prebooking b&b's in Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be landing in Shannon on June 16, for 2 weeks we will be touring the west (Kinsale,Dingle,Westport,Lietrim).We are A family of 3 myself,husband and 15 year old son.The end of June seems to be the start of high season,I don't want to get stuck without A room.

Susan
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 05:17 AM

In mid June, you'll have no problems finding rooms wherever you go in Ireland (unless you do something obviously stupid like arriving in a popular place like Dingle in the late evening). If you're worried about the end of June, then book those nights in tourist offices or in B&Bs when you get there. Even in the peak season, you'll never be stuck without rooms if you find them early in the day.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank You
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 05:36 AM

Get in touch with the Irish Tourist Board and get a copy of the Town & Country B&B Green book. It's free. We went in Late May/Early June and found that most of the "better" B&B's were booked.

I would try to book in advance. Most of them have e-mail addresses, and/or give them a telephone call -- not that expensive.

Come back on and ask for recommendations for particular towns and B&B's you've found.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Budman I was hoping to hear from you.I can't remember if you did A trip report?I think I did see pictures now that I think about it.Since you are from New Jersey also did you fly from EWR or JFK?
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:18 AM

We flew from Newark in & out of Shannon.

Here's a copy of my trip report: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34503975
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:19 AM

The B&Bs listed by the Irish tourist board are only a tiny fraction of those available. Generally places off the beaten track pay the tourist board to bring customers, while B&Bs on main roads rely on the passing trade. The main roads in and out of any Irish town are lined with B&Bs who have no need to pay the tourist board to attract customers.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:36 AM

I've made trips to Ireland both ways -- booking ahead and just winging it in each town. As GeoffHamer said, the only time I had a problem was in a popular place like Dingle. I still got a room -- a very nice one on a sheep farm outside town -- but there weren't many left. Book ahead for the popular places.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 07:01 AM

We didn't prebook the last part of May in Kinsale because we didn't know if we would get there on a specific day.

We wanted to stay in town (I wanted to imbibe), and all the "good" B&B's were taken. We ended up staying in one with a small room, shabby bathroom, but the breakfast was good.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

My husband went with his father and brother in sept. 2004 and they did not prebook anything. I know that they only cared about A roof, A bed, and A good breakfast.
I live in A shore town and I know you could not get A room in season here without prebooking.
I think I will look to prebook in the most popular towns if we are going to be there on A Friday or Saturday .
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 07:27 AM

NJSusan, your shore town is presumably in the US not in Ireland. Ireland probably has a greater abundance of B&Bs and similar accommodation than most other European countries. The roads into most Irish towns are lined with B&Bs. Unless you're arriving in the evening or at a summer weekend, you'll be spoilt for choice.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thats what my husband says.I guess I should start listening to him.
The town I come from ,Cape May New Jersey,is known for being A B&B town.
I'm sure not as many as Ireland has.

Thank You Susan
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 09:50 AM

Hey, we'll be in Ireland around the same time, njsusan! Me and my girlfriends (6 of us) are arriving on the 23rd, starting in the west, then southwest, and Dublin, leaving on July 9th... Looks like we may be in Kinsale/Dingle in the first part of our trip, so we may miss you

I've been in Ireland twice, once with a 'call-the-day-ahead' vouchers, and once prebooked. However, those were August and April, so the experience won't help your question
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 03:07 PM
CU

Have a look at www.bedandbreakfastireland.net and for 1sr class b & b go to www.premierguesthouses.com
Also looka at
www.townandcountry.ie
That should keep you tucked up.
Enjoy your stay.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 03:25 PM

I think that Budman makes an excellent point about "staying in town because of wanting to imbibe." Ireland has an unbelievable number of B&B's. It's almost like they sprout from the rocky soil. However, accommodations within walking distance to the town's pubs are fewer. If you plan to drink, please consider staying in town. Ireland's roads are difficult to navigate in daylight hours. They're nearly impossible after dark. Guinness makes them worse. Town accommodations are harder to come by than rural B&B's.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 04:01 AM

I wouldnt leave it to chance if I were you, I recommend you pre-book especially For Dingle and Kinsale. Dingle is very busy from late May to October, i'm from Dublin and I wouldnt take a risk of travelling to Dingle without pre-booking
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 05:28 AM

Same here you could end up with a place that is worse than if you booked in advance.

If I am going especially at the weekends I normally book in advance to get the place I want.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 08:41 AM

My sister and I will be in Ireland May 7-15th. We plan on staying in Kinsale, Kenmare and Dingle. I have a particular place in mind I'd like to stay in Dingle and was thinking of prebooking.

How early would you suggest I do the prebooking?
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 02:09 AM

Also Geoff mentioned places off the Beaten path..be careful if there is no Board Failte shamrock sign. There are regulated and checked by the tourist board. Anyone could hang a B&B board outside their house and It could be awful. My Aunt Owned a B&B years back and she always would say stay in an approved B&B as they must be in business for a while and then apply for Board Failte approval. It also give you a place to direct any comments about a business good and bad.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

I am going to be prebooking thanks everyone for the advice.
How long should I wait to hear from the b&bs?I have 2 different ones where I would like to stay that have not responed , it has been over 5 days.I know they could be away,but would I get a response if they don't have A room?
All the other b&bs I have already booked responded in less than 24 hours.

Susan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -