Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Prague and Budapest--what about Vienna? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/prague-and-budapest-what-about-vienna-718725/)

Kjoann Jul 6th, 2007 01:22 PM

Prague and Budapest--what about Vienna?

We are spending 11 nights in Sept flying into Prague and out of Budapest. Probably going by train in between. Would love opinions: should we spend 6 nights in Prague and 5 nights in Budapest, or 5 nights Prague 2 nights Vienna 4 nights Budapest? I realize we could do 4-3-4, but we've never been to Prague and Budapest and think they (esp Prague) deserve a little more time. ( We've been to Vienna for 2 nights previously.) Would 6 nights be to much in Prague??

gplusg Jul 6th, 2007 01:34 PM

Yes

lana81 Jul 6th, 2007 01:38 PM

I'm going to Vienna/Prague and Budapest in Aug. I've only visited Vienna before but was only there for a day. Based on some research,and talking to others who have visited these countries, it seems that the least amount of time spent was in Budapest.

Padraig Jul 6th, 2007 02:01 PM

Having spent time in all three cities, I am of the opinion that many people here under-rate Budapest. You can easily fill a week. If you are in a hurry, it's still worth 4 or 5 days.

Prague is high-impact, but there are not that many things to see. Good place for music, though. I'd suggest 3 or 4 days there.

crazychick Jul 6th, 2007 02:12 PM

6 nights in Prague is too long really, I would cut it down to 4 at the max I would do 4-3-4. Prague - Vienna - Budapest

lucy_d Jul 6th, 2007 02:42 PM

Also having visited all three cities, I, too, think Budapest is underrated on this forum. I respectfully disagreee, however, that there is not much to see in Prague. As previously suggested, I would do 4-3-4 Prague, Vienna, Budapest. Have a wonderful trip!

nytraveler Jul 6th, 2007 04:01 PM

Have beeen to all 3 cities several times - Vienna 7 I think - and to me the ranking should be Prague, Budapest and Vienna.

Prague is the most intersting, has a broader variety of things to do, an incredibly active music scene and tons of good dining - as well as a couple of day trips.

Budapest is a little more exotic than Vienna - and to me has more life.

Vienna is fine, nothing against it - but it is a little triste - and to me you can easily see the main sights in 3 days - even if you've never been before.

CordeliaCH Jul 6th, 2007 05:10 PM

If you want to add a small town to your trip, Cesky Krumlov (Czech Republic, 3 hours from Prague by train, about the same from Vienna) is a beautiful medieval town. The Vltava meanders through it, it has a castle (with bears), and it is a UNESCO site. You probably wouldn't want to spend more than a day there (there is a lot of outdoors activity if you are looking for it and it is very relaxing but very quiet) but it is unique, well-preserved, absolutely lovely and quite charming. I highly recommend seeing it since you have so much time in the area. You could also take a day trip there from Prague but it would make for a lot of travel in one (very long) day.

Kjoann Jul 7th, 2007 06:01 AM

All your ideas really help! Cesky Krumlov has always sounded interesting, and I see how to get there from Prague (train or bus not bad) but I can't find info on how to get from Cesky Krumlov to Vienna--is it really 7 hours by train???

crazychick Jul 8th, 2007 02:25 AM

Use this site for bus and train times.
www.idos.cz

carylspall Jul 8th, 2007 03:49 AM

I would agree with the 4-3-4
Vienna is a beautiful city. We saw most things we needed to see in 3 days.

buongiorno Jul 8th, 2007 04:13 AM

We just came back from all 3 cities and I would do 4 Prague, 3 Vienna and 4 Budapest. If you enjoy fine dining, try Tom George in Budapest, right behind the 4 Seasons hotel. We had one of the most amazing meals there.

Christina Jul 8th, 2007 08:54 AM

Cesky Krumlov is not even on a train line, and not in the direction of Vienna, so if you found some train schedule that took 7 hours, it wouldn't surprise me but that's not typical. You'd have to get to the nearby town with a train station first by bus or taxi (add that time in, also), which is Ceske Budejovice. All runs during the day are 5-6 hours total and involve 2-3 changes (one of which is to get from CK by bus to CB).

You can't get to Cesky Krumlov by train in 3 hours from Prague, either, I believe the quickest time is 4-5 hours. That's because there is no train station, although it is about 3 hrs by train to Ceske Budejovice. The bus is faster overall as it goes there because they do have a bus station. Personally, I would never add on Cesky Krumlov to your already too-busy schedule.

I've spent a week in Prague a couple times and had plenty to do, but I have some special interests there that don't appeal to a lot of people, and don't just visit the tourist sites in the center. For typical first-time tourist, I think 3-4 days suits a lot of people. Hard to say if you'd find 6 days too much or not.

I prefer Prague to Budapest, but I've spent more time there, so maybe I just missed all the things to do in Budapest and will have to get back there. Partly is was the feeling of the city, though. I enjoyed seeing Vienna for its history and important, but didn't really like it very well.

althom1122 Jul 8th, 2007 08:59 AM

Personally, I'd replace Vienna with Cesky Krumlov. I liked it better and always enjoy mixing small towns with big cities on a European itinerary - even though the connections will be a bit inconvenient.