Prague-- where to stay?? what to do??

Jun 10th, 2019, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Prague-- where to stay?? what to do??

Hi. We will be in Prague for 3 days in July. Where would you stay? Two families-- want to stay in airbnb--either for 12 or smaller groups. What neighborhood? What to do? Thanks. I went 15 yrs ago but do not remember it well. Thanks!
Jun 11th, 2019, 10:49 AM

I wouldn't stay in an Airbnb for a stay of only 3 days myself. BUt I don't travel with a large family (I presume that means children). It is unrealistic to expect to find any apartment for 12 people, of course. In any case, I think there are a few Prague agencies that are decent as I've read reports on here, but I can't name them. But I think it's actually easier to find a reasonable vacation apt. in Prague than many other cities. If you have 2 families and each family is about 6 people, even that is a lot for an apartment.

I like being near the center, as many tourists do for convenient, which means relatively somewhat near Old Town Square, at least within a couple km. Especially for such a short stay. I really like the Josefov neighborhood and have stayed there, or near Namesti Republicky metro stop. Some others like the area across the river, Mala Strana. I was never a fan myself of that area. Plus, it's hillier over there so you have to be careful about that issue and if that will cause you problems (like hiking up a hill back to your place at night).

what to do? I imagine you must have done the highlights the first time but I'd say for sure: Old Town Square and the castle complex up the hill. Combine any of these with the Charles Bridge and walking around shopping, say in Mala Strana or near the main Square. St Nicholas church in Mala Strana is beautiful. Most people visit the old Jewish quarter and its cemetery and old synagogues. Spanish Synagogue is really nice. Then there are numerous art museums/galleries. Some up near the castle.
Jun 11th, 2019, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I actually found a few nice apartments for all 12! We have not decided. Heard of Vinohrady area? Is that a good neighborhood to stay in? I have a friend who lives there but she is in a different part of town and said this might be good. I have also found a couple of hotels.
Is there a good boat tour? Or any particular restaurants?
Thank you for your detailed message Christina.
Jun 11th, 2019, 02:02 PM

I also wouldn't do an AirBnB with 12 people for only 3 days in a place you are not familiar with. Too much can go wrong with rentals. Last thing I'd want is to be in charge of a group and in a place without sheets (or whatever!) -haha.
Jun 12th, 2019, 09:40 AM

Hey there,

Vinohrady is a great area - full of charming buildings, safe (as are most parts of Prague, minus pick-pocketing that takes place in high-tourist areas, like in most European cities), and fairly close to the center. Make sure you're near the Namesti Miru or Jirijo z Podrebrad metro stops or at least next to a tram stop (preferably Tram 22, which goes to most of the tourist spots like the ones Christina listed above). If you stay in Vinohrady and are going in the spring, summer, or fall, make sure to check out Riegrovy Sady, a beer garden in the neighborhood with amazing views - great for everyone, even non-beer drinkers, because of the park-like atmosphere and views.

You can also walk to a lot of places from Vinohrady if you're feeling ambitious. It's like a 20 minute walk to Wenceslas square, and from there you can head into New Town, then Old town, etc. OR take the tramp or metro a few stops!
Jun 12th, 2019, 01:06 PM

Sure, the Vinoradhy area is nice enough. It's Prague 2, I believe and is a pretty large area. It's nice but it really depends where you are as to how convenient and you are going to have to learn about the bus/tram etc system and the metro to get anywhere and back.

there is an important old cemetery out there and great views from it as it's up high.
Or at least it borders that district. Some important composers are buried there.

Sorry, I've never taken a boat tour but I'm sure that would be nice and if there is more than one company, probalby not too different. I'd just go by cost and description, I'm sure you can find some online in advance, or the TI office in the main Old Town square has lots of info and brochures on stuff like that.

I don't stay in that part of town so don't know any restaurants over there.

this is the cemetery you should visit out that way
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vy%C5%A1ehrad
Jun 12th, 2019, 02:16 PM

I loved Prague. The restaurant that I think of most often was called U Fleku! Our cab driver suggested it as a good spot for our first meal and we ended up going twice. The food was excellent and the atmosphere was really fun. They had large community style tables as well so it would work for a large group! Must try the honey liqueur.
Jun 13th, 2019, 09:10 AM

Not a guided tour, but paddle boating on the Vltava is really fun and a surprisingly great way to see the sights from the river! Super cheap, too.
Jun 13th, 2019, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

So great. WE are set with an excellent place in Prague 1. So now-- we have one afternoon and evening when we arrive. A full day and then that evening before we leave. Would love to hear anything we should look to buy or try-- eat- there? Great info above. Thank you.
Jun 14th, 2019, 08:52 AM

Buy? YOu'll no doubt see a zillion shops selling souvenirs or things Prague is known for. The main things I can think of are crystal, garnet jewelry and amber jewelry. There are many jewelry shops. I bought a small crystal vase once I like, but that stuff is heavy and breakable, so I don't buy a lot of stuff like that when traveling. Now jewelry is small and easy.

for garnets, I like Granat Turnov, the coop, on Dlouha.
https://www.prague.eu/en/object/places/147/granat-turnov

There is also a jewelry shop I like near the main square old church, at 8 Celetna.