Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Prague and Budapest (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/prague-and-budapest-1015208/)

DianePD May 24th, 2014 05:04 AM

Prague and Budapest

We r taking a river cruise this summer and will be in Prague and Budapest on our own for 3days. We need hotel/inns/. Bed and breakfast recommendations. We do not like chain hotels. Would like to be fairly central. We like more local/ smaller hotels, with more local flavor. We don't need fancy. But must be clean. And nice. Any help would be appreciated. Also restaurant recommendations again local types of places. Thanks

nytraveler May 24th, 2014 05:10 AM

You have left out a couple of important facts:

Who is "we" - are you a couple that can share one double bed?

And what is your nightly budget - a specific amount in euros - not "average" or "won't break the budget"?

DianePD May 24th, 2014 09:06 AM

We is my husband and myself. About the price. I don't know what hotels go for in either city....just starting my research. From what I've heard. Under $200 which is approx 150 euros

JulieCallahan May 24th, 2014 09:14 PM

omg, in Budapest you can get a nice, clean and central hotel for under 75 dollars a night. (The price might be quoted in euro, but our currency is the forint - and you can, and should, pay in forint... the exchange rate to the euro is about 300:1)

Try the Butterfly Bed and Breakfast.

Ruby99 May 25th, 2014 05:45 AM

Really enjoyed Budapest... we stayed at the Iberostar Grand Hotel which was really nice and had huge rooms and gorgeous canopy beds... but it is a chain...

One of the best suggestions I got off the forums here for Budapest was to try out the lemonade in restaurant and cafes. Every one seems to have their own recipe... I tried 8-9 different ones and they were all so good! Found the overall prices to be quite cheap and you will eat VERY well.

Enjoy! I can't help for Prague, I'm just heading there myself in October...

DianePD May 26th, 2014 04:58 AM

Thanks everyone. What is the name of the area I should be looking at for hotels in Budapest.

maxima May 26th, 2014 06:31 AM

I stayed at the Maximilian Hotel in Prague. Its on a quiet street and a very close walk to everything in Old Town. It is a smaller hotel with nice accommodations, breakfast is included.

JulieCallahan May 26th, 2014 07:31 AM

In Budapest, I would look in Pest. Any of the areas between the Margit Bridge and the Liberty Bridge a bit closer to the water than further would be fine by me.

From a district perspective, the 5th is good... The 6th thru 8th might be good.

The address of the hotel denotes the district. Our zip codes are four digits. The middle two digits are the district.

My zip code is 1137. I live in district 13. The first digit is always a 1 for Budapest. This is nice to know as you can tell roughly where restaurants are located.

And, of course, you can always ask here. ;-)

DianePD May 28th, 2014 06:11 PM

Thanks for all of the info.