Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Prague Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/prague-hotels-428899/)

matsfan May 6th, 2004 07:51 AM

Prague Hotels

My wife and I will be vacationing in Prague in late July and are trying to determine what area and which hotel to stay in.

Any information re: the Wenceslas Square area (particularly K&K Fenix, Radisson or Palace Hotel Praha) would be appreciated.

Also any recommendations for hotels in the Old Town main square, Josefov or Mala Strana areas would also be helpful.

Thanks!!!

AHaugeto May 6th, 2004 08:13 AM

Hi matsfan - you'll find a wealth of information on these boards re: Prague Hotels if you look in the upper left area and type "prague hotel" and check off "Czech Republic" in the "Topics" box. This will then pull up all the previous threads with those keywords on it (look on the left-hand side of the screen).

I was in Prague in March (click on my screen name on this post and you'll find my long trip report - don't forget you can always click on "next 50 messages" if it doesn't come up right away), and FWIW I didn't like the Wenceslas square area as much as some of the more residential neighborhoods where you could see more architecture and fewer fast food signs. This area is kind of like staying on the Champs-Elysees in Paris, or Times Square in NYC. Not that that's bad, it is close to everything wonderful in Old Town and New Town, but you will get a different "feel" for the city elsewhere, and be dealing with fewer crowds during the intense summer season. Keep in mind that wherever you stay, Prague is a very compact, walkable city, and a hotel with a nearby tram stop is a big plus. I enjoyed our stay at the Kinsky Garden Hotel in the Mala Strana. Have a wonderful trip!

matsfan May 7th, 2004 06:40 AM

Hello AHaugeto and thanks so much for all the great info on Prague and using Fodors.com. My wife and I are very excited about our trip and you're really helping us out!!!

sb812 May 8th, 2004 10:00 AM

I agree that I would not stay near Wenceslas Square. A better choice would be near Old town sqaure on in the Mala Strana. I was in Prague about a year and a half ago and stayed at the Cloister Hotel. The rooms were super clean, good breakfast, only a few minutes walk from Old town square and the Charles bridge. Quiet street. I'd higly recommend it.

Enjoy your visit. Prague is one of my favorite cities.

ThinGorjus May 8th, 2004 03:42 PM

Pardon me, sb812, but what is wrong with staying near Wenceslas Square? The reason I ask is that I am staying at Hotel Esplanade in Nove Mesto. The hotel is located on Washingtonova, adjacent to the Muzeum Metro stop. The Esplanade is a 5-star establishment known for its Art Nouveau decor.

Am I making a huge mistake?

tledford May 8th, 2004 04:03 PM

I just returned from Prague and walked everywhere,as I was staying in Mala Strana. If you are staying in Wenceslas square, you will be a little further from most of the sights and you will probably need to use the trams.
Also, as others have said, it is a wide, commercialized boulevard. I wouldn't say it was a huge mistake though, unless you think those things will really bother you.

nytraveler May 8th, 2004 06:24 PM

Agree that being near the old town is both more pleasant and less of a trek to many of the things you want to see/do.

I was there 3 years ago and the Wenceslas Squre area seemed to be farily well supplied with ladies of the evening after dinner - not unsafe - but not the most pleasant either.

Christina May 8th, 2004 07:38 PM

I don't find the Wenceslas Sq are that attractive myself, and wouldn't stay there, but there are some wellknown top hotels in that area, and they are still in business. One of the most wellknown older luxury hotels in Prague is there ( I think I'm thinking of the Palace).

It isn't a huge mistake and there are several metro stops there, not just tram lines, for getting around. It is fairly central, and not far from things. I usually spend a little time around there, anyway, even if not staying there.

It does have a reputation for hookers -- I haven't been there at night so don't know. Aside from that, it just seems to have a lot of stores, some not so attractive, and doesn't have that quaint ambience of some other areas. There are some cafes/restaurants that set up in the middle of the street, although the sidewalks are kind of narrow and there aren't so many open-air sidewalk cafes there, as in some other areas.

Central Prague is fairly small and the distance from sights wouldn't even be a big concern to me (and it's closer to some things, like the museum, obviously, and some theaters). It's only two metro stops to Old Town metro near Charles Bridge. I don't think it's the most desirable place, at least for me, but it will be okay.

I do go there when I want to go to a music or bookstore.

amp322 May 8th, 2004 07:45 PM

I have stayed in almost every section of Prague,(including as far east as you can go, within city limits, and still have access to a tram), and have recently settled on the Wenceslas Square area as my home away from home. I DO need access to public transportation, so I find that area the best. Even if you don't plan on taking the metro, you can still walk almost everywhere (to tourists sights) from there. I find that area convenient as a base, since there are tons of restaurants & shops, I can get a bite to eat at any hour of the day or night, and there are jazz clubs, movie theaters, etc, all right at my doorstep.It is funny how people are scared of that area. I actually feel SAFER going back to my place there at 1 AM, than I do if I am staying in a less busy area. There are always police on patrol, and there are always English speaking people around, so I am more comfortable with that area than a dark street in Mala Strana or Old Town late at night.I also like the area near the National Theater, as it is close to the river, and has lots of restaurants & nightlife.

If you only have a few days, and want to experience the most "quaint" part of Prague, then Mala Strana or Old Town are wonderful areas, and you can cover those areas easily.

I guess it is just a preference of what kind of experience you want to have. If you like a more exciting "Times Square" feel, go with Wenceslas. If you want old & quaint, go with the other side of town. Also, Prague 4 has some cool modern hotels, but you would definitely need public transportation. Then again, you get a sense of the "REAL" Prague when you make an effort to venture out of the comfort zone of Prague 1. Only then do you start to really get to see the city!

ThinGorjus May 8th, 2004 08:05 PM

Thanks for the input. I am very sophisticated and don't mind being amongst hookers, strippers, or trannies.