Search

Postponed trip to Italy - depression ensues

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Ivy
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Postponed trip to Italy - depression ensues

Well our March 26th trip to florence and venice has to be postponed due to work related issues. I am SOO depressed. We will be going in May now instead of March. I just cancelled the hotels and United said they would let me change the dates of the flight without a penalty so long as my new tix cost more than my old one's (which they will, by a long shot). I know it's only 2 months but I have been so excited about finally getting to Venice that two months seems like a LONG time. Will venice and florence be way more crowded in May than in March? Any one have any comfort for me??
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 05:17 PM
cmt

May will be so beautiful. You'll be able to pack lighter because you won't need cool weather clothes. Somewhere in the larger crowds you may find a new friend. Next fall it won't seem like your vacation was SO long ago.

Do I get a gold star for all these examples of positive thinking?
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 05:23 PM

I agree with cmt the weather will be much better!
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Ivy
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I guess the weather is a plus. I want to be able to take great pictures. I appreciate the positive thinking. How crowded are these cities in may?
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 05:59 PM

Not as bad as July or August!
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 06:17 PM

Ah, more time to plan and look forward to going! (Is this Pollyannaish or what??
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 07:28 PM

May is WAY better than March for Italy. The weather will be much better and it's still early enough that crowds won't be a big factor.

It might be a bummer now, but when you're hopping on that flight in May rather than looking through photos from your vacation TWO MONTHS AGO, you'll be happy!
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 01:40 AM

May is definitely better. Your patience will pay off, and you may even get to go to the beach!! a worthwhile wait, i assure you.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 03:34 AM

And in May, you'll have fresh peas, and apricots, and cherries . . .
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 04:05 AM

Considering depression is a serious illness among many and no laughing matter, I think your whiny, self-indulgent thread belongs in "the most annoying people to sit next to on a plane." Crying over March to May in Italy...you should be slapped.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 05:54 AM

Lucky you - the Iris Garden at Piazzale Michelangelo is only open during May.

http://www.aboutflorence.com/parks-in-Florence.html
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 05:56 AM

Believe me, Venice will be much beautiful in May. We went around April 20 two years ago and it still looked like early spring there and was quite cool. You will get to see lots of flowers in bloom which is my favorite part of a trip. Wisteria there is spectacular.I don't think there would be much in bloom in March there.

Also the bands will play at San Marco Piazza every night in May. I am not sure they do that in March because of the cold weather- not to mention that a gondola ride is not much fun in the cold!

Have a great time in May!

I have often had to cancel or postpone trips due to my husband's job requirements. That is very frustrating.
Right now I am trying to plan a quick trip to Amsterdam , working around my husband and my son's jobs and an airline sale. It can be a challenge to plan a trip without any conflicts. This Amsterdam trip would be in early April, and I am struggling with the decision of going when I know it will be cold, but then I will get to see the tulips bloom. In general it is more fun to go in beautiful weather rather than cool windy and rainy weather.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Ivy
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, except NYC foodsnob who, as usual, lives up to his/her charming and engaging personality.

I guess May will really be better weather wise! You all have given me a great positive spin on things. Thanks!! i will defintely post a trip report when i return.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Ivy
Original Poster

Oh and Sally, we went to Amsterdam last year in May, we missed the tulips and actually the weather was pretty chilly and wet but amsterdam has so much to see and do that the weather didn't really bother us. It's a great city, vrey fun. Let me know if you need any info on it and I will dig up my file.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 09:26 AM

I, like just about everyone else, think this is a good thing. Weather, hours of daylight, landscape, food availability and many other things all will be better in May than in March. And your temporary "blues" will pass fast when you think of all the reasons it will be lovely to be in Italy in May.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 09:38 AM

Ivy, just an FYI, the last 2 weekends in May are a 4-day (Ascension Day May 20) and 3-day (Pentecost May 30) holiday weekends so expect those weekends to be very busy AND churches may have different hours (and have hotel reservations if you are traveling those weeks).

The others are right-the weather is usually perfect and the flowers are really lovely in May!
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 10:07 AM

I can totally sympathize-we were scheduled to go to France on October 11, 2001 and for various reasons, rescheduled it until April of 2002. It was really rought getting through that day at work instead of being on the plane but the trip was wonderful when we finally got to go. I don't think the crowds will be much worse in May and the weather will definately be better!
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 10:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Ivy, I feel your pain. I had to cancel a trip to those same destinations last March due to a family illness (I think I'd be more mad if it was work-related!) We are just now getting around to going (leaving in mid-March) and believe me, the wait has been incredible! But I really do believe that everything happens for a reason, and for whatever reason, maybe it's the weather, maybe you've had a chance to rethink your itinerary and improve upon it, whatever it is, it will make the trip better.

May will be wonderful and will be here before you know it.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 10:54 AM

By May, the 2 month delay will only seem to have been a minor inconvenience.

A couple of years ago, we had to cancel our Italy trip ....only 2 weeks before scheduled departure. I had to send faxes to all of our hotels cancelling. Now that was a bummer.

We didn't get to take our trip until last June. We had never stopped looking forward to our "replacement" trip.

Old Feb 13th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Ivy
Original Poster

Chris: thank you SO much for that info! I will defintely try to schedule so that we are not in Italy on those weekends!! I was thinking like the second week of May, so hopefully that will work out.