Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Prague tour guide and Aria Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/prague-tour-guide-and-aria-hotel-381187/)

palione Dec 8th, 2003 06:40 PM

Prague tour guide and Aria Hotel

Has anybody stayed or visited the Aria Hotel in Prague? I think it opened this past summer and it appears to be as expensive as the 4 Seasons. Also sounds like hiring a guide is a good idea even though I am not a guide person. I will be in Prague Jan 20-28. Mahalo for all responses. I love this format so much good information

nytraveler Dec 9th, 2003 02:05 AM

I;m not sure why you would want to hire a guide in Prague - unles you would hite one in London or Paris as well. It's a very easy city to get around and people everywhere speak at least a smattering of English. You can guide yourself with any of the basic guidebooks. Also, the Town Hall has listings of walking tours (1 or 2 hours in a specifric neighborhood) which are really informative and interesting and inexpensive (not at all lke the usaul city 1/2 day tour).

Sorry - I don't know about this hotel. Hope you have a great time.

Maira Dec 9th, 2003 02:09 AM

We took a morning tour of Prague and it was a great way to get familiar with the layout and highights of this beautiful city. I also took with me the Fodor's Edition of Prague, which was an excellent guide book. Remember to leave space in the luggage for all the wonderful shopping you can do in Prague! :-D Have a great trip!

Christina Dec 9th, 2003 09:33 AM

I haven't stayed in it, but the location is very good, so you don't need to worry about that. It looks great from the web and I like the musical theme.

I just wanted to add that I know a couple people on here named 1-2 Prague guides, but I think they were personal guides, not any tour guide. I like day trip companies a lot for places where the logistics make it more difficult on your own, and Prague has some great day trip companies.

Other than that, I would never hire a personal guide myself within a city as I can look at things myself and read about them. I enjoy doing that and wouldn't want a guide. You may enjoy it for some reason, but I just wanted to say there is no reason at all you need a personal guide in Prague compared to any other major city. IN fact, there might be less as the main central area with top things tourists would want to see is fairly small and easy to navigate. So, I wouldn't say hiring a guide is a "good idea" per se if you don't want to -- there's no reason you must.

LLC Dec 9th, 2003 04:57 PM

I've been having trouble posting, so I'll keep this short in case it doesn't post. We don't usually use a guide, but I heard such great things about a young tour guide in Prague that we booked her for a whole day, and I'm so glad we did. She was just delightful, speaks excellent English; we learned so much that we would have never gotten out of a book. Sarka Pelantova (Sara) at [email protected] or at her website at www.prague-guide.info She is terrific, can't recommend her enough. And what a bargain at 13 euro per hour with a discount for a full day. Don't know anything about your hotel, its new, but everything I've read sounds great. Prague is wonderful. Dress warm for January though!

amp322 Dec 9th, 2003 07:30 PM

Is that the hotel in Mala Strana? If so, it is right near the US Embassy. I walked past it last summer. Give us the review, if you stay there, It got much hype in the Prague Post.

elaine Dec 10th, 2003 09:57 AM

Fodor?s forum April 03: "I have been to Prague on 3 trips and would highly recommend dana chaloupka as a tour guide. She is extremely nice, helpful and knowledgeable. I think you would be very pleased. She can be reached at [email protected] or [email protected] "
elaine?s note: Dana?s tour guide services were also highly recommended to me by two friends of mine, who used her services in May 2003.

travelnut1065 Dec 11th, 2003 06:18 PM

We hired Sabina 2 years ago. She is no longer in Prague but her friend Martina is going to give us a personal tour in March. She is a student and sounds great too. YOu can e-mail her at [email protected]
It is really nice to have someone give more insight in to the area; a nice personal touch and nice to speak to a local.

MelissaHI Dec 11th, 2003 11:20 PM

I had to split my full day tour into 2 half days when I visited Prague, so I got to meet both Martina and Sabina. Both were wonderful, but I liked Martina a lot better (more complete information on things).

Ahui hou!

lizleonard May 7th, 2004 08:40 AM

Did you get to stay in the Aria hotel? I am booked to stay in July but would like some honest feedback

tledford May 8th, 2004 05:53 AM

I got back from prague last night and did not stay at the Aria. However, we did stop by to ask directions and were so impressed that we took a card to think about staying there another time. The lobby gave me a great impression and nice, nice staff.

mauld Jul 22nd, 2004 06:43 AM

I'm booked at the Aria for mid Aug, so I'd be interested in hearing your impressions. Also as my rate includes transport from the airport, but not returning, does anyone know how I would get to the airport via public transport from that section of Prague?

ThinGorjus Jul 22nd, 2004 08:36 AM

Just to let you know so you aren't startled, all cars and taxis that approach the streets surrounding the US Embassy are stopped and searched by the police.

Christina Jul 22nd, 2004 09:34 AM

If you are going to stay at an expensive hotel like that, I really would not try to save such a very small amount of money by taking public transportation to the airport as there is no metro stop there. Prague car drivers are quite cheap and the airport isn't very far out of town. You can get there for about the equivalent of 10-15 euro.

Also, a hotel like that should have a private driver the guests can use with a flat fare to the airport so you don't have to worry about taxis; if not, they can call one of those airport shuttles for you.