Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Praiano versus Positano? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/praiano-versus-positano-462335/)

TexasAggie Jul 25th, 2004 04:29 PM

Praiano versus Positano?

Hello,
I have seen a host of threads about the charm and beauty of Positano, but very few about Praiano (except for Ira's wonderful trip report). It seems that accomodations in Praiano are much less expensive than in Positano, yet from the pictures I have found on the internet the two towns look very similar to one another. Also, from what I have read it seems that it is no more difficult to get around from Praiano than from Positano (the same Sita bus runs to both towns, correct?). So... what am I missing? There must be some substantial difference between these two towns! I'd love to hear from anyone who has been to one or the other or both as we are looking for a spot to stay 3 nights on the AC :-)

BowenLinda Jul 25th, 2004 05:31 PM

topping for Aggie...

yipper Jul 25th, 2004 05:50 PM

Hi,
We stayed a week in Praiano at the Tramonto D'Oro. It is a wonderful hotel on the cliff overlooking the sea. It has a fabulous roof top pool and gracious owners. The views from the hotel rooms, pool, restaurant etc. are the "to die for" views. But Praiano is a small town with the main road going through it. From Praiano you can see Positano and get a SITA bus to Amalfi, Ravello, or Positano. Positano is not large but a village that cascades from the main road down to the sea. It has a lot of shops and restaurants. I loved staying in Praiano and would again. It is quieter, I loved the hotel, and I so enjoyed having a drink at a local cafe and watching the traffic get all tangled up and then straightened out. There is a lovely path from the back of the hotel or from the church that takes you to the sea and to a little beach with a cafe and sun beds. The hotel can arrange for a small boat to pick you up and take you to a larger boat that goes to Capri. The bus stops in the town center. There are several restaurants and hotels, but it is simpler and quieter than Positano. You can not go wrong in either town. It is so beautiful there, that you will only be thankful to be alive and enjoying such splendor.

Weadles Jul 25th, 2004 07:45 PM

I think it IS more difficult to get around from Praiano than Positano. When we visited, I was under the impression that there are fewer buses available from Praiano to other towns along the coast than there are from Positano, but I could be wrong. Does anybody have a definite answer about this? Ira? Steve James?

As far as the two towns go, it really depends what you're looking for on vacation. We stayed in Positano, and loved it despite the crowds because it offered such a wide choice of restaurants, cafes, shops,art galleries, beach, all within a tiny area. If you could do with less, and prefer a quieter place, you'd probably do well in Praiano.

SeaUrchin Jul 25th, 2004 08:51 PM

Ira, must be asleep at the wheel, so I will answer, I have stayed lengthy times at both. Positano and Praiano share the same little bus that goes back and forth and up to Montepertuso. Then the SITA bus stops in both towns also.

It is just that Positano has more going on, with the shops and restaurants as mentioned and better beaches with access to the ferry which stops there.

Positano is more upscale and Praiano is more of a bedroom community for the locals. Both have lovely views of each other. Either one is nice.

Melissajoy Jul 26th, 2004 01:32 AM

Positano and Praiano are very different. Each has a different kind of charm. We visited both of them on a day-tour, and our hotel was in Sorrento.

Here's how I would describe them. Praiano feels like a little fishing village. It's very laid-back. If you think of your hotel as a place to just relax and get away from the crowds, Praiano is the place for you. Little seafood restaurant on the beach, very casual, good fresh seafood for reasonable prices.
Positano feels like a chic little town full of window-shopping and boutiques cascading all the way down to the beach. If you stay in Positano it will tempt you with its many boutiques...full of tasteful and expensive clothing, purses, art, etc. If you want lots to do and places to walk near your hotel, stay in Positano.

Hope this helps! Both are very appealing, each for different reasons.

ira Jul 26th, 2004 04:00 AM

Hi TA,

Boy, go away for an evening and you're considered a slacker. :)

Very good descriptions above.

Positano does have more to interest the casual visitor than Praiano, but we found it to be more commercial.

We really liked stopping off at the plaza in front of the church after dark and looking out to the twinkling lights of Positano.