Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Prague- Cesky Krumlov- Bratislava- Budapest- Belgrade- Sarajevo- Dubrovnik- Tivat

Prague- Cesky Krumlov- Bratislava- Budapest- Belgrade- Sarajevo- Dubrovnik- Tivat

Nov 1st, 2007, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

I'm doing an extensive touring of the mid-eastern europe next year, around February. I'm right about to purchase tickets to Prague and back from Tivat.

The thing is, what is the best mode of travel between the cities? Buses or trains? I know that Eurail offers passes for 15 or 30 days, but I read that it's more worthwhile to buy tickets from local train services, which come relatively cheap.

I also thought of using the Eurolines, but apparently they don't operate during the time of my travel (end of january to february).

So should I just be adventerous and buy a train/bus ticket as I travel along, or should I just buy a railpass before I set out?
Nov 1st, 2007, 05:45 AM

We went to Budapest, Vienna and Prague this year and just bought the tickets at the train station without a problem.
Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:44 AM

Please note: I haven't been to Prague yet, but since I've been researching the same thing for a trip there in mid Nov. I thought I'd let you know what I've found.
My friend who lives in Prague says that busses between cities can be considerably cheaper than trains, and just as reliable, comfortable, etc. (but I'm still probably taking a train because they're kind of a novelty to me and I know where the stations are). I've also heard that depending on the person at the ticket booth, you may not be able to rely on speaking English. My plan is to choose a few potential train itineraries from this website: http://jizdnirady.idnes.cz/JRCis.asp?tt=c&p=MF&cl=E5
and print them off (in czech) to show the person at the ticket counter in case my czech is totally incomprehensible, which is likely. Otherwise, some suggest asking the hotel clerk to write down your desired route, for example, "return trip ticket to Prague on [date] leaving at [time]".
Hope you have a nice trip.
Nov 2nd, 2007, 07:17 PM

We just returned from Europe. We traveled by bus from Prague to Cesky Krumlov for approximately $8 and then took a shuttle ($20) to Linz. From there we boarded the train to Budapest ($79). The bus trip was 3 hours, shuttle 1 1/2 hours and train 5 hours.
Nov 3rd, 2007, 01:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot guys! That was extremely helpful! I don't worry much about language though, I know Russian really well (which can be used in some of the aforementioned countries), while the rest, I will research some basic phrases to use.