Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Praiano, Positano or Amalfi as a base for 3 days with a car? Please critique the itinerary as well.

Praiano, Positano or Amalfi as a base for 3 days with a car? Please critique the itinerary as well.

Aug 24th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

We will be taking a 13 day car trip from Milan MXP with 14-year old daughter Oct 3 - 16,
2 nights Varenna Royal Victoria, day trip to Lugano, Belaggio.
passing through Verona to Venice
2 nights Venice, Lido hotel with parking
Day trip to padua, mantova, modena
2 nights Florence
Rome via Orvieto, maybe Siena
2 nights Rome (car parked) Residenza Antica
3 nights Positano Posa Posa
(car parked mostly) ferry to Capri/Ischia (spa?). We are planning to attend a open air concert at villa Rufino in Ravello on Oct 12 9:30 PM.
Naples Oct 15th via herculanum drop the car overnight trenitalia to Milan MXP 10:25 am to EWR.

Any feedback appreciated
-e
Aug 24th, 2005, 12:07 PM

whew, you are going to be some tired puppies by the third day...

you are packing in way too much and availing yourselves of way too little into your schedule. is this your first trip to italy? if so, you're doing yourself (or your daughter, should it be HER first time) a disservice.

i'm going to let the others weigh in before i make ny suggestions...

Aug 24th, 2005, 12:17 PM
ira

Hi enroute,

You might want to consider that eeach time you change hotels you lose about 1/2 day.

Does your hotel in Positano have parking?

You might have to take your car to Ravello. Check schedules at http://www.sita-on-line.it/

Aug 24th, 2005, 01:04 PM

Well, I don't think you'll see much of Verona by just passing through on the way to Venice, so you might reconsider that and stop somewhere for a wonderful lunch on a square in a town along the way. (Sorry I'm at the downstairs PC and don't have my Italy map at hand, I'll check later).

If you are staying on Lido, you will essentially be daytripping into Venice to see Venice. I think you should forget about Padua, Mantova and Modena. Enjoy Venice and use vaporettos to get around. You can easily fill two days that way.

I think we spent as much time trying to find how to get to our hotel in Florence as we spent driving from Venice to Florence. Be prepared! You might want to drive to Rome through Chianti and I would suggest stopping in a smaller town than Sienna -- maybe Monteriggioni and then head for Orvieto, however you would then likely be entering Rome at evening rush hour. It might actually be better if you went to the Amalfi coast from Florence/Tuscany and "finish" in Rome so that you drop your car there. Take the train from Rome to Milan to fly home.
Aug 24th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all, great suggestions. This is my DH's and my 4th or so trip to Italy. We both spent 2 months in Rome/Ostia many years ago and covered some of the North, Venice, Florence, Siena. He's been to Naples and AC as a teenager. I haven't. We like to drive and enjoy the freedom it affords. A relatively fast pace is OK. It's envigorating, and we will have some downtime on AC and in Venice.
We will definitely stop in Verona for lunch, thank you uhoh.
Ira,

The hotel in Positano has parking at extra cost. We planned to drive to Ravello b/c of the late hour, and generally take ferries and buses around AC.

My daughter has never been to Italy. Lugano is on the itinerary because (at the risk of sounding vulgar) it is my preferred clothes shopping spot, we are going there from MXP with my daughter before checking in in Varenna. My DH is flying in 2 days later. We are picking him up at MXP and going to Venice. No further clothes shopping, I promise.

Padua, Mantova or Modena on the way from Venice: we will have to pick 1 or two just to get a feel for future itineraries.

Anything else glaring?
Many thanks,
-e
Aug 24th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

uhoh,
I liked your suggestion to finish in Rome. I was just trying to move from north to south as weather gets generally colder. I would have to re-book hotels, but it may be worth it. Thank you very much.

Ira,

Point well taken about 1/2 days lost. What would you cut out of the itinerary?
Many thanks,

-e
Aug 25th, 2005, 06:28 AM
ira

Hi en,

My first thought of what to drop is Rome, but I am not a Rome fan.

However, itmight be better for you to skip Florence and add one day to Venice and one to Rome.

>Naples Oct 15th via herculanum drop the car overnight trenitalia to Milan MXP 10:25 am to EWR.<

Are ou taking the night train to Milan in the hope that you will get to a 10:25 AM flight out of MXP?

Unless you want to sleep in your seats, you will have to take the 20:35 arriving Milan Centrale at 07:15.

You then have to take the bus to the airport.

You are cutting this very close.

Aug 25th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Dear Ira,

Thank you for all your thoughts. Agreed on Rome. We may just pass through and show our daughter San Pietro. I have to rethink the whole second half b/c couchette does not seem to be available when we need it and seats overnight, esp. before the 10-hour flight are out of the question.

Another huge new variable. My half-Italian cousins from Israel emailed last night they may be joining us in Tuscany. While I can't contain my joy, I may need to allow more time in the North. Waiting to hear details from them. Then back to the drawing board.
Will re-visit. Many thanks again.
-e