Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Prague to Krakow (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/prague-to-krakow-591737/)

ABYNRML Feb 16th, 2006 02:21 PM

Prague to Krakow

We are travelling from Prague to Krakow in September as part of a two week trip. I've heard the night train is a good way to travel but then I've heard horror stories about being able to actually sleep in a sleeper compartment and that the conductor wakes you up for your passport. I'm old and don't want to be so tired I'll be groggy for one third of our time in Krakow. So I am thinking of flying between the two cities. We're planning on flying out of Krakow to go to Venice after three days. Anyone ever taken the train? Any suggestions?

John Feb 16th, 2006 03:10 PM

Took the DAY train from Prague to Krakow last March. I believe it's about a 7 hour trip. I was in first class and though a long ride with not much to see, it was pleasant enough with friendly locals and a good book for a companion.
The Prague station is NOT a place one wants to spend a lot of time. Old, dirty and lots of homeless people as I remember it.
Have a safe trip. You'll LOVE Krakow!

Syl Feb 16th, 2006 03:34 PM

If you're traveling overseas to Prague by Czech Air, you can get a cheap flight segment for approx $110 from Prague to Krakow.It's less then an hour's flight.

John Feb 16th, 2006 05:33 PM

f
For that price I would definetly fly!

JEFF_ Feb 16th, 2006 05:36 PM

I too took the day train. It's a long day, not because it's so far, but because the train just seems to putt along--especially at the border. It stopped and started and stopped, etc. It was also the first time that I've been on a train in Europe that arrived quite late. I loved the two cities, but said I wouldn't take the train again. I recommend you fly.

thursdaysd Feb 16th, 2006 06:19 PM

According to bahn.de the night train gets in at 5:44 am - bit too early for me. I too took the day train, Aug 2004, although it was a EuroCity there was no AC and I had to change to a local for the last part of the trip. Some days there's a day SuperCity with a change to a EuroCity at Ostrava. In Sept. you may not miss the AC, but it is a long day.

panecott Feb 16th, 2006 07:03 PM

I took the night train from Prague to Krakow, and yes, you will be awakened in the middle of the night by passport control. It's unavoidable.
But the sleeper car was very clean and comfortable.
I was fortunate that my hotel, the Pollera, allowed me to check in on arrival in the early a.m.

ABYNRML Feb 17th, 2006 12:50 PM

Thank you all who wrote. I'm thinking a plane trip might be the way to go. Now, all I need is a hotel in Krakow. I guess that's too much to ask at this point!

John Feb 17th, 2006 02:08 PM

Don't know your budget but I stayed at the Pollera Hotel , what I would rate as a 3 star hotel, in Krakow only 2 blocks from Cloth Hall (main square)
Don't remember the rate but it was very reasonable, the staff was very helpfull (spoke reasonable english) and the room included breakfast. Web site is
www.pollerahotel.com
If you do a search on Fodors I'm pretty sure you will receive lots of good info. on hotels in Krakow.

Syl Feb 17th, 2006 03:59 PM

I recommend Globtroter Pension. We stayed there in October. It's a few minutes from Cloth Hall (the big square), good sized, modern room, clean & overlooks a treed courtyard.Owner very pleasant & obliging. Price extremely reasonable.

JEFF_ Feb 19th, 2006 01:34 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Polski in Krakow a few years ago. It's just inside the wall of the old town, close to the town square and an easy walk from the train station. It's an old building that has been redone very nicely. It's on the main pedestrian street. I asked for a quiet room on the courtyard (the back). It was about $100 and included a good breakfast buffet. http://www.podorlem.com.pl/

sights_soul Feb 20th, 2006 06:34 PM

All three hotels recommended in previous posts are good deals with nice, stylish rooms and pleasant staff. Globtrotter is really a guest house, so it does not include a breakfast but the friendliness of staff more than makes up for it. Otherwise, hotels in Poland always include breakfast in the room rate and it is not the minimal breakfast you get in Italy, for example but a full-blown buffet. Now, the only problem I foresee for you, ABYNRML is actually getting the room. With Europeans discovering Krakow, the demand has increased significantly over the last year or two and you will find many centrally located hotels booked already. You should call/email the hotel which you choose as soon as you know the dates. Enjoy Krakow, you'll love it!
Yolanta

LarryR2 Feb 21st, 2006 08:21 PM

I had the same dilemma, train or plane from Prague to Krakow. I've never done Europe, nor a long train ride, so I was initially keen on the 'train experience', but, alas I booked a flight on LOT Polish Airlines for $ 112.00 one-way.

I'd much rather use my limited vacation time seeing the city.

Based on a recommendation from another Fodorite, we're staying at Hotel Trecius, a B&B in the city. We'll be in Krakow early April. Their website:
http://www.trecius.krakow.pl/uk
We're paying $ 80 US / night.

Have a great trip!

ABYNRML Feb 22nd, 2006 05:47 PM

Thanks to all for the help. I checked out LOT Airlines and the prices are into the $900. for one way and round trip is out of sight. Where did LarryR2 get his great fare?

mrovka07 Feb 24th, 2006 09:52 AM

Hi.
I prefer to travel by train but sometimes is dangerous. I think plane from Prague to Cracov will be rather cheap. If you will be in Cracov, I have one suggestion about place where you can stay in. Travel Republic is an easy 5-minute walk from Krakow's main train & bus stations, and only about 200 metres (1/8 mile) from the Florianska gate -- the passageway to the historic Old Town and the clubs, cafes and restaurants on Europe's largest medieval market square. Our friendly staff speak Polish and English (they will do their best to communicate in other languages, as well) and they are at your service around the clock. www.travelrepublic.pl - check this site. I'm sure you'll be satisfied.