Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Prague to Cesky Krumlov to Vienna draft itinerary, please comment and suggest options

Prague to Cesky Krumlov to Vienna draft itinerary, please comment and suggest options

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on great information I have found on the board, I have started to rough out an itinerary for our trip this October. Further input would be greatly appreciated. (dining, shopping touring etc.)

Day 1 - Arrive in Prague and "check-in" to apartment Vlasska2, in Malna Strana. Shop for basic food provisions and walk around the general area. Early dinner and a good nights sleep.

Day 2 - Private tour with Prague-My-Love guide to iclude:Wenceslas Square, On the Moat, Art Nouveau Municipal House, King´s Coronation Way ,Powder Tower, Old Town Square, Old Jewish Town, One hour boat trip, the Lesser Town Quarter, Prague Castle, St. Vitus Cathedral, St. Wenceslas Chapel and the Bohemian Crown Jewels.

Day 3 - I am assuming that Day 2 will be busy, a little rushed and an overview more than anything - we will revisit things at which we wish to spend more time. Suggestions?

Day 4 - Suggestions?

Day 5 - Leave Prague and early morning travel to Cesky Krumlov (travel method is train or Lobo tours.) Intend to arrive by 2 PM and explore castle and town. Stay overnight in CK (lodging TBD)

Day 6 - Leave CK for Vienna (Travel method is TBD). Intend to arrive in Vienna by 2PM and "check in" to Apartment Augarten. Spend the afternoon riding the tram around the Ring, a coffee and a stop at Stephensdom. Dinner at the Kunsthistorisched Museum. (reservation is made)

Day 7 - AM at the Spanish Riding School exercize and the balance of the day in/around Hofburg Palace

Day 8 - Most of the day at Schonbrunn Palace, return to Inner ring and walk around the city. Furher suggestions??

Day 9 - Fly Home

Thanks in Advance!!!!

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 01:08 PM

Day 2 will indeed be busy. Jeez! What a load of things to see!

I'd recommend Strahov monastery on Day 3. If you're into classical music maybe visit the Dvorak and/or Smetana museums, maybe the Mozart museum.

Another good idea might be to visit Vysehrad, a bit outside and off the beaten path, but easily accessible by metro. Walk around on the grounds, definitely see the cemetery with the graves of Smetana and Dvorak, enjoy the views. If it is Saturday or Sunday you'll have the chance to see the interior of the Neo-Gothic church.

Definitely spend some time in a coffeehouse - either Cafe Slavia (vis-a-vis from the National Theatre) or Cafe Louvre on the second floor a bit up the same street (Narodni). Very atmospheric, have a good hot chocolate, coffee and/or palacinky (pancakes).

For Day 4 I'd recommend an excursion. Either castle Karlstejn or Kutna Hora. Both are very interesting.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Include in day 7 the Treasury, comparing the Hapsburg crown jewels to those of the Czech kings. The former had the biggest opal or ruby (I forget which) I've ever seen, or imagined. It was about the size of a goose egg, maybe bigger, definitely not smaller.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 04:49 PM

Quick question/comment on Day 2- Does the Municipal House include the tour of the upstairs rooms? You may want to make the inquiry with your guide. It is absolutely stunning, lavish and wonderful in every way. The only way to see the upstairs rooms is to book the tour, although you can just show up at the appointed time, which is what I did. I think the first tour begins at 10:00 a.m. For me, it is a must see.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 05:18 PM

Pension Barbakan was good value in CK.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:06 PM

You might want to check out www.mike-chauffeur.cz and www.pensionlobo.cz (click on shuttle near bottom) in regard to departure from CK. The train out of CK does not have good connections and will take a lot of time unless it has improved since last year. The
shuttle will take you to Linz and then you can take the train to Vienna. We used Mike's chauffeur service last year to take us from Prague to CK and CK to Passau and we were very pleased. Happy travels!
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions - thank so much!
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 06:09 AM

I, the Great and Powerful Thingorjus and the author of the famed "Pancaky Papers: Thingorjus in Praha" have some suggestions.

First, I would have to be hooked up to a ventilator, sweetie darling, after that horse race of DAY 2 touring! You can spend at least 5 hours just wandering around the "Castle Complex" and the surrounding streets. (Some great wine shops with good, inexpensive Czech wine.)

Second, you should really see the Loreto Convent. The convent has the MOST SPECTACULOR exhibit of church monstrances and chalices. Believe me, I wanted one jewelled monstrance to wear as a hat--I would walk all around Philly with it on my head, then go have lunch at Le Bec Fin. I know I would TURN HEADS! Two snaps, girlfriend!

The Mucha Museum is also wonderful. And even if you don't like to shop, you should really just go and have a peek at the beautiufl glass and stained-glass windows at MOSER on Na Prikope.

If you like soap and bath products, head to Dr. Botanicus. It is located behind the Tyne Church in Old Town Square. Fodor's uses MY ENDORSEMENT of this shop in its Prague Guide 2nd Edition. (Oh, WOW, I am soooooooo famous!)

For a fabulous meal in Prague, you have to eat at Restaurant David in Mala Strana. It is near the US Embassy. The food is ETHEREAL! The best foie gras!

As for Cesky Krumlov, it is one of the most beautiful towns I have ever seen. I can still remember looking down over the red rooftops of the houses--the leaves of trees shaking in the breeze--from the high wall near the Baroque Theatre. Better than a pair of Louboutin pumps!!!!!!!! OH!

What else do you want to know?

Thin
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 06:35 AM

Like your itinerary but agree day 2 will be a killer. You might consider doing the Castle, St Vitus, the Chapel etc on day 3. We spent a full half-day on those and still felt a little rushed.

Good plan to stay in CK. We did CK on a day trip and really wished we had planned on an overnight. I understand it's even more "magical" in the evening when the day tourists leave. Having said that, you still might be a little rushed, arriving at 2 and then leaving again in the morning in time to get to Vienna by 2. Think you'll easily be able to fill up your time in CK.

Sounds like a really nice trip.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Thingorjus, Dahling, I keep a copy of the now famous Pancaky Papers in my briefcase and your posts reminds me I need to re-review. This info. will go in that file as well. I am more than nervous about Day 2, but will allow the guide to do her thing and then pick up the pieces on Day 3.

The Convent is now on the "must do" list. My partner (a semniarian in his early life) must see all things holy wherever we go.... and a convent....who could resist? Odds are we'll end up with yet another religous object for our home which is well on it's way to becoming a shrine like tourist destination. Such is the cross I bear....

I on the other hand make up for it by collecting sets of china (over 35 sets these days). I must always have the perfect setting for any dinner party...any ideas on that sort of shopping???

thanks - seafox
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 09:48 AM

Oh, a seminarian? I always wanted to defrock a priest.

I can't remember any specific china shops in Prague. I have so much china that I have inherited from my family that I will never need to buy a dish again.

There are probably china shops on Na Prikope or Pariska Street (this is the Rodeo Drive of Prague). There are lots of shops that sell glass and plates on both sides of the Charles Bridge. Old Town Square also has lots of shops.

Most people buy crystal, amber and garnet jewellery, and wooden puppets in Prague.

Don't forget to go and see the Fred/Ginger Building.

Thin
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Thin - Fred/Ginger are on the list!
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 07:54 AM

Right next to the Municipal House is a department store "Kotva" - old and quite ugly looking from outside, but I found and bought very good and inexpensive porcelain there from the manufacture in Karlovy Vary.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions - Just got a confirmation for dinner reservations at David... looking forward to the meal already!
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 07:14 AM

I don't know if he is still there, but the head waiter at David was funny as hell when my mother and I dine there in July, 2004. He reminded me of a male Zza Zza Gabor. I think he was wearing eyeliner.

Don't be put off by the outside appearance of David--it looks like someone's house--because the food is fantastic.

Thin