Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Prague or Munich (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/prague-or-munich-1001690/)

caroline65 Jan 3rd, 2014 04:25 PM

Prague or Munich

We are sending our parents away on a river Rhine cruise in May. They have 3 days before the cruise begins and they can't decide whether to do Munich or Prague. They are in their 70's and Mum does find walking long distances difficult! Which place would you recommend?

iris1745 Jan 3rd, 2014 04:32 PM

HI caroline; Where does the cruise start? And end?

nytraveler Jan 3rd, 2014 04:43 PM

Well i prefer Prague based on it genuine historic architecture and unique culture. But what's more important is what THEY want to see/do,

Hans Jan 3rd, 2014 04:53 PM

I love Prague and would normally prefer it as a destination to Munich.

But it'd be probably much easier to get from Munich to the start of the Rhine cruise. From Prague you have probably a much longer train ride or need to take a flight followed by a train ride.

If I was in my 70's, had some difficulties to walk and only three days after a long flight with jetlag, I think I'd go for Munich. I think it'd be a way more relaxing way to start the vacation.

Where does the cruise start? Depending on that, they might even think about spending a night and half a day of sight-seeing there or in a city close to the starting point.

kja Jan 3rd, 2014 05:14 PM

To be of help, we need to know something about their interests.

caroline65 Jan 3rd, 2014 06:51 PM

They start their cruise in Budapest. They are flying with a group who will be doing the cruise with them. They fly in to Munich after having a night stop over in Singapore from departing from Melbourne. The rest of the group are then travelling to prague before they start the cruise. Mum and Dad thought they would like to see Munich as they have never been there before but are now having second thoughts. We are from German descent,and Dad has strong connections to the plight of Jewish people and interested in their biblical history. Mum loves castles etc.They are then catching a plane to Budapest to begin the cruise.

caroline65 Jan 3rd, 2014 06:53 PM

Sorry the cruise is a 15 day one and finishes in Amsterdam.

lucy_d Jan 3rd, 2014 06:53 PM

Again, without knowing their interests, it is hard to make a recommendation, but I loved Prague more than I liked Munich. Both are great cities, and I'm sure they will love either one. I've visited Prague twice, and would return. Munich, while lovely, would not warrant a second visit for me.

kja Jan 3rd, 2014 06:56 PM

Both cities are lovely and have some great things to see and do. I suspect that there is more of Jewish interest in Prague. Maybe others can say more that will help with a decision.

Leely2 Jan 3rd, 2014 07:26 PM

I have only been to Munich briefly when I was young and more interested in beer than history. But I was in Prague this past summer and I must say that the Jewish sites there are very, very moving. It is also an incredibly beautiful city with lots to see and do. Three days in Prague would not be enough for me.

joannyc Jan 4th, 2014 02:54 PM

I loved Prague, liked Munich... So my vote would be Prague.

Man_in_seat_61 Jan 4th, 2014 09:23 PM

I don't think there's any contest, setting aside personal connections.

Munich is a big city, see the Dom, see the Marienplatz, much as I like Munich the job's done in half a day. Prague is wonderful, and you could spend several days exploring it.

Don't forget you don't need a jet plane just to get from Munich to Budapest. there are daytime Railjet trains from €39 or an overnight sleeper from €79 with a bed in a 2-bed sleeper, www.bahn.de/en

Drachsi Jan 10th, 2014 05:55 AM

I would recommend Munich. I lived in the city for 10 years, and never a dull moment. There is a lot of info at http://www.perob.com which might help with the decision making.

iris1745 Jan 10th, 2014 06:00 AM

inyourpocket.com/Czech_republic/prague

kovsie Jan 10th, 2014 06:01 AM

Prague is very, very beautiful. Just make sure that their hotel does have an elevator, and that it is centrally located.

Goldens Jan 10th, 2014 12:47 PM

Munich would be my choice.
If they do go to Prague, Viatour offers a 2 1/2 hour "Jewish Prague Walking Tour". Your father may enjoy that.

eliztravels2 Jan 10th, 2014 02:32 PM

There is a very fine Jewish tour company in Prague, Wittman tours, which is worth a look. I loved Prague, but have never been to Munich so can't compare.

caroline65 Jan 30th, 2014 06:37 PM

Thank you everybody for your thoughts. They have decided to do Munich!