Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Possible to take train from Stratford upon Avon to Bath and from Bath to Salisbury?

Search

Possible to take train from Stratford upon Avon to Bath and from Bath to Salisbury?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crossing the pond for the first time, and would like to see if there is a rail to get from Stratford upon Avon to Bath and then from Bath to Salisbury...

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:16 AM

You can get there by rail - but you might not like the connections.

thetrainline.com
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:21 AM

There is one National Express coach a day - but you have to change at Bristol
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:37 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Generallly for this type of itinerary, driving makes more sense.

For long distances or commuting, the trains are great. But for zig zagging back and forth across the country to sightsee - not so much.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:46 AM

It's fairly easy IMO - take a train Stratford to Leamington Spa, change there for Didcot (just over an hour) and then a train to Bath Spa (50 mins) - as trains run frequently on all segments it's rather easy - change from one platform to another.

You could go Stratford to Birmingham and then to Bristol then Bath but this involves changing stations in Birmingham

Bath-Salisbury a snap - 1.5 hours and about hourly service.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:48 AM

These are both very easy (and beautiful journeys) by train. There are hourly connections from Stratford to Bath, usually involving a change of train at Leamington Spa and then either at Didcot or Reading. Local trains mainly, that will generally be very empty.

Then Bath to Salisbury is generally hourly but sometimes more frequent. Often every twice hourly. That route is always direct, with no need to change.

By train, the city centre to city centre journey times by train will be much faster than by car. I cannot quite see any reasonn to do such trips by car, unless you want lots of hassle, added expense or if you specific places you want to stop en route.

On the Stratford to Bath route, you can break your journey in Oxford at no extra cost.

Hope this helps. All very fine spots, and I hope youm enjoy your visit to England.
Nicky
http://www.hiddeneurope.co.uk
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:51 AM

Forgive me! I hit "SEND" without having noted PalenQ's excellent advice just two minutes hourly. Had I seen that, I probably would have deferred to her / his good judgement.
Nicky
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 12:18 PM

and if you're taking the train to Shakespeare Land, thence to Bath and Salisbury and back to London you may want to investigate the Brit England railpass - a BritRailpass only good in Merry Ole England - not Welshland nor Scottishland - the pass is good anytime any train on any of the few dozen separate privatized rail franchises (from Stratford to Bath you may be riding three different train company trains potentially)

the value of the pass is just that - any train anytime. Go to www.nationalrail.co.uk to see prices - there may be many fares with oft perplexing varying conditions - peak, off peak, day return, period return, etc. and if going all on one rail line then you may find some nice cheap fares but if involve three lines this is impossible i believe as rail companies don't interface much with each other i understand.

So for walk up fares the pass could be a steal. It's also good on either the Heathrow or Gatwick Express trains, say you are landing and leaving London the same day.

A 4-day flexipass pass (4 unlimited travel days out of a 2-month period - need not be consecutive costs $235 in 2nd class or $349 in first class (if under 26 $188 Youth pass) if 60 and over $296 for a senior first class pass.

And if your party has three or more then the 3rd thru 9th persons pay 50% of what the first two adults pay - so for groups can be a steal. Kids under 16 - they get free passes to match yours - again great for families. All passes are discounted 20% if used Nov 1 thru end of Feb. Not sold at stations in UK - Brits can't use them though you can get a complimentary pass for a Brit to use in tandem with your pass. Marketed in U.S. by www.raileurope.com and www.britrail.com - i always advise BETS (www.budgeteuropetravel.com) for any British railpass for their expertise and willingness to answer questions via phone. (RailEurope charges 10% more for phone orders and then the person may not know much.) But do your research and see at nationalrail.co.uk, which represents all 28 or so UK rail franchises for exact fares and do your calculations. The value of a pass again is that it can be used anytime on any train - just show up. And as pass prices have not changed since 2006 and the pound has gone way up they are a better value than ever.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 07:08 AM

For the cheapest if not fastest or most comfy connections yes investigate the bus: National Express