Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Practical Advice NEEDED For Long Anticipated Trip to Italy, (in Trouble)

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 04:32 AM
nancy

Ok. guys.
I need some input here.
As some of you know, our yr long planned trip to Italy has undergone some changes.
Husband flying back tyo states, 7 days early for important(?) show put on by Smithsonian Institute.
One of my dearest friends for the past 25 yrs would come to Italy for our beach week.
She is one of the children's favorite "aunties".
The only hang up, is friend's husband is slightly agrophobic, and does NOT want her to fly to Naples, and get into a car with driver, that I hire for her, to bring her to our hotel.
She can only come if we actually meet her at the Naples airport.
So, my questions are, what might work best?.

1-Has anyone ever driven to the Naples Airport from the north?
Is it terribly confusing?
I would be willing to drive there and get her.

2-another chioce for us, is for the children and I to take a train for Formia to the Naples Airport, and then have the driver take us all back to Formia.
3- the third and most expensive, is to hire driver to take 3 to the airport and bring back 4 of us.

I know that I would be fine in Italy (without my husband )with only the children.
But, it would be a lot of fun having my friend with us, and would help the children with their disappointment concerning their father leaving early because of his work.

I love adventure! but I need to know I could find the airport if I set out with the children and the car.
any suggestions/ advice on practicality / feasibility of the 3 ideas?
thank you sooooo much for any help!

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 04:57 AM
mac

Nancy, as this requirement is being stipulated by your friend's husband, you might tactfully indicate to him that he will be the one underwriting the cost of having you meet your friend at the airport in a taxi. Good luck.

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 05:33 AM
nancy

Mac,
while I agree with you to an extent, and my friend can definitely afford it.
she is putting her life on hold for a week and doing us a favor.
so, cost is not the most relevant point.

Do you have any idea what last minute tickets to Naples and then out of rome will cost my friend?

But thanks for your input, i value all responses.

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 05:50 AM
s.fowler

You can do a search on Yahoo travel.The url for multi city flights is: http://edit.yahoo.com/config/ytravel...ghtsM&.intl=us

Good luck!

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 06:04 AM
Dona

Nancy,

I sent you an e-mail but not sure I had your correct address. Good to hear from you as your trip approaches - but too bad you're hitting a snag.

I don't think driving to the airport is a big deal - assuming that you have some sense of adventure! From my map, it looks like you take S7 to the autodtrada south to the airport. I'd stay out of Naples - that's crazy - but I liked driving all over that area - no problem...

Dona

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 02:19 PM
Linda

Driving to the Naples airport from Formia shouldn't be too difficult. There is an exit off the Tangenziale (the loop road around Naples). There will be no driving in downtown Naples and little through the city, just the short stretch from the "Tanj" to the airport itself.

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 02:23 PM
Linda

Forgot a few things (senior moment again--getting too many of those things lately. First, the S-7 should join on the Tanj north of Naples. Second, the airport exit is really close to the airport (look for Capodochino and an airplane on the signs) and, if you still can't find it, just ask for aeroporto. But you should have no problems. Just be careful on the Tanj for people changing lanes without signaling. (I think there is some unwritten LAW in Naples against signaling intentions!) If you have any other questions, please e-mail me. And have a great time in Italy. (Can I hitch a ride in your bags? But I'm too big for a carry on!)

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 02:41 PM
nancy

Dona,
Hello!
It has been a long time since I have seen you here.
Yes, the trip has hit some "frost heaves" (what we call bumps in the road that show up only in the winter)
But, it is still going forward.
I think we may try the drive.
Linda,
That is why i was asking for advice, I heard that driving in Naples is crazier than in Rome!( is that even possible?)
But, to know that it is basically highway driving, and pretty straight forward, with a good map, is reassuring.
still I may think about the train/driver.

I must have a good sense of adventure, (or is it humor, or is it insanity, ) to even continue with this trip, husband included .
but you all were sp supportive 5 weeks ago, it was a big help.
thanks for the advice!!

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 02:58 PM
nancy

Bill,
This is not the post you replied to, but because of fodoritis, the site posted my thread twice.

Anyway, originally I thought train/driver is the way to go, but after reading Linda and Dona's posts, maybe I will drive.
but I certainly had the same picture in my head, as you do, of Napolitan drivers!

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 03:37 PM
Linda

Yes, everything you've heard about Neapolitan drivers is true. Rome is positively tame. Right turns from left turn lanes, across three lanes of traffic (when only two are marked), all on a red light, are quite common. (They say stop lights are advisory in nature!) But to be fair, most accidents are small fender benders and hardly rate a raised eyebrow. Having said that, you won't have real problems on the autostrada or Tanj. That's because supposedly all traffic is going in the same direction. (Note, I said supposedly. I have seen cars going backwards down the Tanj because they missed their exit 1/2 mile back, or just driving on the wrong side of the road. But this happens seldom.) Driving in Naples is not for the faint of heart, but I lived there 3 1/2 years and never had an accident. But then, when I left, at my going-away roast, they made mention of that fact, several times. Seems I was in the vast minority. Most of my friends had accidents, but none on the autostrada or Tanj. As longh as you are pretty much sticking to limited access roads, you should have no problem.

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 04:41 PM
Paulo

Once you have a car, Nancy, I also don't think that not using it would make any sense.

Basically, you have two routes to hit the Capodichino Airport from Formia. Either you take the S-7 and it's continuation south (S-7qu) through Castel Voturno to the Tangenziale as explained by Linda, or you take S7 all the way to the east till you hit the A1 Austostrada, as suggested by Dona. In the latter case, by taking the Casoria/Capodichino exit you hit the Tangenziale from the east and the well marked airport exit is a couple of kilometers away. By using the first route you should take approximately one hour. The 2nd route should take some 10 minutes longer.

I'd drive the 1st route (faster and more scenic along the coast) even though I think that the 2nd one may be somewhat easier.

Paulo

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 05:23 PM
Art

Hi Nancy, I hope that having your husband along won't ruin your trip. I wish you the best.
Regards
Art

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 12:08 PM
nancy

Paulo!
again, thanks for stepping in with your advice and reinforcement for my plans.
Dona did suggest I contact you , and I was just going to to put up a post looking for you
As alwyas, you come through with great practical info.
I always appreciate it!
Art,
I , too, hope he does not ruin the trip for me.
Unless WW3 begins between us, I think the children really need to have their dad along, at least for part of the trip.
Rome will be so beautiful and overwhelming, that I do not think even he can ruin it.
and we still have the beach week without.
thanks for your words!

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 06:49 PM
thinkabout it

This trip is doomed. I hope you make the most of it, but I'm afraid the kids are going to remember European travel as the time during which their parents split and will never travel again without trepidation.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 08:13 AM
nancy

Think About It,
Well, you may or maynot be correct!
We will not know until we go on this trip.
The fact that their dad is leaving early to display his work at an "invitation only" show put on by the Smithsonian Institute is unfortunately the way our lives have been for the last 6 yrs.
"Daddy's work" takes him away frequently and not always at convienent times.
So, the children are "use to" him leaving on "short notice"
We will be fine, there is tension of course, nothing out of the "ordinary" that married couples go through.
He is the Great Pretnder, and I just really want to go on this trip I have planned studied, and planned some more for over a yr.
My very close friend, and the children's "auntie" will be flying in the day their Dad leaves.
We will have a blast!!
What would you suggest I do instead?
Cancel the whole thing?
Stay home and have us all regret not going?
Thanks for your 2 cents though.
This does look to be a difficult situation!! to say the least.
But, I bought my driving map today so I am set

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 08:33 AM
Sue

You will have a blast! Just ask the Texas gals (Sandy et al) who travel all the time without spouses. They insist that it is half the cost and twice the fun! Attitude is everything, Nancy! Push the same idea with the kids and you will all enjoy the time more.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 10:03 AM
Sandy

Hi Nancy,

Sandy here, one of the Texas gals that Sue just mentioned . . . we three gals have GREAT hubbies but, they are terrible travelers and hate it to-boot.

We have the absolute funnest times without them. When you travel w/hubby, you end up doing, seeing, going, eating what he wants. If you want to go to a museum, he'll go but either whine or act tired and 10-1 you'll cut the visit short to keep the peace.

With my girl friends, we're all up early and ready to go, if one doesn't want to do what we do, they strike out alone and we meet up later (try getting a hubby to let you out of his sight).

I've been married to my great guy for 37 years and separate vacations is one of the things that's kept us together and happy.

Don't worry, you'll have a ball w/o hubby, in fact, you may get spoiled and never want to travel with him again!

Have a great time!
Sandy

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 10:41 AM
nancy

Sue,
Thanks for conjuring up one of the Texas Girls for me.
Sandy,
you are definitely correct!
I have already planned a trip in a couple yrs to celebrate my 50th, and it will be my sister and 2 other women friends.
Unfortunately, I do not think my husband will ever travel with me after this trip, as he is planning on moving out this summer.
But, it is so nice to hear you have a great man and a great longterm marriage.
I just know we will have a ball, esp. after my friend arrives.