Trucker's strike - should I be worried?

Old Jul 26th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trucker's strike - should I be worried?

I see on the Rick Steves website that truckers are threatening to strike on Aug 5. As luck would have it, that's the day my family and I are departing for Italy. The news report says that a strike has the potential to disrupt all public transportation and even car rentals.

I am counting on using trains to travel between cities (Pisa, Florence, Venice) and a rental car to tour around Tuscany. Now I feel like I should have a plan B, but I don't know where to start.

Have you experienced a strike while traveling and how did you deal with it?
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 06:27 PM

In my experience, strikes in Italy are usually for a set period of time, not for an unending number of days until and agreement is met. Public transportation goes on strike every month or two. They set the day months in advance and even set the times. "Th strike will last for 24 hours beginning at 9AM on June 24" and the like. I've experienced some transport strikes that were just 4 hours.

Did the posting say that the strike was set for August 5? Did it give the times of the strike? Was there any indication that it was for longer than just that day?

Even in the case of a strike, a certain number of trains are guaranteed to run. Here is a link to information about those trains:
http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...003f16f90aRCRD
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 07:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>I am counting on using trains to travel between cities (Pisa, Florence, Venice) and a rental car to tour around Tuscany.
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies.

We are traveling over the course of two weeks beginning Aug 5.

The article I saw does not specify a length for the strike, but it goes on to say that the last time truckers went on strike, fuel and food shortages resulted. I interpreted that to mean that the strike must have lasted for some period of time.

http://ansa.it/web/notizie/rubriche/...t_9075080.html

I did some on-line researching and found that a trucker's strike in Jan 2012 lasted a week.
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 02:59 AM

Are you coming from the US or Asia? If you are flying to Italy Aug 5, you won't get here until Aug 6, and the strike will be over.

I am not sure why a trucker's strike would disrupt trains. What it could do, however, is create petrol shortages in some places. If you are renting a car upon arrival, make sure the rental company has given you a full tank of gas before you drive off. You won't use up a whole tank of gas driving to Tuscany.

Regarding traffic jams, what a great opportunity to get off the beaten track! Pull off the highway to the nearest small town, have something to eat, have a stroll through town, ask the locals what is of interest nearby.
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Checking the website you gave me, it seems like this strike is scheduled to last one day. I hope we can count on that!
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Stevewith. I think we posted at the same time.

Good advice from everyone and I feel much better.

I've bookmarked the websites and will continue to monitor things.
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 03:06 AM

Hi again, ethylene, we were typing at the same time.

Fuel and food shortages can happen fairly quickly if truckers aren't trucking. But if you keep your gas tank half full it really won't be a problem. You are highly unlikely to use up a whole tank of gas touring Tuscany. As for "food shortages," you won't starve. But if you go looking for milk in the supermarket, you might find an empty shelf.

If the strike goes for the duration of your stay, just make sure you have lined up a reliable way to get to the airport for your departure.
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I am mostly concerned about public transportation, especially trains.

I'm hardly worried about starving in Italy. Quite the opposite! I'm thinking that perhaps I should buy some stretch pants to take with me!