Pre-paid SIM card for mobile in Italy

Old Dec 24th, 2001, 02:13 AM
Rong

Pre-paid SIM card for mobile in Italy

I'll arrive in Italy very soon. And would like to know if and where I could buy a pre-paid SIM card for my GSM phone. I just browsed through the TIM website and seems they only advise roaming my mobile from my home operator, without mentioning prepaid sevices.

Old Dec 24th, 2001, 04:50 AM
xxx

You can buy prepaid cards just about any place.
You can get them in any TIM or OMNITEL store, grocery stores, lots of newstands, tobacco stores, etc.
Almost all places sell them, you just have to decide which carrier you want to use. The two I mentioned above are the most used and well known.

Old Dec 24th, 2001, 07:37 AM
Vic

You should determine if your phone is locked. That is, when you buy your phone at a subsidized price from a phone service, such as ATT, the phone company locks the phone so that you can't use their phone with any other service. It's virtually impossible to get the phone company to unlock the phone.

Even if your phone is unlocked, the SIM card will cost about $25. If you're going overseas for a short time, it may be cheaper to subscribe to your carrier's international service which gives you the convenience of using your regular number.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Laura

I'd like to know more about the TIM pre-paid card. Has anyone used this for their cell phone? How much does it cost, what are the rates? Can I use this card outside Italy as well? Any information is welcome.

Thanks!

Laura

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Jeff

Laura:

I think Vic made the important point. The big question is if the phone is locked. Example, since I can read the English web sites and not the Italian sites...you buy an inexpensive cell phone from Vodafone in England. They charge an arm and a leg to roam i.e. to use your phone in Italy. So it would seem the best thing to do would be to go into an Italian store and buy a service pack which would include a SIM card. The SIM card is basically the microchip that runs the phone.

If the phone is unlocked, this seems to me to be the best way to go. Of course, as you go from country to country and SIM card to SIM card, your phone number will change and you have to have a way to inform everybody. (Note that for the most part in Europe, non-roaming incoming calls are free). Calling out of country is somewhat more expensive but not outrageously so

So again we come around to the question of whether the phone is locked. There are probably hackers abounding on the board who can unlock phones by entering whatever the code is that unlocks it....they of course charge for this "service" (probably illegal but I don't see how it could be illegal to enter a code into a phone). also some merchaants in London and I presume other countries sell phones that are not locked where this should work....

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Laura

I'm planning on buying an unlocked phone either in the US or on arrival in Europe. I will be spending most of my trip in Italy and Greece and want to know what SIM card I should buy. I've tried getting as much English information and deciphering the Italian part of TIM's website and it seems like they have reasonable international roaming rates for using the SIM card outside Italy, but I'm not sure if or where I can buy this card. Has anyone had any experience with this card? If so, I would really appreciate any help!

This is my first trip to Europe and I will be travelling alone, thus I want the phone mostly for security reasons. However, I'd also like to use it to make convenient calls home or to make reservations, etc.

Thanks again!

Laura

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Jeff

Not sure where to buy such a phone in the US..don't think anybody sells an inexpensive one. There are some tri band SIM phones sold by Voicestream but they are very very expensive.

When you arrive in Italy, perhaps you can find a phone store where you can buy one for around $50 or $60. You, for the most part, buy the SIM card packs in the country you are using it.

So in Italy, the phone store will sell you a prepaid phone with a SIMS pack making the connection for whatever the going rate is.....