Reload this Page >

Prague - Krakow - Budapest - Vienna & maybe Salzburg

Old Sep 21st, 2003, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

I wonder if you could help, I am trying to plan my Honeymoon for mid October to early November. We have decided on what we would like to do and have sorte dout flight into Prague and out of Vienna.

Our proposed schedule over 12 days is as follows:

1) Fly to Prague (sorted)
2) Take the night train from Prague to Krakow.
3) Take the night train from Krakow to Budapest.
4) Take a daye train from Budapest to Vienna.
5) Catch the train from Vienna to Salzburg and back (Possibly spend one night in Salzburg).
5) Fly back from Vienna to UK (Sorted)

I am struggling to find sites / agents through who I can book 1st Class Tickets (Or passes), reservation and sleepers through.

Also the 'Euopean East Rail Pass' covers all of the countries in questions but can only be purchased in the USA ($225 for five days ast class within a month). Does anyone know if non US Citizens / Residents can use this pass and can it be purchased over the net and posted to the UK?

Any other ideas on the most economical way to cover the journey required? Links to sleeper train site etc.?

Finally, if you have any good hotel or 'must see' tips, they would be very gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Jase
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 05:02 PM

Hello,
We are leaving for Prague on Oct 23, and have reservations at the Pension Dietzenhofer (sp?), located in Mala Strana. This pension has been recommended by others on this site. It is located in a 16th century house and is the birthplace of a famous Czech architect named Dietzenhofer. We also have hotel reservations in Krakow at the Hotel Saski, located in Old Town. Hotel Saski has also been recommended by people on this site. I know that others on this site also recommended Hotel Polonia and Hotel Pollera in Krakow.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 06:05 PM

If this is for real and you are really planning your honeymoon 2-5 weeks before your wedding.
Let me understand, you are going on your honeymoon and you plan on spending half of the nights on sleeper trains.
May I suggest that you pick at the most 3 cities, relax and enjoy the places where you are. Prague-Budapest-Vienna would be the most logical. Save Krakow and Salzburg for another trip.
The Charles Bridge at night is a must for honeymooners in Prague.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

Kwoo, thanks for the advice, I will take a look at your suggestions.

LindaW, Thanks for the advice and I do appreciate what you are saying. Yes it is for real, believe me the last 6 months have been completely manic and I am look froward to actually having a weekend where we do nothing. Hence the sudden panic to get the honeymoon booked. We have been to Prague before, loved it and wanted to return for sentimental reasons and it seemed a pretty good starting point. We just intend to relax there for the first couple of days and revisit some of our favourite places. I know that two nights on sleeper trains doesn't seem particularly romantic, but hopefully it will be a fun adventure. We wanted to get a taster of Krakow (2 / 3 Days) with view to potentially returning for a longer stay. A few people have tols us that 3 days in Budapest is enough and we plan to spen most of our time in Vienna (I think to Salzburg trip is too ambitious) where I would also like to take my new wife to see the Opera (Anyone have thoughts on where to book this and what on earth is the dress code, do I need to pack my Tux? ;-) ).

Thanks again for you much appreciated advice.

Jase
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 06:37 AM

Presume you live in the UK?

So why not get a 2 zone Eurail pass which would cover Poland/Hungary and Germany/Austria.

I am planning to use a month pass to cover these cities, plus a few more (Warsaw, Berlin etc)- cost £275, dont have cost of shorter passes to hand.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Hi Joe (hope thats your name),

I will look into the Eurail pass, however I was told as a British citizens, resident in the UK, we wouldn't be entitle to use either Eurail of 'European East' Passes. The later being fantastic value for US citizens.

In essence I have been tole that my options are Seperate EuroDomino passes for each country (Czech Republic, Poland, Slovaki, Hungary and Austria) or to but a 2 Zone Interail pass for 22 days. However, neither completely meets our needs as a) we wanted to travel 1st Class (Is out honeymoon afterall ;-)) and b) these passes wouldn't apply to the sleepers between Prague Krakow and Budapest.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 09:30 PM

Ok, you may have a place in Prague since you've been there before but, if you are looking at others--we stayed at the Penzion Balbin, 3-star, near the Muzeum Metro and Wencelas Square. It is nice with very good buffet breakfast.
In Krakow, I stayed at the Hotel Polonia, 3-star, because it was near the train station and I was coming in later in the afternoon. It is nice, clean, has bathroom/shower, friendly staff. It is about a 2-minute walk from train station and just outside the wall from the old city. Don't buy the breakfast coupon as I was not impressed with the offerings even though it is buffet. Try the bus to Zakopane (about 2 hours) as nice resort village in Tatras.
In Vienna, I would recommend the Hotelpension Arenberg,4-star. It is within the Ring, has posh Vienna feel, homemade muslei. It is 2-minute walk to U-Bahn and 5 minutes to Stephensplatz.
The B&B we stayed at in Budapest no longer accepts guests so I can't help there.
Have fun!!
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 11:33 PM
Original Poster

Linda,

Thanks for the recommendations, I will follow these up later and let you know the outcome.

In the meantime, I am struggling on finding somewhere to book the sleeper trains and getting information on any passes that maybe appropriate, can anyone assist?

Thanks, Jase.