Search

Prague Health Insurance

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague Health Insurance

Hello!

I read somewhere that you needed to show proof that you had health/travel insurance when you entered the Czech Republic. Is this true? Is it true when you are entering any other country in Europe? Thanks!
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 10:33 AM

I saw the same question sometime somwhere, maybe on this forum. Never experienced this myself, arriving at Prague airport for 7 times including last 3 in last 6 months. Could it be completely a wrong (or very old) info? Have had no such thing in any other European countries I have been to that's not all but many.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 10:56 AM

Before we went to Latvia last year, I read this same requirement. However, no one asked us when we entered the country if we had it. I suspect (but don't really KNOW) that it might be used to deny entry to someone who looks particularly unable to provide for their own care if they became ill. They wouldn't want to have to use their health system for someone who doesn't have medical insurance (or money to pay). Again that is just a thought I had, which may be totally wrong. Maybe someone else can give a better answer.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 11:12 AM

Ok, I did a text search (key word "prague & insurance" and found the following that will give you some thought.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...+%26+insurance
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 01:33 PM

There was a long thread on this with more than you want to know, probably. That's probably the one Kappa pulled for you. I'd say, yes, in theory, in practice, they weren't checking anyone for it the last time I arrived there by plane (which was last summer). At least they didn't check me or anyone I noticed. I'm sure they wouldn't check you if you arrived by train. Well, if you have unusual documents, passport, or something, they might as a way of checking you or keeping you out in general (at immigration).
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 09:06 AM

I've seen that rule, also. I just buy trip/travel insurance when I go overseas, and have the documents ready to show at passport control, if necessary. Have never been asked, though.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 10:44 AM

"Health tourism", where people travel to other countries to receive free healthcare, can be a problem in any country with a national health system. Countries therefore reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone they believe is a helth tourist.

Within the E.U., citizens of other E.U. countries enjoy reciprocal healthcare rights. Citizens of other E.U. countries make up the vazst majority of tourists throughout Europe, so Czech border officials would only be on the lookout for the exceptional visitor who they thought was likely to become a burden on their state healthcare system.
They would probably assume that American, Canadian, or similar nationalities were not travelling for the purposes of healthcare.