Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Prague airport to city centre? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/prague-airport-to-city-centre-486452/)

sakis Nov 17th, 2004 02:03 AM

Prague airport to city centre?

I'm leaving for Prague next week,and I would like to know which are my options for transferring between airport and our hotel (hotel JOSEF ,near old town square).
Any ideas for places with great coffee or hot chocolate?Thank you very much in advance.I would also like to thank you for the very helpful information I took till now from all of you!

Dave_ Nov 17th, 2004 04:54 AM

Here's all the information you probably need on airport transfers (and a whole load of other really useful information on Prague):

http://www.jasoncholt.com/prague/prahaairport.html

I used the bus/metro methos and it was reasonably quick, efficient, hassle-free and very cheap.

britomart Nov 17th, 2004 12:25 PM

We had no problem taking the bus to our hotel in the Dejvicka neighborhood. We also used the Metro a lot to get around... and we got checked once for our tickets so make sure you buy them and stamp them in the machines. Here is a useful website: http://www.myczechrepublic.com/prague/prague_metro.html

Also you might consider a taxi, it was very reasonable, our hotel arranged a fixed rate for us for 480 koruna on the way back.

As for coffee, every place we went had good Cappucino.

Renee Nov 17th, 2004 12:27 PM

http://www.prague-airport-shuttle.co.../orderform.htm

aprilmb Nov 30th, 2004 10:26 AM

Renee, have you used the airport shuttle service that you recommend? It sounds great and very reasonable.

Renee Nov 30th, 2004 10:40 AM

Hi April,

No, I plan to use them in March when I'll be in Prague for the first time. I believe someone here recommended them to me....either Elaine or Christina. After going through the entire site, it appears that they have their act together and the price is reasonable...roughly $50USD (I think the exchange rate is slightly higher now) for up to four people for a pickup/return to/from the airport to our hotel (Waldstein).

Renee Nov 30th, 2004 10:46 AM

Correction....just checked the site...it is 54.00 USD for up to THREE people.

AHaugeto Nov 30th, 2004 11:06 AM

H and I used Prague Airport Shuttle back in March of this year and had no issues- just confirm your return trip with your driver before they drop you off and you shouldn't have any problems. As for coffee/hot cocoa, for people watching and some good history the Cafe Slavia is a must-do (and thier hot apple roll is pretty good, too). Have a great trip!

aprilmb Nov 30th, 2004 05:28 PM

AHaugeto, I just finished reading your very detailed and excellent Prague trip report from earlier this year and now I really cannot wait to get there! I leave in two weeks. I'd love to see a concert, but am packing very light and am not planning to take any dressy clothing. Can you please tell me what the dress code is in the concert halls? I'm guessing some are dressier than others and that jeans are probably never OK.

Renee, I too am going to book the airport shuttle that you recommend. It does have excellent reviews. Thanks.

Christina Dec 1st, 2004 01:55 PM

I think sakis is long gone, but any hotel of that level should have a private car service available and I think that is your best bet. They will arrange for airport pickup and deliver at a flat rate that should be reasonable. I stayed at 4* Hotel Maximilian (right near Josef) and the car and driver they used charged about 500 CK per trip (which at that time was about US$15, now is more). I think all the 4* hotels in Prague do that, and perhaps 3*.

Public transportation is not very convenient from the airport, in my opinion, because there is no metro stop. I wouldn't do it as car services are quite reasonable in Prague. You can just get into a multi-user airport van shuttle service at the airport with no reservation and pay more like 250-300 CK, probably (I remember it was less than the 500 CK). You do not need to reserve in advance, so no worry about having to find someone or being late, etc.

Renee, I did not recommend any airport shuttle service on the internet. I have used three methods: hotel car service, walk-up multi-person van shuttle, and private airport car service at the airport that I walked up to at the curb (I do not remember exact name but it was painted on the side of the car, something simple like "airport taxi"). I did not arrange the van shuttle or the airport car service in advance, just got them upon arrival at the curb.

ThinGorjus Dec 1st, 2004 04:44 PM

Prague-airportshuttle.com is VERY UNRELIABLE!!!!! I used them in July. No problem with arrival pickup at airport. However, I had a reservation for pickup for flight to return home. Chris, the driver, never picked us up. I rang his mobile and only got a voice message. We had to eventually find a cab to take us to the airport, almost missing our flight over this debacle. We had CONFIRMATION WRITTEN ON BACK OF CHRIS' BUSINESS CARD WITH PICKUP TIME.

I do not recommend this service to anyone.

Cheers,
John G.

Renee Dec 2nd, 2004 06:28 AM

Sorry about that Christina...you've helped me so much during my Prague research, I naturally assumed it could be you.

John,
Please don't tell me that! Arrghhh!! Christina, will I find the multi-user van right outside the airport? I'd better have back up plans just in case.

Christina Dec 2nd, 2004 11:29 AM

oh, that's okay, Renee, I just didn't want you or someone else to think I was recommending a service when I wasn't, just so no confusion. I know John above did not have a good experience with this firm.

As for a backup, yes, you can find the airport shuttle vans very easily as the airport is not large at all. Just walk out the door to where public transportation will be marked, and you will easily see them on the righthand side of the door entrance (at least when I was there). Their vans are marked in English and I think they have some signs, also. They are very easy to find. The only thing is you would need to wait for the van to fill up with customers, but that shouldn't be a problem (I think I waited 10 minutes) if you are arriving during the daytime. This is an easy backup plan as you don't need to do anything in advance.

The private airport car service I took was also at this curb but more directly in front of you. It was basically like a taxi only I guess they specialize in airport service as their name was something like that. That really was nicer and the driver was excellent and spoke excellent English. As I recall, the car was metered like a taxi, but as I heard all the bad stories about taxis, I was nervous that I could get a bad surprise. I did not have any problems because the final fare was reasonable (a total of about 600 CK, slightly higher than the hotel car service), but it's one less thing to worry about if you take the flat-rate van shuttle.

ChrisinPrague Dec 2nd, 2004 01:38 PM

I can not say how distressed I am to read your post ThinGorjus.

I am terribly sorry to have missed your pickup and inconvenienced you.

I started my company 3 years ago with just my car and myself, now I have 10 drivers working with me and we often do more than 70 transfers a day.

I fear that we do make mistakes and everyone is a big setback to me. The number on my card is now the office number and when my daughter is not in the office all calls are diverted to my cell phone. as you know I drive too and I do not like answering the phone when I am driving.

As of this morning we have done 20281 transfers, we have indeed missed people, 28 to my knowledge. I have emailed each one and offered free transfers should they return to Prague, I certainly hope that you received one from me as well.

Overall I think we do a pretty good job, just under 40% of our new customers are referrals, we are recommended in the Time Out guide to Prague as well as Scanorama, the SAS inflight magazine.

We are agents for easyJet, EUJet and Globespan airlines.

We provided the tranfers for the Seeds Of Peace conference as well as the EU conference on antidiscrimination.

We provided the transport for James Brown when he came to Prague and will do the same for Chuck Berry when he comes in January. We even provided transport to the US Secret Service when Mrs. Bush was here.

But our most important customers are people like you. 60% of our customers are middle aged couples who come to Prague for the first time to experience the beauty of the city and the Czech culture.

We try and ease people into the new surroundings by providing information, how to use the Public Transport, what scams to watchout for, good value off the beaten track restaurants, where to change money.

But because we like our customers we do other things like take you to the police station if you lost your passport, stop at the supermarket and get some proper milk for your six year old because you are worried about the quality of the milk here, we will even find you a place to stay if the landlord of the private flat you rented is nowhere to be found at midnight when you arrive and we will even be waiting for you if your 1900 flight lands at 0300.

Our goal is to treat everyone as if they are special because indeed everyone is.

So we do our best, sadly that is not always good enough.