Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Prague, Slovakia and Croatia (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/prague-slovakia-and-croatia-483233/)

greervy Oct 29th, 2004 11:43 AM

Prague, Slovakia and Croatia

Hello,

I am planning a romantic anniversary trip for my husband and I. I would like it to include Prague, Slovakia and Croatia. Has anyone ever made this trip? We would be departing and returning to New York. I would appreciate any information.
Thanks

elaine Oct 29th, 2004 11:49 AM

for those interested, Moulton Brown has been available in a very few stores here in New York, but they are now opening their own boutiques in the US
I don't know if they will ship within the US, but most places do these days

elaine Oct 29th, 2004 11:49 AM

oops. wrong thread
sorry

hunnym Oct 29th, 2004 12:29 PM

When will you be going, and for how long?

I like your trip choices a lot - but then I'm biased because I lived in Slovakia briefly (1993) and have a Croatian background. Unfortunately, I haven't been to either country since 1995, so I don't know how things have changed.

I would recommend reading some of the Croatian trip reports posted here, they are really interesting and informative.

offwego Oct 29th, 2004 12:40 PM

Hi

This is a great itinerary but you would need some time. Croatia and Slovakia are hard to "speed through" unless you stick to the major towns and then you really miss the best part of the experience.

Also, traveling the Croatian coast is a bit more difficult if it's not summer when all the ferries are in full operation. Europebyair.com is a good website for getting cheap flights from one city to another rather than spending time driving and trains are non existant to many places.

You can read my trip report on Croatia if you like

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34529600

There are many other good reports here that might help you decide where to go within Slovakia and Croatia.

Please tell us when you're going and how long you can stay and maybe we can help further.

SloJan Oct 29th, 2004 10:13 PM

How about Slovenia?
Cheers,
Jan

greervy Dec 28th, 2004 01:27 PM

Thank you all for the information and please forgive my tardiness in replying. Givnen the advent of the holidays the romantic vacation travel plans had been put on hold. Now that I have somewhat recovered emotionally if not financially, I'll pick up where I left off. The romantic holiday for two has now grown to neoclassic romance novelproportions and includes two other couples and a father-in-law. The itinerary is the same for now and we may stay 10-12 days. We are planning on the last week of May first of June. Reading other threads I am concerned about the temp of the water. I married the Incredible Mr,Limpet and he needs to frolick in sea like normal people need to breathe. Thanks for the many suggestions - if you have more do please send them my way and I promise to respond in more timely fashion now that the chubby guy in red has retired for the season.
Best to all!

Steff Dec 29th, 2004 06:54 AM

Yes, especially if you are going to the Croatian coastline, you're planning an awful lot even for 12 days.
We spent 11 days, went from Ljubljana, Slovenia, to Venice to Croatia, all the way down the coast to Dubrovnik. The trip was a good pace, but we did have to do some scrambling to make all our connections. A lot of logistical planning was involved. Croatia does not have rail lines as well developed as the rest of Europe, though the buses and ferries are good.
Also keep in mind, Prague/Slovakia are really not all that close to Croatia. Slovenia is.
All that said, the Croatian coastline is wonderful and I highly recommend it.

palette Dec 29th, 2004 07:43 AM

I was in Croatia and the surrounding areas in September, 04 with a guided trip. The counry is absolutely beautiful and so culturally rich. With the size of your group and the logistics of traveling, I would suggest you keep the trip to either just Croatia or Croatia and Slovenia (Lake Bled), or Croatia and a (professionally guided) day trip to Montenegro.

greervy Dec 29th, 2004 08:20 AM

After reading "offwego's" travelogue, I am convinced that a flight into Dubrovnik or Zagreb with a 1 or 2 day stay and then on to Korcula with day trips interspersed would be the least problematic given the size of the group. Prauge and Slovakia may have to wait for 2006. We have had great luck with VRBO rentals and found a villa in Korcula that seems dream-like. Has anyone heard of or stayed at Adriactic Homes? The rates are suprisingly inexpensive- the New Yorker in me has her antenna raised. The idea of a stop over in Paris is appealing. We will have an 8 hour flight there and maybe spend the night in the city of lights before flying on to Dubrovnick?- Zagreb? Anyone have a preferences and why? All still very amorphous our plans except for the amount of time we have to vacation- as working stiffs - that's pretty much set in stone.

To "offwego" saw the pictures Stunning! I am excited about seeing the croatia you captured so well.

hunnym Dec 29th, 2004 09:59 AM

Given the need for some in your party to frolic in the sea, I agree with some others that a trip to Croatia alone (or including Slovenia) might be the best option. It would be a lot of moving around for a time period of less than 2 weeks to include Prague and Slovakia, and they are not coastal countries.

As for water temps, I found a site that said that they range from 61F-70F in Apr/May/Oct and 68F-77F in June/July/August. Of course, it would depend on the specific weather you get when you're there and how far south along the coast you go.