Pre Paid Credit Cards in Europe?

Feb 26th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

Pre Paid Credit Cards in Europe?

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with using a pre paid credit card in Europe,the UK in particular.

I have lousy credit and these are the only CC's I use. I do plan on bringing my Visa check card with me but I want to use the two pre paid CC's I have as well so not to have all my cash on one card. I do plan on speaking with Greendot(the cc company) to check what the rates and fees are etc but I was hoping to hear some first hand accounts of how easy and accepted these are overseas.
They are considered a debit card so I am assuming they can not be used in stores because of the new chip technology.
Thanks for any info you can provide.
Feb 27th, 2007, 05:57 AM
ira

Hi mt,

Are your cards prepaid Visa/MC?

Feb 27th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Hi ira they are both Mastercards.
Feb 27th, 2007, 09:19 PM

It doesn't matter to British merchants what your relationship to the card issuer is. It doesn't usually matter whether it's a credit or debit card. And you'll be able to get cash from any ATM that accepts Cirrus or Mastercard (which is more or less all)

If yours is a staightforward Mastercard, it's pretty close to plain sailing. If it's a Maestro, then acceptance at merchants is limited and you'll get some help (more about Britain than about the continent) at www.which-prepaid-card.co.uk (Caution: that site is designed to look as if it's produced by Britain's Consumer Asociation. It's not, so don't rely on it too much)

Lots of foreign cards - including most fancy platinum, diamond or other "look how important I am" ego-gratifyers - use steam age technology. Merchants who have foreign customers (practically everyone you'll come across in a normal tourist visit) are used to phoning for authorisation for these people, though other customers do get tetchy they're having to wait because someone's messing about with a card that really ought to be in a museum somewhere.

Some merchants (mainly in areas or businesses that don't get many foreigners) may well decide they haven't got the resources to hang on the phone alienating their real customers and may decline your business. Don't take this personally: they'll decline the Amex Superplatinum MeMeMecard presented by someone whose dad made a fortune in hogbellies just as quickly as a card from someone whose business went bust
Feb 28th, 2007, 02:51 AM
ira

Hi M,

Your MC cards should be readily accepted.