Day train from Paris to Florence

Old Jul 28th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day train from Paris to Florence

Is it possible to travel by train from Paris to Florence by day instead of overnight so we can enjoy the scenery..
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 09:13 PM

Yes it is possible.
You can look it up on your own at http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en. The fastest connection is 8hr 49min.

There is really nothing to see until after Lyon and there is also nothing to see around and after Milan.

You must really like train rides.
Old Jul 29th, 2012, 05:12 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You should look at budget flights. Vueling flies from Paris Orly to Florence (I see fares for about $80) and Easy Jet flies Paris Orly to Pisa (cheapest fares listed are 25€). Flight time is about 2 hours. If you fly into Pisa, there is a shuttle bus to Florence (4.99€) or you can train. They take about the same amount of time. Luggage weights are enforced (check each airline) on these flights as is check-in time.

http://www.terravision.eu/florence_pisa.html
Old Jul 29th, 2012, 06:18 AM

My question is the same as Ed's. I am so torn about this decision because I love trains but don't know if I want to spend a day in one when I could be off exploring. Can anybody add more clarification to "nothing to see" and also the pleasantness (or lack thereof) of the train itself? thanks so much.,
Old Jul 29th, 2012, 07:54 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You can take the TGV from Paris Gare de Lyon to Milan that doesn't require a change. There is one that departs at 7:49 am (also at 10:41) and travel time is a little over 7 hours. It arrives Milan Porta Garibaldi. You would then need to transfer to Milan Centrale (they are only a mile apart and connected by metro).

From Milan, you would take Trenitalia's AV train to Florence. Travel time is 2 hours (departures at 15:34 and 17:34). There are more frequent AV train departure options if you are willing to transfer from Milan Garibaldi to Milan Centrale. They are only a mile apart and connected by metro (also some train transfers between them, but not as frequent as the subway). The 7:49 TGV departure would arrive Garibaldi at 14:55.

The trains should be fine, have snack bar and should have dining car (may only be open certain times).

Here's a picture of the 2nd class on the Italian AV fast trains.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ssainterno.jpg

Scroll down for pics of the TGV trains.
http://www.seat61.com/France.htm#On%...20the%20trains

There are also some IC trains from Milan to Florence, but take longer and aren't as nice as the AV trains (no snack bar, but someone might come around selling drinks).
Old Jul 29th, 2012, 08:55 AM

High speed trains just zip by the scenery that has been flattened out anyway by reducing inclines to a minimum. In addition my experience has been that the eyes get really tired very quickly looking at the scenery at that speed.
Old Jul 29th, 2012, 09:59 AM

Trains are trains in these countries, perfectly fine and efficient, there isn't much to say about the train itself regarding pleasantness. Not sure what you are worrying about in that regard, it isn't some third world country where the trains can be really bad.

I don't find the scenery a blur in high-speed trains, but I think the comment about nothign to see is just that it is unremarkable normal city and country scenery, but that's what you'd expect on that route. This is true for most trains in my experience, you rarely get some spectacular scenery. Even if there is some, the train tracks will be in areas less scenic, or there may be tunnels or boundaries around the train so you aren't viewing it, or it is too far away.
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 07:57 AM

thanks everyone! really good replies and will help with my decision.
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 08:24 AM

Of course there is also the overnight train option depending on when you are going - the former Artesia night trains have been scrapped and the new Thello service currently only goes to Venice at night - but there are plans to reinstate the Florence and Rome (same train) night trains sometimes I think.

If you can add an extra day in your trip you could break up the journey and go via Switzerland - wondrous Alpine Switzerland - take a TGV train to say Bern and go to Interlaken area for the night - time to at least trundle up to Grindelwald and take in the superb panorama of the high Alps there - next day head to Milan and onto Florence.

for loads of great info for questions like yours and wealth of info on European trains I always spotlight these IMO fantastic sites - www.seat61.com (great info on online discounts you can get either on day or night trains via France and Italy and TGV Paris to Switzerland) and www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

I disagree that the scenery is awful - the TGV from Paris slices thru bucolic Burgundy - certainly pleasant to look at even at high speed (and to me you are looking in the distance and high-speed does not to me at least ruin anything - then you go thru the Alps via Modane to Turin - really nice but not dramatic Alps to Milan - and well from there the train is largely in tunnels or views obscured by wind blocks but again you see the lay of the land - flying you see nothing but airports and tarmacs.

On such a long trip go first class IMO - there is a vast difference in many ways, especially for such a long trek. the pciture of second class kybourbon shows is a staged publicity photot of when new trains were rolled out and in no way IME of riding many Italian trains portrays the real 2nd class - often chock full with little room for luggage - first class usually IME has empty seats where I can always or nearly always put my luggage, etc. Cheapest is not always the best IMO.
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 06:52 PM

Hi,

You can take a TGV train that leaves Paris around 7:50 am, arriving in Turin. From there you would train to Florence, arriving about 5:30pm. The train crosses the Alps, and there is some gorgeous scenery. The website www.seat61.com is a good place for you to find more information.
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 01:30 PM

book discounted tickets separately however - at www.voyages-sncf.com and the Italian portion at www.trenitalia.com - unfortunately not possible to book a thru ticket I believe on either site.
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 01:55 PM

P. is correct.
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 09:10 AM

Thank you!!