Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Prague-2 Days What to do and where to eat (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/prague-2-days-what-to-do-and-where-to-eat-14029/)

Jill Cushon Apr 20th, 1997 07:03 AM

Prague-2 Days What to do and where to eat

I have two days in Prague and I would like to see the major sites and eat nice, but reasonably priced food. I am also interested in learning about any great finds for shopping that would include crystal jewlery and glass works.

Thanks

Michael Pierson May 1st, 1997 07:46 PM

I spent 6 days in prague in May of 1995 during the Prague Spring Music festival. Take the metro to Wenceslas Square (Muzuem stop) and you will be in the heart of the city. Continue through the square, visit city hall and go up in the tower-great view. and you will come to "new town" and the Charles Bridge. There are lots of shops in this area but I didn't see any great deals on crystal because of the tourist traffic there. At the other end of the Charles Bridge is Little Town-check out some of the larger cathedrals there. Continue up hill to visit the Prague Castle and check out St. Vitus Cathedral while you are there. For A terrific view of the entire city, while in little town, find the trolley that takes you to the top of Petrin Park. There you will find a tower-the view from the top affords a view of the carpathian mountains in the distance.
I found all restaurants and entertainment to be very cheap. Good luck-I found the "Eyewitness Guide" for Prague to be extremely useful.

richard May 5th, 1997 12:51 PM

When you arrive I suggest getting the English language newpaper Prague Post. I found their restaurant recommendations to be very accurate.

Eat at the restaurant by the river. When you are walking from Old Town across the Charles It's the first restaurant you see (closest to the bridge.) Hillary Clinton ate there last summer.

The food is very inexpensive in Prague. I also recommend the Italian restaurants and wood fired brick oven pizza.

RONALD DOBRYDNIO Jun 20th, 1997 10:10 AM

SEE MY MESSAGE POSTED TODAY ON PRAGUE PICKPOCKETS AND OTHER PERILS. OTHERWISE A FINE PLACE TO VISIT. THE RESTAURANTS OFTEN OVERCHARGE AND TRY TO EXTRACT A FEW EXTRA DOLLARS HERE AND THERE. CAVEAT EMPTOR.

Sarah Scandiffio Jun 22nd, 1997 09:16 PM

I have just spent 4 1/2 months studying in Prague and have come across many great things to do and see. First, go to a restaurant called "U Modre Kachernicky"(?) on Nebovidska ulice. My friend lived in the apatment right next door and it was always packed or try "nebozizek" which is on Petrin hill (take the funicular up). If you want a light meal try one of Pragues most famous tearooms "Dobra Cajovna" or "Ruzova Cajovna" to sit in a garden and relax with infused tea. I do not reccommend going to WenclelasSquare for anything but sightseeing because everything is so overpriced and touristy. The food is very inexpensive for we ate at the most expensive restaurant in Prague and the bill for 8 of us cost $80. As pertaining to sights, definitely do the Castle (St. Vitus') and walk down Nerudova ulice named for the famous Czech writer, Jan Neruda. Goto Kampa island, under the Charles Bridge and sit and feed the ducks and you might even want to paddle boat in the Vltava. Go down Zlata Ulice (Golden Lane) up by the castle. 2 days is not enough but these things are probably the most romantic but my all time favorite was to walk on the bridge at night and sit on a statue. Any other questions or directions, e-mail me.

keith russel ladwig Jun 23rd, 1997 05:07 PM

Sarah S., I am very interested in moving to Prague. I've been corresponding with an ESL school called California Sun School. Have you heard of it?
I've lived here in CA most of my 30 years and I'm fed up with a lack of culture. . . Boring unoriginal Philostines race passed me for the next trendy bar or ab flex machine . . . I'm not bitter, though, only anxious to move and why am I telling you this? Anyhow, here's my main question . . . if I were to move with a teaching job or no, could I find work as a handsome young american male who loves to report from below the skin of human affections? You know the writer of character stories . . . A modern day Sherwood Anderson . . . And if so, where, in what area is it hip to live inexpensively and start a band? Below the tourists; I play heavy Jazz-like music with a guitar . . . music . . . sounds . . . not unlike grating iron like cheese, but also at times the sound of cooing doves departing in first flight.. Is Praha a pleasant setting for this avant garde theme . . . scientist rock is my for it.
I wish I had more "Praha" connections.
Ms. S, please do not consture my friendly gestures as those of some freak or worse . . . inner-net kook. I am neither . . . I am a self-taught madman.
Sincerely, with dearest intent, I am,
Ben Schiele