Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Prague-and bordering countries (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/prague-and-bordering-countries-1653679/)

mcgiraldi May 22nd, 2018 05:44 PM

Prague-and bordering countries

We are planning on going to Prague in August for about 10 days. We would like to visit a bordering country. We have no idea where else to go. We could start in the bordering country then go to Prague. We would like to hear from anyone who would have any advice as to where to visit. ANd how to get from one place to the other.

Thanks a bunch

PalenQ May 22nd, 2018 05:51 PM

Germany and Austria are fairly short train/bus trips away - Vienna - Salzburg - Berlin or Munich all 4-5 hours or so. Anyway for lots on trains check www.bahn.de/en - German Railways all-European schedule site - www.seat61.com for booking own tickets - at a discount if act early enough - general info where to go and about trains www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts. Poland is of course close by too so it's hard to say what you may like best.

thursdaysd May 22nd, 2018 07:48 PM

Dresden. Wroclaw. Krakow. Trains - see seat61.com.

mcgiraldi May 23rd, 2018 06:27 AM

I have seen info on travelling from Amsterdam to Prague by plane. We were considering that. Maybe 5 days in Amsterdam and then fly to Pargue and stay 5 days there. Does that sound like a good plan to anyone? And is the weather nice In August in this area?

Thank You

Christina May 23rd, 2018 09:01 AM

The easiest is Germany or AUstria. Trains to Dresden or even Berlin aren't that long, and trains to Vienna aren't bad either. there us a good long distance bus service from Munich. So decide what appeals to you.

Poland is trickier as the places of interest to most tourists are not an easy train trip from Prague (meaning take a long time).

PalenQ May 23rd, 2018 01:57 PM

I'd maybe suggest 4 days in Amsterdam and 3 in Prague and say Vienna for the rest. Weather is likely to be warm but rarely very hot in those two cities.

mcgiraldi May 23rd, 2018 06:14 PM

But how would you suggest we get from one place to the other. We were thinking flying from Amsterdam to Prague. You have been to Prague and feel 3 days is enough?

thursdaysd May 23rd, 2018 06:26 PM

Suggest you read up on trains in Europe. See https://www.seat61.com/index.html

Leely2 May 23rd, 2018 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by mcgiraldi (Post 16734824)
But how would you suggest we get from one place to the other. We were thinking flying from Amsterdam to Prague. You have been to Prague and feel 3 days is enough?

for me three days in Prague wouldn't be enough, but it really depends on your interests. If it were me and I were planning to fly from Amsterdam to Prague and split a 10-day vacation, I might do 4 days Amsterdam, 6 Prague. I liked many of the sites that were further afield in Prague, plus the parks. But a 5-5 split would be good too.

Check skyscanner.com for flights.

LancasterLad May 23rd, 2018 10:14 PM

There plenty to see in the Czech Republic in addition to Prague, and it's easy enough to get around by train and bus.

mcgiraldi May 24th, 2018 07:23 AM

Thanks for the help. Can you tell me what you liked outside of Prague? We haven't an idea what to see. We are just researching now

Bellarosa70032 May 24th, 2018 12:22 PM

I would go to either Cesky Krumlov, Kutna Hora, or Karlovy Vary. Each have their own attractions--Kutna Hora has a medieval silver mine that you can go into and can be a day trip from Prague. Cesky Krumlov is an UNESCO site, and Karlovy Vary is a wonderful spa town (think of the movie Last Holiday). Dresden can also be a day trip on the train from Prague. There's so much to see in Prague itself--look at the Mucha Museum, catch an opera there, besides the normal tourist attractions.

Christina May 24th, 2018 12:30 PM

You could easily fly to another city if that's what you want to do. The Prague airport is pretty easy to deal with and not that far out. So if you want to go to Amsterdam, that would work fine. I've been to Prague several times as I like it, but for reasons that wouldn't be relevant to the average Joe, I go for the famous classical music festival in the Spring and my interest in Czech composers.

I think 3 days would work for many tourists, but if you have 10 days, you could split that into two major cities, easily, like Prague an Amsterdam. Or the other places that were mentioned where you can get by train. By plane, you can easily got a lot of places, Czech Air usually has very reasonable fares to Paris, for example.

Elsewhere in the CR, people like Cesky Krumlov. I liked it okay, but really liked Tabor and Olomouc, and Kutna Hora was a good day trip from Prague. There are some good reasonably priced bus day tour companies in Prague, that's what I used for CK and Kutna Hora. I went to Tabor and Olomouc by train myself. Just depends how much you want to immerse yourself in the CR versus see two different places. oh, many others go to Karlovy Vary, it hasn't called to me for some reason.

Here are some day tour companies to give you ideas of what you could visit.
http://www.pstours.cz/trips-outside-prague/
Trips out of Prague

YOu can easily do Dresden or Vienna on your own, though, but those companies are convenient for some of those within the CR. Both those companies seem to do the same thing. They used to have a little more variety, actually.

https://www.praguebus.tours/vylet-pr...uboka-chateau/
The above tour I took and really enjoyed it, even though when I took it, it was with PST, I am not familiar with this company. But we went to those two sites.

Leely2 May 24th, 2018 05:40 PM

I find Amsterdam a pretty easy airport too. Just take the train right into Central Station. So I sort of like the Prague-Amsterdam combo if you want two cities. They are quite different and would contrast nicely with each other.

I was not a big fan of Cesky Krumlov, but enjoyed Telc and Jrindichuv Hradec if you're looking for small towns. The driving is very easy down in Southern Bohemia.

mcgiraldi May 24th, 2018 06:25 PM

Thank You so much for your help!!!

rutgerB Jun 1st, 2018 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by mcgiraldi (Post 16734208)
We are planning on going to Prague in August for about 10 days. We would like to visit a bordering country. We have no idea where else to go. We could start in the bordering country then go to Prague. We would like to hear from anyone who would have any advice as to where to visit. ANd how to get from one place to the other.

Thanks a bunch

Nice rout is Prague - Nurnberg (Amberg, Bamberg, Lanschut) - Munchen - Salzburg - Linz - Czech Krumlov - Prague. I recommend to hire car for this. Shorter trips are to Dresden, Vienna, Bratislava. One more longer nice trip is to Italy (North - Komo, Guarda, Milano) throwgh Switzerland. Very beautiful Alpes road .

KarenWoo Jun 2nd, 2018 05:12 AM

We rented a car in Czech Republic and it is easy driving. We really enjoyed Cesky Krumlov, Kutna Hora, Karlovy Vary and Telc. they are all different from each other. Karlovey Vary can be a relaxing destination with a spa visit and sampling mineral water. Telc is very pretty and more quiet than the other places.

mcgiraldi Jun 19th, 2018 04:44 PM

How would I get from one pace to the other?

kja Jun 19th, 2018 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by mcgiraldi (Post 16748779)
How would I get from one pace to the other?

You might consult rome2rio.com