Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Prague to Mikulov (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/prague-to-mikulov-495650/)

Renee Jan 15th, 2005 10:33 AM

Prague to Mikulov

I just learned about this town as a potential daytrip from Prague. My only problem is what is the best way to get there? Also, I would love to hear from people who've been there and their impressions of it.

TIA,

Renee

orchid68 Jan 15th, 2005 05:30 PM

Renee, I am trying to fit Mikulov and Boskovice into my intinerary. Since I will not be driving, it is difficult. I was even thinking of staying in Brno and getting a driver to take me to Boskovice, which you should check out, and Mikulov. I am sure that will be costly, though. Since I will be going to Vienna, maybe I can work it in from there. It is about a one- to two- hour car ride from there. That, too, will probably be off the wall. I hope that both of us can work it into our trip for they sound very interesting. Have a great trip.

ellie

Christina Jan 15th, 2005 07:05 PM

I haven't been there, although elsewhere in the Czech Republic and Prague -- but that's too far for a day trip, it's almost on the Austrian border, isn't it? Well, I suppose you could if you could get a private driver, but even then, I would imagine it's about 4 hours from Prague.

Renee Jan 16th, 2005 04:31 AM

Ellie,
Thanks for the heads up about Boskovice...I'd never heard of it before. I hope that each of us will be able to figure out the logistics in getting there!

Christina,
Thanks for telling me about the distance....well, if we do it, we'll probably have to stay over...which is ok....or I'm still open to considering an alternative that's closer to Prague.

tomboy Jan 16th, 2005 07:27 AM

There's an excellent pension/inn we stayed at two years ago, in Buchlovice. I think they have a website, google "Buchlov Park", and you'll find it. Reasonable, near attractions, horseback riding, pool, and a great restaurant. Best salmon of my life, believe it or not. It's about 25 miles from Mikulov, Lednice, etc.

Too far for a day trip.

Michal Jan 18th, 2005 01:26 AM

Renee, I´m from Mikulov (I´m sorry my English isn´t well). I´m surprised, you are interested to Mikulov. The town is about 150 miles from Prag (2.30 hours by car, 4 hours by train or bus) I think you need min two days to explore Mikulov and surroundings (Lednice-valtice area). In Mikulov is Very seductive chance to explore viticulture and wine in small wine-cellars of mikulover wine-growers, taste local wines. You have my invitation. I would like to be your guide. my e-mail: [email protected]. More information about town: www.mikulov.cz

Renee Jan 18th, 2005 03:50 AM

Thanks, Tomboy and Michal!

Michal,
I learned about Mikulov for the first time thanks to your reply (and someone else's) to me in another thread. Thanks so much for the suggestion, I appreciate it. I will definitely consider it and if I decide to do so I will certainly email you.

tomboy Jan 18th, 2005 07:43 AM

IF (that's a BIG if) you would be so interested, there's a museum of Czech folk stuff at Uheriske Hradiste (please excuse my spelling) which my wife and I found utterly fascinating. It contains numerous examples of the folk costumes people wore prior to WW2 (perhaps even now for festivals). It was quite interesting that each area had unique clothing designs. The handiwork was incredibly intricate--I suppose if one were a peasant, there wasn't much to do in the winter other than sew. There are probably 30-40 manequins, maybe more, each with a different costume, each in a large display case with artifacts from the era which are appropriate to peasant-ness (carts, farming tools, etc). As I recall, it's about 50-75 miles NE of Mikulov.