Reload this Page >

Praha/ What to buy/driving

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 10:00 AM
Paul

we are driving to Praha for a few days on an upcoming trip to Germany. What is there to buy and any tips or insights on driving in from Frankfurt via Bamburg<BR>Thanks Paul

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 11:30 AM
Linda

Garnets, crystal and puppets were the big items when I was there. But you can find nice small items at the flea market on Saturday. Beclarovka (sp?) was a fun gift for my friends who drink and inexpensive--kind of a everyman Czech drink (you definitely feel it going down).

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 02:39 PM
Gloria

We were just there and my husband purchased a pair of gorgeous Garnet earrings for me. There are stores everywhere selling them. I took mine to a jeweler here and they appraised out at 6 times the money spent on them. He said the quality was very good. We also purchased an oil painting from a small gallery near the castle. It is very nice and I am soooo pleased with it. <BR>Good luck & safe travels! <BR>Gloria <BR>

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 02:59 PM
Marge

As your other answers stated, GARNETS are the thing to buy. Be careful where you buy them, but most places are honest. I found the gift shop at the Prague airport has prices very competitive with shops in town. Crystal is also a very good buy - be certain it is Bohemian **** or other equally as good quality. I went to the Bohemian factory in Podebrady where crystal was very reasonable and thebest buys on Garnets was in Ceske Budejovice but you may not have time to visit these places. I drove from Prague to Klingenthal, Germany and found the roads well maintained and well marked but cannot be of help otherwise

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 05:20 PM
Mese

Yes....garnets and Bohemian hand cut crystal. I bought both....(2) reputable stores in Old Town are Rott and Esgret (spelling?)...you can't miss them...they are in close proximity to the Astronomical Clock. We went on a tour and our guide Martina told us that these stores have genuine merchandise....and it is all SO cheap....enjoy!

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 12:16 PM
amg

Paul, <BR> <BR>In addition to the garnet jewelry you will find alot of Amber - green, yellow, and white. I had not noticed amber jewelry in the US alot until I got home. It is becoming much more popular (so it makes great gifts) and is much more expensive in the US. <BR>Have fun! <BR>Aileen <BR>