Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

where to stay between Salamanca and Zaragoza?

Old Aug 21st, 2017, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are driving around Spain in September/October. The current plan is:
Jerez de la Frontera (and the white villages)
Cordoba
Ubeda
Toledo
Salamanca
??
Zaragoza
Costa Brava or south coalst////
Fly out from Barcelona
As you can see we are avoiding the big cities because we have been there before - this time we are concentrating on beautiful, slightly less visited places.
We have a couple of nights between a few days in Salamanca and three days in Zaragoza for their festival in October. Burgos is clearly about half way but I wondered if any Fodorites know the area well and could recommend a lovely spot in that area - or is Burgos just wonderful and a place not to be missed?
Any accommodation recommendations too? We like moderate authentic friendly places (nothing too lavish).
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 06:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
While I really enjoyed Burgos very much, it seems that you would be heading further north than necessary to get to Zaragoza and then having to head back south east to reach Zaragoza. If that's not an issue, I highly recommend Burgos! I stayed at an AC by Marriott property right outside the city gate but that is probably not what you are looking for.

Here are my pics from northwestern Spain. The first location is Burgos if that may help you.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...CPbR6qm-vJjuGA

If you are looking to go more directly to Zaragoza, how about Segovia? Another great town!

When is the festival in Zaragoza? I will be there the first day or two or three (don't have my itinerary handy) of October.
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Interesting... I was just looking at the route through Segovia and wondering which would be best - Burgos or Segovia. There are just so many beautiful interesting towns, it's hard to cut out any.
The main day of the festival in Zaragoza is 12th October but it seems to work up to that over nearly a week beforehand. Have a look here:
http://www.whatzaragoza.com/pilar-festival.html
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 09:23 PM
kja

I enjoyed both Segovia and Burgos, and don't think you have a bad choice.

Burgos is closer to a halfway-point; Segovia would, I think, involve adding some time.

Burgos has a da Vinci, a lavish cathedral, and a couple of awesome monasteries; Segovia has a Roman aqueduct, and interesting cathedral, and what may be the best roast piglet in the world.

Good luck with your choice!
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 09:34 PM

We like Burgos, just spend a couple of nights there last month. It's changed quite a bit the last few years and even has a decent tapas/pintxos culture now, plus a couple of excellent restaurants.

Another choice would be to head for Aranda de Duero, via Valladolid, which will take you through the Duero wine region. You could end up spending the night in Soria. The Parador de Soria makes for an excellent overnight stop.

From Soria you could head south to Ateca, following along part of the route of El Cid, the Borderlands route (Atienza to Calatayud), ending up in Zaragoza in around 2 hours or so. It's a much easier trip today then it was by horseback in the 16th-century.
Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

oh dear, too many choices. I think I might just wait a while and see how we are inspired closer to the time. There seems to be plenty of good accommodation in both places... it's all too good!
Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 04:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the festival link, yeshekathy. Unfortunately, I will be in Zaragoza before the festival begins (arriving on Sept 28 for 4 nights).
Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 06:20 AM

The Pilar Festival is very popular and you'll find that if you wait too long you may not be able to book the accommodations you want.