Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Prague? What to do? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/prague-what-to-do-734083/)

janderson977 Sep 4th, 2007 12:39 PM

Prague? What to do?

My wife and I are going to be going to Prague as part of our honeymoon next week. We are going to be there for 2 days and nights. We have heard a thousand times that Prague is "Great" and "Beautiful" but no one can give us any advise as to what to do. Any suggestions?

We are staying at the Hilton, Ever been there?

ira Sep 4th, 2007 12:41 PM

Hi J,

Look up Prague under "Destinations".

lucy_d Sep 4th, 2007 12:57 PM

You could do Prague castle, Old Town, Jewish sites and the Municipal House in a couple of days.

weber6560 Sep 4th, 2007 01:24 PM

I think the Old Jewish Cemetary is very moving.

Greekgazoo Sep 4th, 2007 03:56 PM

I feel the same way!!! We are going to Prague for 4 days at the end of the month, everyone says its their favorite city, but all they tell me are like 3 sites (Prague castle, Old Town and Charles Bridge). Sure there is more than that if this is the greatest city.

Florence is my favorite city and i can give 25 things to do there.

marginal_margiela Sep 4th, 2007 04:23 PM

The Hilton is an absolutely horrid location. I would book another hotel.

nytraveler Sep 4th, 2007 04:26 PM

Prague is a city not just to see things but to do things. Besides the Castle/Cathedral complex and Golden Street, the entire Jewish quarter, Old Town Square/Town Hall and this entire neighborhood (uniquely preserved since the Czechs were thrown to the Nazis before WWII started) there are numerous fascinating museums and churches.

Also - there is an incredibly exciting culture scene - with a huge array of musical offerings of all types - from pop to opera, ballet, symphony - in incredible number and at very reasonable prices.

Also - a very lively - and high quality restaurant scene - with truly high end places costing perhaps half what it would be in western capitols.

wallyhook Sep 4th, 2007 04:54 PM

Take a walk....start at the Old Town Square, go by the Astronomical Clock, over the Charles Bridge to Mala Strana and up to the Prague Castle....plenty to see along the way.

adnil1962 Sep 8th, 2007 12:05 PM

I was there for the entire month of July and posted a trip report listing activities and food. Just do a search on adnil1962 - I posted it the first week of August 2007. Feel free to e-mail me with questions.

crazychick Sep 8th, 2007 02:35 PM

For a 2 day homeymoon trip I would take a horse drawn carrige trip. Maybe a boat trip on the Vltava River, it is not a very long boat trip. There is also the chance of a trip in an old fashioned car with a guide, but not sure where it could take you as cars would not be able to go up alot of the streets.The Vitus Cathedral is a must and is Situated within the Castle Complex. Yes the castle has to be done. I would ask the holtel for a good tram map, but if I recall the tram 22 takes you up to the Castle area it is a bit of a hike up. So get the tram or metro up and walk back. There is so much to do and see you could spend 2 day trips there. Read up first and pick what you really want to see in the castle area.If you want to see the changing of the guard is at 12 midday, so make sure you allow plently of time to find the place it happens in the castle. You then walk back down at the other side of the castle down the narrow steps in to Mala Stran(Lesser Town) and then over Charles Bridge in to Stare Mesto (Old town) area. ( you have to walk over charles bridge it is a must do))
It is nice to stop and sit outside on the Old town square for a drink and watch the world go by. Prices for food and drinks are more expensive on the square but that is expected. There is a nice pastry shop just opposite the Astronomical Clock Tower you could get a coffee and a cake while watching the crowds. Make sure you have a nice stroll along the river bank in the evening when dark it is lovely and so romantic with evry thing all light up. Nove Mesto(new town) does not do a lot for me lots of high street shops and night clubs off the main square, and there is the National museum at the end of Wenceslas Sq. I was not that impressed with the content but the entrance inside was lovely and worth looking at if you are over that way.To be honest new town and old town are so close and it is not a long walk to go over to Wenceslas Sq. for a walk around to take a look. I have been a few times and the last time was the first time I managed to get to Josefov (the jewish Quarter) . I did find that very moving and it took about half a day to do it all. Thou I suspose you could wizz through it in a couple of hours. You could maybe take in an oprea and a nice meal. There is loads more but with only 2 days you will be pushed to fit it all in.