Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Prague itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/prague-itinerary-577360/)

blackmons Dec 21st, 2005 09:34 AM

Prague itinerary

I'm about to book my flight to Prague, but just wanted to see what you think of my itinerary. My mother and I only have 5 days, total, including our flight. We will arrive May 4th, around 9:40 a.m. I booked three nights at the Hotel at King George. We will spend the first two days in Prague, and the third day hire a driver to go to the town of Chomotuv where she was born. We are going to try and squeeze in during our time in Prague:

Day 1 (Thursday): Castle, St. Vitus Cathedral, Wallenstein Garden, Loreto Convent, St. Nicholas Church, and a concert in the evening.

Day 2: Old Town, Jewish Quarter, Charles Bridge, tour of Municipal House, Mucha Museum, maybe Museum of Communism, concert in the evening

Day 3: Chomutov (1 hour away, dinner at David

Is this doable? Would you recommend walking tours for any of these sites? Actually, I may switch around day 1 and day 2. Maybe we should do Old Town, etc., the first day since we'll be staying right nearby. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is a very special trip for us.
Laurie

tledford Dec 21st, 2005 11:02 AM

Laurie,

I looked back on my trip to Prague and on day 1 we went to the castle area and saw the castle and St. Vitus', Loreto and Strahov monastery all in the castle area.
Then we went to St Nicholas church and a concert in the evening. Pretty similar.

We did feel like we rushed the castle area a bit and went back on the third day to wander some more and see the garden.

If you want to see a garden that day why not do the castle garden which is right behihnd the castle area? It was beautiful in May.

Day 2 we went to Old town and the Jewish quarter and the communism museum in Wenceslas Square. It was great. Those things took the whole day for us.

We spent our day 3 in Prague again,
but it sounds like going to Chomotuv is
more important.

Be careful in choosing a concert. We thought we were being smart by buying tickets at the Municipal house itself but they sold us expensive tickets to a concert that was downstairs in folding chairs in a nondescript room with 6 or 7 college students instead of the main hall.

Have fun with your mom.

risab Dec 21st, 2005 02:52 PM

Depending on what side of the river you are staying on the Charles Bridge can be experienced more than once a day and does not require a specific tour time. Your day one is doable as everything is close.

I would suggest St. Nicolas church first, then walk to the Wallenstein Palace and gardens (very cool) then you can actually walk up the hill from there to the castle- it takes you to the rear but you can walk to the front to get the feel of the square. After the castle you can walk to Loreto and then down the hill. Prague is a walking city so wear comfortable shoes.

Day two sounds like a lot. Old Town, the clock and the square, and the Jewish Quarter will take a good part of the morning - you may want to plan a tour of that area. I'd break for lunch after that. There are a lot of lovely cafes and restaurants in the area and on and off of Pariska Street. We did not do a tour of the Municipal Building but did visit the Mucha Museum and loved it. We were not blown away by the art in Prague but found this museum to be small and lovely. The film on his life is very interesting and the gift shop has beautiful things.

Try to walk the bridge at night when there are performers and artists lined up. Also, a walk across the Charles in the early morning before the crowds ascend is quite an experience, too- exit the bridge on the Mala Strana side and visit Kampa Park and the small quaint streets off it. It is a lovely area. Prague was one of my favorite trips. Enjoy.

sara_qc Dec 21st, 2005 06:16 PM

We too paid an exorbitant price for a concert in the Obecni Dum. Try for tickets directly at the Rudolfinum or the Narodni Divadlo which have really good performances and tickets starting as low as $1.50 Cdn. The Narodni Divadlo has a very beautiful interir.

Christina Dec 21st, 2005 07:34 PM

I think it's basically okay but that you have too much to do on Day 2. I don't see how you could do all that. I spent at least a half day, perhaps more, just on the Jewish quarter. You may not get to those museums.

amyb Dec 22nd, 2005 11:52 AM

I really think Day Two is too packed. I spent more than a half day at the Jewish Quarter alone. And definitely try to fit the Museum of Communism in. I found it quite interesting. I'd lighten that day up a bit.

TrendGirl Dec 22nd, 2005 02:05 PM

I just returned from a November trip to Prague and will comment on highlights that were "more special" then expected.

The Jewish Quarter was absolutely everyones favorite sight to experience.

I would recommend expecting to take time there,especially if you take the wonderful tour of the Jewish Ghetto that we took.

We took WITTMANN TOURS for almost a 3 hour walking tour(no one even looked at their watch even once!)
We had a lovely woman as our guide who was a native of Prague and was born and raised in the Jewish Quarter in Prague.
She was very interesting to listen to and everyone was enjoying her "talk" as we say the various synagogues, ancient cemetary, and other highlights in the area.

At 10:00 A.M. (not on Saturdays though) we met in a small square directly across from the Inter-Continental Hotel (no reservation was needed
)We got very lucky as we had the tour guide all to ourselves that morning.

We had an amazing lunch after the tour in the Jewish Quarter and then walked around the area after the tour and enjoyed the wonderful buildings and architecture in that area.

It was really a beautiful section of the city.
The quality of the tour was first rate and all of us really thought this was a special "activity" and one of the highlights of our sightseeing.

The Mucha Museum was on my "TO DO" list, as I love Art Nouveau, and was looking forward to seeing this artists work in Prague.
It is a small museum and I was a little disappointed, as I expected more of the artists work to see.
However, I was glad I went.
The Gift shop was a big ZERO in this museum, as there was not much "product" in shop. I was expecting more.

You may want to get specifics regarding the tour of the Municipal House, as the tours are sporadic, and not always offered at the same time every day. When we were there it was also at 10:00 AM. If you do decide to take the tour with Wittmann Tours of the Jewish Quarter it is also at 10:00AM.
The Municipal House is very beautiful to see, even if you are only able to see the outside and the inside area and Peak in the amazing Restaurant to see the light fixtures and decor.
Suggestion:
You could do the Charles Bridge on Day 1, after St. Nicholas Church.
I think you should have time to do that.
Prague is a lovely and unique city to visit but it is a small city, so you should be able to see a tremendous amount in the days that you are there.

blackmons Dec 23rd, 2005 02:28 PM

Well, due to losing out on a flight, we are "forced" to add a half day to our trip (YAY!!!!) So now we'll have an extra 1/2 day to be somewhat jetlagged, and a full two days to tour Prague (and 1 day for Chomutov). So maybe we'll just start with our top priorities (Jewish Quarter, Old Town area, Castle, Charles Bridge, Municipal House) and if we have time for the two museums, we'll squeeze them in at the end of the trip. Thanks for all your help.
Laurie

TrendGirl Dec 23rd, 2005 04:29 PM

the extra time will be "a good thing!"
You will be glad to have the extra time to take in all the beautiful sights and great buildings to view, at a more relaxed pace.

I may add the food was Super, and we ate at some outstanding restaurants.

Enjoy your trip and then please share your trip to Chomotuv and what that city is like!

Ozarksbill Dec 23rd, 2005 06:28 PM

We were in Prague in June...enjoyable city to visit. Of course, Castle area and Old Town are tops, Jewish quarter incl. Meisal Synagogue (lunch next door at Golem) OK, and Mucha museum a hidden gem. There are lots of musical offerings which are advertised, e.g., an ensemble at St. Martin in the Wall, not far from the Mucha.

Have a good time..ozarksbill

TrendGirl Dec 24th, 2005 05:40 AM

BLACKMONS:
~another recomendation that is nice to do(especially at the end of the day just before sunset) is to go to the top of the ASTRONOMICAL clock tower, which is in Old Town Square, and a major sight to see. It was a wonderful view from the top. You can take an elevator as far as the top floor.

The only bad part is that you have to walk up a spiral staircase to the very top.
I could have lived without the "spiral staircase" walk at the end of the day.

However, it was worth it, as it was very special to look at from the open deck of the clock tower, and see the city with the lights. It was good for photo opportunities as well.

I did get to "burn some calories" in that spiral staircase walk.

This was a good thing, as after eating all those wonderful Duck Dinners.

If I was NOT at the time WEARING 2 cashmere sweaters, 2 scarves, etc. and dressed for the outside, I would not have been so uncomfortable during the "spiral climb."

rex Jan 23rd, 2006 08:19 AM

Bringing this back up to the top - - it got good answers, and it has a much more considerate, and appropriate message header than "Are we crazy?"

Best wishes,

Rex

sylbea Jan 23rd, 2006 09:58 AM

We are going to Prague in June and in the Frommer's Prague Book it talks about Petrin Tower. According to the map it seems to be a garden, etc. with a funicular that takes you to the top. Is there some kind of fortress there? Has anyone been there and is it worth going to? We will only be there 2 1/2 days. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mucky Jan 23rd, 2006 10:06 AM

Hi !
Yes we have been to Petrin tower and it certainly is worth a visit.
It is set in a park and resembles the eiffel tower but a bit smaller. The funicular railway is really cheap and an interesting way to get up Petrin Hill.
When considering the crowds on Charles bridge, by comparison there are hardly any people go there, its a tranquil break from the crowds and a welcome beer can be bought at the restaurant/bar half way up on the first stop of the train.
The view from the tower is great and you can see for miles on a clear day.
There is a small charge for the tower,but I can't remember but it wasn't much.
I think it is a great place to go for an hour or 2.

Have fun

Muck

pjsparlor Feb 5th, 2007 05:33 AM

ttt

basingstoke2 Feb 5th, 2007 06:18 AM

If the King George Hotel where you are planning to stay is the one called U Krale Jiriho, you will be centrally located in Old Town, Just a few minutes walk to the main square in one direction and Charles Bridge in another. The usual tourist area in Prague is pretty compact with the exception of the Castle area, where you will most likely want a tram. The hotel has a popular restaurant/pub that can get pretty raucus at night. You may be more comfortable at my usual recommendation, Hotel Kampa Island which is right at the Charles Bridge yet in a peaceful location. The price would be about the same or less than the King George. See the TripAdvisor.com reviews for both.

almesq Feb 5th, 2007 06:42 AM

bookmarking

kappa Feb 5th, 2007 06:55 AM

I also recommend taking the elevator to the top of the clock tower before sunset. I did it last weeend and stayed there 2 hours from 16.00 till 18.00, the closing hour. Weather was changing all the time sun > windy snow > sun again and it was really nice to see the change of colors over the houses of the city. There was this 2nd lift that was being repaired (or was it new) and tested when I got there. After the first elevator, I bought the ticket (60 coruna) and then had to walk up the spiral stairway but if this 2nd elevator will be working, it would be easier.

I also recommend above mentioned Perin Hill. Last November I took the funicular up then walked down. This time I walked up in the snow (I was well equipped) then before reaching the top, took a side road and moved over to the castle area.

I also recommend Letna Park for the view, where you can see most of the bridges over Vlatava together.

I took the following photos last weekend during my 4 day stay. The first are from the clock tower but some others are from Petrin and Letna.

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...aha%20Jan2007/

Depending on your (esp.you mother's)shape, you might like to do the tower of the castle too. There you have no choice but walking up the really narrow spiral stairs of about 280 steps.

Giovanna Feb 5th, 2007 07:04 AM

The suggestions given by the last couple of posters are good ones, but the initial poster's trip was in May 2006.

kappa Feb 5th, 2007 07:18 AM

Oops, thanks Giovanna. That's all the fault of the bookmarkers ;-)