Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Prague hotel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/prague-hotel-1072617/)

fusion Sep 24th, 2015 03:46 AM

Prague hotel?

We're trying to decide on a Prague hotel. Ideally, we'd like a large room with a nice view within easy walking distance of art, architecture and the like (no interest in shopping or night life). Price below €350 or so. We're arriving by train if that matters. Two possibilities are the Augustine and the Golden Well (U Zlate Studne).

What would you recommend?

pariswat Sep 24th, 2015 04:00 AM

Your budget will allow for very high end hotels.

I can recommend hotels I've been in, but don't know yours.
Look at booking.com and TripAdvisor.com for comments.
With a pince of salt for both sites.

unclegus Sep 24th, 2015 05:21 AM

I have never stayed in either place bUt know the area and they are a good walk up the steep hill from the metro /tram stop or an even longer one down from the castle area.
If you have any mobility /fitness issues I would avoid.

fusion Sep 24th, 2015 06:30 AM

Is there somewhere else you'd recommend in this category?

I've spent a fair amount of time on booking.com and tripadvisor.

Reviews of both hotels are very positive on their locations. The Golden Well seems to be on a steep hill, although I haven't seen this mentioned about the Augustine. No real mobility or fitness issues.

zorrosf Sep 24th, 2015 07:42 AM

We loved the Pod Vezi, located on the western end of the Charles Bridge. No view however. Friends love the Metamorphasis (sp?) near the main square. Also no view.

pariswat Sep 24th, 2015 07:42 AM

I've been in these two hotels, close to namesty republiky
Hotel de Paris in nov-14
King Courts in mars-15

Both 4 stars I'd say, both at around 100 € without breakfast with discount from these sites..

Very satisfied of both.

Mfg

BillT Sep 24th, 2015 08:50 AM

Check out the K +K Hotel. We are world travelers for the past 25 years and have been to many countries both in Europe and Asia and I must say one of the finest experiences we have ever had was at this hotel on our trip to Prague. Simply wonderful in every respect. Note that we travel in the style of Samantha Brown and not Rick Steves, so you know where we Are coming from

Christina Sep 24th, 2015 08:56 AM

If you are in Prague center, you are in the middle of architecure from the buildings, so any location would have that. As for walking to art, depends what that means. If you mean the main gallery near the castle, most people wouldn't be walking there from any hotel as you do not want a hotel up on the hill IMO, it wouldn't be that convenient for anything else. I like the modern art gallery but people aren't going to stay around it (Veleczi Palace), so not sure what that means. The Mucha museum (and a little of him goes a long way with me) is near Wenceslas Square, but you would only go there once, anyway. Some art in St Agnes convent, and places like that, of course. But you can't be near them all.

I don't know what art the Augustine is near, to be honest, but it is down in the flatlands but I don't find that street where it is particularly attractive myself. There is no setback that I can recall (buildings right on the sidewalk), and trams run along it. The hotel looks gorgeous, though, and is near a tram stop. You could walk to the bridge, of course. Notice on their website there are no photos of the hotel from the front and the street, there is a reason for that. It is not up a hill, it's very near the river in a flat area. the views fro the rooms are the buildings on the other side of it (non streetside), those could be good and perhaps quiet.

The Golden Well is more out of the way and so a long walk to anywhere, including a metro stop or tram, but I guess that's just opinion of how far you care to walk to those things. It is kind of on the hill, I believe. I wouldn't exactly call it easy walking distance to art, you'd have to climb that hill, but you'd probably walk down to Klarov and get the tram if you wanted to go up the hill. Unless you like hiking, of course. I'm not clear what being close to art means, there may be some small galleries down on those streets near the river, but if you don't want to shop, that may not be what one means by that.

I also love the Hotel Paris (Pariz) near the Powder Gate. It's an excellent location for transportation and Old Town Square, I've easily walked to Wenceslas Sq from there, in fact. And St Agnes convent isn't far away, and the tram to go over the river to the modern art museum. I do not usually walk to Mala Strana from there, but you could, of course. You definitely wouldn't want to walk from there to the top of the hill where the castle is. No special views, however.

MFNYC Sep 24th, 2015 09:28 AM

We were just at the Pod Vezi and recommend it as well. It's 4 star, but much below your price range! Location can't be beat, breakfast is excellent and the restaurant for dinner is very good as well, and they give you a gift certificate and discount for that.

halfapair Sep 25th, 2015 12:54 PM

I would also recommend the Pod Vezi:

http://www.podvezi.com/

Request the suite on the second floor (corner room with decorated ceiling, sitting room, modern bathroom). I think the room number was 214, but I'm not 100% sure about that. We did have some lovely views from the windows in our room.

We stayed there about 4 weeks ago. The staff is incredibly helpful and nice. The breakfast is wonderful. They will make cappuccinos upon request.

The 2nd floor suite is on a corner with views across the Charles Bridge and also along the street. And it's well under your budget.

I'll post pictures on Trip Advisor of the views from our room.

Iwan2go Sep 25th, 2015 02:36 PM

We stayed at the Golden Well and cannot recommend it highly enough. It is close to the castle (there is even, in season, a door from the restaurant on to the castle grounds), and we found it to be a convenient location. I wouldn't call it on the hill, exactly - you walk across the Charles Bridge, through the square, and behind some buildings. If you want to walk from there up the streets to the castle then yes, it's uphill, but we took a tram around the back way and walked down after seeing everything.

The people in the hotel were SO friendly and kind, and our room had a beautiful view. Breakfast is served in a room of windows overlooking the city and is incredible. A huge buffet, then made to order eggs, pancakes, whatever, then dessert. Dinner is also delicious and highly recommended.

Click on my name and you'll find my Trip report, where I talked about it. I also included the name of our guide, Jana, whom I would highly recommend.

Wonderful city!

Iwan2go Sep 25th, 2015 02:41 PM

Ps We're in our late 60s and had no problems getting around. We like walking and preferred this location to the other side of the river, actually. Some great restaurants nearby too.