Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Prague to Ljubljana in 2 weeks (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/prague-to-ljubljana-in-2-weeks-915067/)

xyz99 Dec 16th, 2011 08:07 AM

Prague to Ljubljana in 2 weeks

We (2 adults) are going back to Europe in August. Here is the plan, please take a look and let me know what you think.
We don’t like to rush too much, but time is limited, so we need to accommodate the two. We love old towns, markets, narrow streets, nature, amazing views, photography, good food.

DH wanted to see Prague. I wanted to see (and did not have time on previous trips) Hallstatt and lake Bled, so this is how the trip was designed.
We are flying on miles, and there was no convenient flight out of Ljubljana, so we are flying into Prague and out of Zagreb. Initial research shows we can rent a car (needs to be automatic) from Budget for about 1000 euros. Expensive…but time is more precious. I haven’t checked AutoEurope yet.

So, here it is:
Day 1 – 4 Prague; we have points, so we’ll stay at the Sheraton
Day 5 – rent the car and head to Cesky Krumlov, visit a castle on the way (Konopiště or Karlstejn ?). Stay at Hotel Konvice
Day 6 – explore Cesky Krumlov
Day 7 – drive to Hallstatt. Stay there for 3 nights. Any suggestions for places to visit, stop by on the way? Or maybe arrive early and explore the town in the afternoon? Stay at Gruner Baum
Day 8 – Depending on how day 7 goes, explore Hallstatt or maybe take a day trip to Berchtesgaden, Germany. It’s only 1 ½ hrs away, and it looks soooo nice…
Day 9 - Day trip to St Wolfgang and Wolfgangsee
Day 10 – Leave Hallstatt, visit Five Fingers and ice cave then drive to Lake Bled. Stay there for 3 nights at hotel Triglav
Day 11 – Explore Lake Bled and Vintgar Gorge
Day 12 – Day trip to Lake Bohinj
Day 13 – Leave Lake Bled, drive through the Julian Alps via Bovec to Piran. Stay there 1 night, at Hotel Piran. Hope to have a little time to explore Piran in the afternoon, but with a 4 hours drive + stops, it doesn’t seem possible.
Day 14 – A little more of Piran, then drive to Ljubljana. Stop to see Postonja cave on the way
Day 15 – Explore Ljubljana
Day 16 – Drive to Zagreb, fly out at around 1pm

I am pretty comfortable with everything until leaving Bled. From there, everything seems too rushed. Is it possible to do everything as above?

If not, should we eliminate Piran? Or the cave? Please don’t say both…

Thanks a lot

kja Dec 16th, 2011 07:23 PM

> I am pretty comfortable with everything until leaving Bled. From there, everything seems too rushed. Is it possible to do everything as above?

Depends on your interests!

I spent 2 nights in Bled - I got there in plenty of time for dinner, spent the next VERY long day visiting the castle, then Vintgar Gorge, then the boat to Bled Island, and then a walk around Lake Bled, followed by another wonderful dinner. I saw everything I wanted to see. If you prefer a more leisurely pace, give it at least 1.5 days.

I spent about an hour at Lake Bohinj, which is not far from Lake Bled. Gorgeous!

I visited Skocjan Cave rather than Postonja cave; counting the cave and a walk around the area (including its collection of tiny museums), I spent several hours.

I spent 2 nights in Ljubljana - as with Bled, I got there in time for dinner and then spent a very full day exploring this charming city. I visited several museums; if that isn't your thing, you could enjoy its highlights at a more leisurely pace (although I'd still give it at least a day).

(BTW, of these places, I visited Ljubljana first. I picked up a rental car late morning and went from there to Skocjan, made a brief stop in Predjama and then in Lake Bohinj and then went to Bled.)

I also spent several days in Zagreb, which I think is underrated, but those who don't like spending much time in museums might be less interested in it.

There are frequent trains between Ljubljana and Zagreb. It might be worth checking the difference in prices for your rental car.

Hope that helps!

xyz99 Dec 17th, 2011 04:49 AM

kja,
Thanks a lot for the detailed response, it really helps.
In Bled, we actually have 2 days, and plan to cover the Bled castle, the gorge, the walk around the lake and lake Bohinj. Altogether, it seems the same amount of time you had, so I guess we should be fine.

I will have to read more and compare the 2 caves, to decide which one to visit.

We are not museum people, but I am sure we’ll love the old part of Ljubljana and its castle.
Interesting suggestion about train to Zagreb…how far is the train station from the airport? What about the transfer?
Thanks

kja Dec 19th, 2011 10:35 PM

> In Bled, we actually have 2 days, and plan to cover the Bled castle, the gorge, the walk around the lake and lake Bohinj.

Yes, that should work well.

> We are not museum people, but I am sure we’ll love the old part of Ljubljana and its castle.

Understood. Still, if you have time, poke your head inside the National Museum for a peek at the main staircase. I thought it a true laugh-out-loud, I-didn't-see-that-coming moment!

>how far is the train station from the airport? What about the transfer?

Don't know! I drove into Zagreb from elsewhere in Croatia and took a train to Ljubljana. I flew out of the airport that is 1/2 way between Ljubljana and Bled.

BTW, I posted some reviews of restaurants in Bled, Ljubljana, and Zagreb (and elsewhere). If you are interested, see:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rant-notes.cfm

xyz99 Dec 20th, 2011 12:19 PM

kja,
The main staircase at the National Museum – now I’m curious. Promise, we’ll go in :)

Thanks for all the restaurant reviews, I am sooo hungry now.

Michael Dec 20th, 2011 12:30 PM

Between Cesky Krumlov and Hallstatt are some beautiful sites in Upper Austria. I think that most of these photos are geo-tagged so that you can coordinate the sites with your itinerary if they whet your appetite; from here http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...57622926792957 to the end of the set <u>Austria except Vienna</u>.

xyz99 Dec 23rd, 2011 12:27 PM

Michael,
Thanks a lot, will definitely stop on the way to Hallstatt. These sites look wonderful.