Winter packing lists

Old Nov 12th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter packing lists

I'm going to be travelling to Europe (particularly the UK, France, Germany and Russia) this time next year for about three months. Some of this time might be spent going over to the US (probably about a month max.) and I want to pack light (carryon only). Basically, to be allowed to carryon, my luggage has to weigh less than 15 lbs (I'm Australian and they have checked my weights when I travelled within the country).

To put it in perspective, I'm from Queensland, where the current temperatures have been in the high 80s to low 90s, and get hotter over Christmas. I was thinking that the best option may be to buy a coat over there since shops around me don't seel things for weather that cold.

Does anyone have any hints and tips about packing for winter travel and still keeping to one carryon size bag only?

Cheers,
Kaylan
(Internet conversion tools are my friend)
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 06:13 PM

I never leave home in cold weather without "Cuddleduds" or something similar (very lightweight 'silk-type' long underwear, tops and bottoms).
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 06:15 PM

I purchased very thin silk long underwear. I tried it on when it came..got it over the internet and it's amazingly warm with NO bulk and very very light. I actually googled silk long underwear and got a lot of hits. I checked out a site called Winter Silks..just got a cataloge today by the way, but actuall settled on a Canadian company..staplesonline.com. The pieces were very well made, very smooth and soft. I noticed that there was also either an Australian or New Zealand company. So check it out. The underwear can also double as pajamas.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 06:34 PM

I just posted my winter packing list on the "bone chilling cold" thread. I don't know how to link to it. Sorry! Have a great trip.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 08:00 PM

Here's another huge recommendation for CuddlDuds, which also double as sleepwear. I usually prefer them to silk (especially under lined wool slacks to avoid static cling). But, I did receive two long sleeved tops (ivory, black) ordered from staplesonline.com today for wearing under cashmere sweaters. (Awesome!)

I also favor long sleeved tees/t-necks in white or ivory along with an assortment of cardigans in various weights/warmth.

For outwear in winter, my favorite is a 3/4 waterproof down coat with hood (precludes the need for hauling an umbrella all about). Not too long, not to short. One with deep outside pockets and zippered inside pockets is fabulous. Down coats these days are not as "puffy", but just as warm, and are not heavy and hot if the weather is milder.

For minimum weight/maximum warmth (and not to swelter if the weather is milder or indoors) down and cashmere are terrific. I cannot imagine going to Russia this time of year without very warm outerwear (I'd take UGGS for sure.) You'll want to have a hat, scarf, mittens as well (but these can probably be easily picked up once there).

My latest fabulous find is a pair of Clarks ankle boots "Venue" which are REALLY comfortable, waterproof, and look very nice.

If any of these places ship to Australia, fabulous selection and prices for down coats: L. L. Bean, Lands End, Appleseeds, Eddie Bauer. I, personally, wouldn't want to shop for a coat once there. Prices are high and I'm too fussy about fabric and details (so what I'd like would probably have an exhorbitant price).
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 08:20 PM

djk:

Those Clarks boots look like a great find. I'm looking for warm, low-heeled ankle boots for my January trip. I just wonder about the stitching across the front. Sometimes such stitching rubs against my foot...have you noticed anything? Also, how prominent is the "contrasting color" of the stitching?
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 10:04 PM

I purchased a medium weight long (to the ankles) wool coat. It's light enough to not be too heavy and bulky if I have to carry it but I think and HOPE will be warm enough, with my other layers, the scarf and hat, sweater, and the silk underwear. I wanted something long enough to keep my legs warm. I have tights also to wear under pants and or long skirts.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 03:13 AM

You too can beat the weight limit. A down filled coat with many pockets. Cosmetics in small quantities and in light-weight containers. Find the lightest carry-on available. Buy a messenger type bag to use for documents and such. Use a data storage watch. Consider buying items in country and discarding/mailing them before the next travel segment. Shop XC ski stores.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 03:39 AM

A cashmere turtleneck sweater is very warm. A black one, teamed with simple black slacks and a scarf or interesting piece of costume jewelry will get you into any place dressy.

As for a coat, I travel with a polartec jacket and a goretex raincoat. The combination teams up to handle any weather I have encountered. However, I am from Connecticut so I have some experience with cold.

Silk socks to wear under a pair of wool socks will keep your toes toasty.

Due to your weight restrictions, I think you should do your research now but buy in Europe.

Land's End (http://landsend.com) and LLBean (http://llbean.com) have a great selection in the US of cold weather gear. I particularly like Land's End's All Weather Mocs which are available in Sear's (and they are almost everywhere).

Happy planning.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 08:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
A few tricks I can think of: yes, wait and buy a coat and boots once you are somewhere cold, and always plan to wear/carry them on the plane, never packed.

As mentioned above, for your primary luggage find a bag with no weight to itself, such as a nylon duffle bag (because a 19/21/22" carry-on suitcase with wheels can weigh 7-11 lbs empty!).

Have the biggest "personal item" 2nd bag that seems reasonable to carry without being questioned by the airline- a huge soft pocketbook, messenger bag, daypack, etc. to maximize what you can have with you.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 05:21 PM

marking to read later
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 05:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
wear you boots or all weather shoes, tuck slippers to change into on the plane, wear your heaviest clothes and remove on flight.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 06:08 PM

cigalechanta -- ditto. Layer up for the flight and peel when on board. I've done it many times. I'm sure that people think that I'm losing weight while flying. ; ) If only.

I too swear by Cuddleduds, silk long underwear and cashmere turtlenecks. I hate hats, but wear one to avoid losing all of that precious body heat out of the top of my head. I do hate hat hair though.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 06:20 PM

I have done much winter travelling in Europe (November through March).
Without doubt, the most versatile combo you can possibly bring is a gore-tex rain jacket or parka (with hood) and a medium weight fleece sweater or jacket to layer under it. As a base layer when it gets reaaally cold, wear a capilene long sleeve pullover and long underwear. Throw in a fleece hat and gloves and thats about it (besides your regular clothes).