Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Prague hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/prague-hotels-553607/)

samber Aug 22nd, 2005 07:52 PM

Prague hotels

Considering several hotels in Prague, but can't seem to get any feedback on the Ventana hotel in old town. Reviews are good on other sites, can't figure out why nothing on Fodors. I would like some thoughts on an old town location vs somewhere else. I am also considering Hotel Pariz and Bohemia, but reviews are so mixed as to location and condition that I'm totally confused. This is a first time visit to Prague and a very special occasion so any input would be appreciated.

schnauzer Aug 22nd, 2005 08:06 PM

I haven't heard of any of the hotels yo are talking about, however, I stayed a couple of years ago at the U Zlute Boty in the Mane Strale or was it Male Strane, but you will know where I mean, up by the castle. I preferred this location as it was much more quiet than the old town. But that was my preference, it is quite hilly so you need to be able bodied to cope with all the steps etc. It was quite close to the Charles Bridge so seeing all the sights was no problem. You could consider this area, walking across the bridge to eat at night/or clubs if you are inclined is no problem, but I like my sleep. Prague is just beautiful, enjoy.

amp322 Aug 22nd, 2005 08:46 PM

The Ventana is relatively new, so I doubt many Fodorites have stayed there. I passed by it back in April. Looked OK. 4 Seasons seems to get the best reviews, but I wouldn't stay there, because of price!!

I stayed at Hotel Grand, in Old Town, and liked it very much.

tripadvisor has good tips, and www.travel.cz, www.marys.cz and www.athos.cz area all good websites with pictures, etc

Hotel Pariz was, maybe still is, being renovated. It's in Wenceslas Square. If you want to stay in Old Town, then don't stay there. Otherwise, it's a good location, around lots of action. If you want "Old World" charm, Mala Strana, or Old Town, are the areas to stay.

elaine Aug 23rd, 2005 02:31 AM

If you budget allows, the Four Seasons hotel in Prague is one of the finest I've experienced. Less expensive, but still very nice from what I've read, are the Maximilian and the Josef. Both have good locations.

I have a long file on Prague, if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]

m_kingdom2 Aug 23rd, 2005 05:00 AM

Carlo IV wasn't bad, the interiors are superb, but the service is a little lacking. Food/drink was excellent, if a little pricey. If you can get a good rate, then it's worth looking into. Prague's so small that you can really walk anywhere.

GoSox Aug 23rd, 2005 05:10 AM

I stayed at Hotel Pariz in last month. it was lovely. I saw no construction and it is not in Wenceslas Square but in Old Town. I was there alone, had a twin room that was sparkling clean with a small balcony. The bathroom was new and very nicely appointed. Service was excellent and the reception desk very helpful. I would definitely stay there again.

amp322 Aug 23rd, 2005 03:07 PM

Good call, Sox. I was thinking of Evropa, which has been undergoing renovations/reconstruction forever. Hotel Paris is a good location, but Ventana is right in Old Town Square, behind Tyn Church. Ventana is more modern/cutting edge decor, while Pariz is Art Nouveau, (which might be a nice touch, if you like that style).

RichardSpitzer Aug 23rd, 2005 03:56 PM

I stayed at the Pensione Dientzenhofer in Male Strana and it was the most wonderful B&B I have ever visited. In a very quite part of the old town, with a lovely park right next door. The owners are gracious, generous and their breakfasts are exceptional! The rooms are hard wood floors with an old world charm that is blew me away. It is in keeping with the rest of Prague, beautiful, vintage and inviting. I have their address and e-mail if you would like.

yipper Aug 23rd, 2005 04:58 PM

Hi,

I recently saw a show on Prague and they featured the Hotel Aria www.aria.net It looked lovely. It is about 275 euros a night, which is a lot for Prague. I wasn't sure how much you wanted to pay. HAve a great trip.

ThinGorjus Aug 23rd, 2005 06:04 PM

Last year, www.praguepost.com, the English-language newspaper of Prague voted the Iron Gate hotel the best in Prague. I stayed at the 5-star Hotel Esplanade, across the street from the Prague Opera House. It was very nice, with a beautiful lobby. However, whilst the bathrooms were large and new, the rooms were small.

It really doesn't matter where you stay in Prague, as long as you are near a Metro station.

You must dine at David in Mala Strana. It is one of the best restaurants I have ever eaten at. Fantastic!

samber Aug 23rd, 2005 08:08 PM

I am love all of this info, it is so helpful. Thank-you everyone for your Prague help. I will take Thingorjus's advice and try the restaurant David for sure!

Christina Aug 24th, 2005 09:43 AM

I have only stayed in the Josefov area at the Maximilian, but that isn't far from Pariz and Grand Hotel Bohemia. The Maximilian has changed decor and style, so I will be looking elsewhere next time. The Pariz and Bohemia are in an excellent location near Namesti Republicky metro stop and the Municipal Bldg. I can't imagine why anyone would say that is a bad location. It is a great location and very convenient. However, I think you can always find people who have different opinions on anything, but if a lot of people complained about that location, I am very surprised and can't imagine what they want.

A lot of those grander old hotels in Prague have conflicting reviews, even the very top ones. I personally would have no desire to stay right next to Tyn Church, but that's mainly because I'd be afraid it would be very noisy.

elaine Aug 24th, 2005 10:39 AM

I second the mention of restaurant David, I've been there twice, love it!
www.restaurant-david.cz

I agree that Namesti Republicky is another great location.

The front of the Ventana faces Old Town Square, in busy seasons I agree that might be noisy. It is certainly a central but congested area, if that matters to you.

Michelezr Aug 24th, 2005 08:28 PM

WE just returned from Prague and loved the Hotel Aria! The location was great- walking distance to all the sights, the rooms have a musical theme (very well done) computers with free usage/dvd in the room, free parking, free airport pickup, wonderful full breakfast in a atrium setting and very helpful staff. Our room rate was 195 euros.