Reload this Page >

Prague Airport to City

Search

Prague Airport to City

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 1999, 08:26 AM
linda

Prague Airport to City

My husband and I will be flying from Budapest to Prague in late May. Any suggestions to get from Airport to our hotel in Old Town? How much would taxi be? Are they honest? Do drivers speak any English? <BR>

Old Apr 18th, 1999, 09:54 AM
s.fowler

As of spring '98 there was an "official" taxi service into town. There was a notice above the baggage carousel explaining which cars to use. My memory is the the cars are white. I think they also have vans. My memory [and I hope someone will help me here] is that is was between 500-600 Czech crowns. [approx. 3 to the US$] It is expensive, but it's better than it was before the new system. Taxis in Prague are problematic. Better to walk or use public transportation. [but VALIDATE that ticket!] <BR>

Old Apr 18th, 1999, 11:18 PM
Helena

The white "taxis" in fron of the Prague airport are convenient and safe, but overpriced. If you're willing to get a phone card and are not shy, it's very easy to call one of several terrific cab companies from the airport (payphones right as you exit baggage claim, newsstand with phone cards just to the left of bag claim exit) and get into town much cheaper. Try AAA Taxi or Central Dispatching, they both speak English, and are very accustomed to picking up at the airport. <BR> <BR>AAA: Their phone number is 1080. They charge 20 Kc to get in and 16.90 Kc per km. Tell them you're at the airport. They will tell you to go towards a "Samsung" billboard just to the right of the baggage claim exit area, and they'll tell you exactly in how many minutes your car will be there, and what make/color the car will be. The ride in to old town should be approx. 350 Kc. <BR> <BR>Central Dispatching is a bit cheaper but the cars tend to be older and smaller (but they're fine, it's who I use every day). They charge 25 Kc to get in, but only 12.90 Kc per km. Their phone number is 1087. The process is the same. <BR> <BR>The white taxis in front of the airport are not officially taxis, a difference which allows them to charge more than the legal rate for cabs. They have made a deal with the airport and the police to occupy the main space in front of the airport, and have been known to harrass drivers from other cab companies who try to pick up right in front of the exit. So, this system where you go 10 yards to the right to the Samsung billboard to get outside cabs evolved over time, and it works great, is safe, and you'll get in town cheaper and easier. <BR> <BR>Incidentally, taking a bus into town from the airport is slooooow and often crowded so you might not be able to sit down. It is cheap though - 12 Kc - although you do have to have a ticket and validate it when you get on the bus. The Newsstand by the bag claim has public transport tickets - good for bus, trams, metro. <BR> <BR>Sorry for the info overload, hope this was helpful.

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 12:32 AM
deepa

I think Sally meant Cz 30 to the USd. The current EXR is about 35/USd. <BR>

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 03:37 AM
s.fowler

Thanks Helena! I've saved the info offline. <BR>I have to make a confession. For all the travelling I've done I've never conquered local phones in Europe. I figured out trains in Eastern Europe at the age of 55..perhaps phones by 60? <BR>Usually when I arrive in Prague it is after a transatlantic flight plus an inter-europe flight and to be honest the white cars look good at that point! <BR>And yes... "my bad" 35 Czech crowns to the US$.