Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Prague Locations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/prague-locations-575964/)

lmedley Dec 12th, 2005 10:56 PM

Prague Locations

Please advise on which neighborhood would be closest for touring??? Kampa Island or New Town (location says within walking of Wenceslas Square)...anyone know about these hotels: Hotel Kampa Garden, Hotel City Inn, Hotel Golden City, Hotel U Suteru?

Having hard time finding a good place, and we want to be walking distance since it will be in January.

tedgale Dec 13th, 2005 03:53 AM

ttt

Kampa island is, literaaly, closer to the main tourist sights.

Moreover I probably would not choose the area around Wenceslas Square as my neighbourhood.

luckykat Dec 13th, 2005 04:54 AM

Hi, depending on how many of you there are and how long you're staying, I would also suggest you look at residence retezova who have lovely short stay apartments of all different sizes. They are 10 minutes walk from Charles bridge and have a lovely cafe below. I also stayed there in winter and was very happy i didn't have far to walk in the cold!

you can find more info about them on my site at:

http://www.mcdougalladventures.com/c...dence-retezova

Shalott Dec 13th, 2005 07:07 AM

Walking distance of Wenceslas Square could be quite central (as in, 5 minutes' walk to the Square), or it could be inconvenient (say, 20 minutes to the south of Wenceslas Square.)
Additionally, W. Square is I think the Times Square of Prague, in that it is mostly modern, commercial, not as beautiful (compared to other areas in Prague)
I agree with tedgale. I've stayed in Old Town and I've stayed at W. Square and would not want to stay on or near the latter again.

Shalott Dec 13th, 2005 07:07 AM

I meant to add, do a search here on Prague, you'll find lots of hotel and location suggestions. Use the little search box above.

Andrew Dec 13th, 2005 10:17 AM

Staying near Old Town is probably the most convenient for touring. That puts you near the Old Town Square, the Jewish Museum, and the Charles Bridge, within fairly easy walking distance. Still, if you stay near an underground station or a good tram stop, it doesn't necessarily matter where you stay as long as you aren't too many stops out. Prague's public transit system is excellent.

I stayed in both the Jewish Quarter and in Mala Strana (west side of the river), and although the Jewish Quarter was very convenient to attractions, I liked Mala Strana's feel - a neat old neighborhood. I would stay there again as long as I didn't have to stay on a steep hill(!) again.

Andrew

lmedley Dec 13th, 2005 10:58 AM

Thanks for your responses. Do you know anything about the following hotels and apartments: Hotel Three Drums, Hotel Elite, or Hotel Kampa Garden, Meteor Plaza; apartments: Residence Retezova, Apartments at Old Town Square (across from Spanish Synagogue).

angel_UK Dec 13th, 2005 01:36 PM

I would prefer to stay close to the Old Town Square to have a short walk home after long days on your feet!

We stayed in Hotel Metamorphis in apartment 21 two years ago,and were very happy with it. It is 80m from the Old Town Square and 500m from the Charles Bridge.

www.metamorphis.cz

We booked it through www.travelcook.com who offer discounts on lots of hotels plus 4 nights for the price of 3 offers.

The hotel U Prince in the main square looked very nice too. www.hoteluprince.cz

Andrew Dec 13th, 2005 04:35 PM

Any hotel across from the Spanish Synagogue is a good location, very close to Old Town Square and not far from a Metro stop. Otherwise, I don't know any of these hotels, sorry. Have you done a Google on them or tried TripAdvisor?

Andrew

basingstoke Jan 13th, 2006 12:06 PM

For anyone interested, the Hotel Kampa Garden is a great find. The description on it's web site is accurate. It opened only in September 2005 so everything is fresh. Rooms are a decent size and bright. Ask for one in the back--the view is great especially from the top floor (slanted cieling though). Views in front of building are not as good (the back of the Estonian Embassy). You can't beat Kampa Island as a location. It is directly under the Charles Bridge, is quiet, yet an easy walk to everything in old town. Trams are nearby. Some excellent restaurants within 100 yards of the hotel. I especially like the Kampa 15 accross the square. Elegant, wonderful food, reasonable prices.
Be advised-the hotel is completely non-smoking, so if you need to smoke, find somewhere else. There is also one room that completely meets ADA standards for accesibility. I hear that they are having a special now - about $65 for a double. You can't do better.

risab Jan 13th, 2006 01:53 PM

I would not stay near Wenceslas Square. I love Mala Strana. It is a great area and easy to walk to other areas in Prague. We didn't find Prague to large and it was an enjoyable walking city. We stayed not too far from Hotel Kampa Garden (Pension Diezenhoffer) and walked by the Hotel Kampa daily. It is in a great location and in a relatively quiet square...at least during the night. We loved the area- and all of Prague for that matter.

soxgirl Jan 13th, 2006 05:01 PM

I agree with the advice you're getting, especially the people who advise Mala Strana. Kampa is adjacent to Mala Strana (or part of it?) so you can't go wrong staying there. Kampa is charming and so close to Old Town. With so many sights to see on the west side of the river, like the castle, Strahov, and Loreta, you'll have plenty to do without even crossing to Old Town. When you do cross one of the lovely Prague bridges, you will see how close one part of the city is to another. Mala Strana or Kampa give you the access you will want-to public transportation and all the sights on both sides of the river, and is less crowded.We were there for a week in November and easily walked the entire city many hours each day from our hotel in Mala Strana.

cigalechanta Jan 13th, 2006 05:21 PM

The new film, "last Holiday," takes place in Prague.