM

I was in Spain last September. I arrived in Vigo, walked into a hotel near the station and booked a room (a comfortable single room with shower and WC for €25). I went on by train to Bilbao, arriving in the evening; the first hotel I tried near the station had a room for €35 (again a comfortable single room with shower and WC).
I would happily go to Spain again outside the peak holiday season without worrying about finding a hotel.
Aug 11th, 2011, 08:13 AM

"I was in Spain last September. I arrived in Vigo, walked into a hotel near the station and booked a room (a comfortable single room with shower and WC for €25). "

To each his own!
Aug 12th, 2011, 02:12 PM

I've had no problems playing my vacation by ear in Spain and finding lodging the day of, actually preferred it in one case where my friend booked this awful place that was only a block away from much nicer accommodations, but we could not back out at that point.

And for me at least, finding a room the day of isn't about haggling as I am not into haggling, I prefer places with set prices, and more standardized (though this has in the past been altered depending on whom I'm traveling with), but for me it gives me more freedom to stay in one place longer, or move on. Especially if I have a few days before my next flight, I could instead take an overnight "daytrip", just venture further out.
Aug 13th, 2011, 07:17 AM

In places like Seville and Granada they now get millions of tourists every year. The good hotels are often booked up. If you want the good places I would reserve and then cancel if you must. Otherwise you might find a hotel but it might not be a good one.
Aug 14th, 2011, 09:42 AM

Cancelling your reservation at the last moment may cost your your deposit.