Pre-Lent festival in Patras, Greece

Jun 19th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Ninsun

Pre-Lent festival in Patras, Greece

I and a couple of friends are considering attending this festival- might anyone who has attended this festival please share their experience? Thanks so much for your help.

Jun 19th, 2002, 05:05 PM
Tricia

My husband is from Patras and he says it's great, you have to book rooms early it's like mardi gras (without the beads and nudity). There is parades, costumes, dancing in the streets and they throw choclates from floats. Basically he says it's a good time but he still hasn't taken me!

Jun 20th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Ninsun

Thank you for your response. I really appreciate it. A follow up question: does it affect your husband's opinion that our group will be comprised of three women in their mid-20s who are sensible and not easily offended? Just being cautious...

Jun 20th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Tricia

My husband thinks you would be fine I'm in my mid-twenties and though I've I haven't been to the festival I have always felt safe in Patras. His cousins (all girls)always talk about the festival, and their parents let them go with just their friends and they tend to be very protective.

Jun 20th, 2002, 08:17 PM
John G

I have been to Patras, but not for the Pre-Lenten Festival. I found the people of Patras to be quite friendly and welcoming.

I don't think there is much to do in Patras (I was only there for 3 hours), but I did visit a the main church in the city and was impressed with its ornamentation.

I think you would be safe in Patras, although I did see some unsavory characters near the port where the SuperFast comes in.

Jun 21st, 2002, 11:28 AM
Ninsun

Thank you for your responses.