Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

pre-Xmas trip ideas starting from FRA, but new destinations

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 05:18 PM
Kay

Just found out we're going to Frankfurt for a meeting then will have Dec 16-25 to tour. We can RT into Frankfurt or return from another city. We can take train or rent car. We'd like to go someplace new for us--expect that time of year to see architecture, visit a museum, a Christmas market, and what else? Normally in the summer we hike, visit a museum or historical site, and find local events/activities. We like very active trips. Hotels and restaurants don't matter. Most of the places we've seen posted in answer to similar questions we've been to, so looking for suggestions for this unexpected trip.

Some of the places we've seen are Germany: Rothenburg, Munich, the castles, Garmisch; France: Paris, Versailles; Switzerland: Lake Geneva, Interlaken and the mountains, Lucerne; Italy: Florence, Cinque Terre; England: London, Cotswolds.

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 05:31 PM
Rick

I suggest you visit Gruyeres, in Switzerland. There is a walled city on a hill overlooking a valley before the alps. There are two small hotels that defy imagination.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 01:34 PM
Shanna

Kay, I can't give you the lowdown yet, but in Oktober I'm planning a visit to the Weinstrasse in the Pfalz, west of the Rhine. This is the warmest and sunniest area of Germany, dubbed by some as "where Germany meets Italy" because of the grapes, lemons, figs grown there. The grapes were brought by the Romans and there are Roman ruins in the area. I don't know what may be going on in December, but September, October, and November have wine (Riesling) festivals. There are plenty of wineries and wine tasting all year from what I've read. Of course, if you don't like wine, there are woods for hikes and hills for climbing. The town I'm staying in is Freinsheim, at the Luther Hotel inside the medieval walls. From what I've found out about the area, there are many lovely small towns along this road (Rt 271 ~80 mile stretch) close to Speyer, Worms, Mainz and only 50-70 miles from Frankfurt. And it borders France. Five years ago I could find nothing on the region - now it's showing up in guide books, so you'll want to act fast before the tourists find it. Mention is also made in a couple of books I found on German wines. Freinsheim is an ancestral home for me, but from all I've read, the area sounds delightful. Freinsheim has a website in German. There are also some other websites about the Pfalz (AKA the Palatinate). Most are in German but if you use Babelfish/Altavista you can get some very funny translations which will give you an idea of what's happening in the region. Ten days would give you ample time to tour the old - even ancient - towns of Mainz, Speyer and Worms. Have a great time whatever you decide and drink lots of gluhwein.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 01:46 PM
Shanna

Kay, I can't give you the lowdown yet, but in Oktober I'm planning a visit to the Weinstrasse in the Pfalz, west of the Rhine. This is the warmest and sunniest area of Germany, dubbed by some as "where Germany meets Italy" because of the grapes, lemons, figs grown there. The grapes were brought by the Romans and there are Roman ruins in the area. I don't know what may be going on in December, but September, October, and November have wine (Riesling) festivals. There are plenty of wineries and wine tasting all year from what I've read. Of course, if you don't like wine, there are woods for hikes and hills for climbing. The town I'm staying in is Freinsheim, at the Luther Hotel inside the medieval walls. From what I've found out about the area, there are many lovely small towns along this road (Rt 271 ~80 mile stretch) close to Speyer, Worms, Mainz and only 60-70 miles from Frankfurt. And it borders France. Five years ago I could find nothing on the region - now it's showing up in guide books, so you'll want to act fast before the tourists find it. Mention is also made in a couple of books I found on German wines. Freinsheim is an ancestral home for me, but from all I've read, the area sounds delightful. Freinsheim has a website in German. There are also some other websites about the Pfalz (AKA the Palatinate). Most are in German but if you use Babelfish/Altavista you can get some very funny translations which will give you an idea of what's happening in the region. Ten days would give you ample time to tour the old - even ancient - towns of Mainz, Speyer and Worms. Have a great time whatever you decide and drink lots of gluhwein.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Shanna

sorry - Fodor's told me they couldn't post, so I tried again.