Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Possible July London GTG? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/possible-july-london-gtg-1667775/)

janisj Jun 2nd, 2019 01:28 AM

Possible July London GTG?

Arriving at LHR on Sunday 7 July and fly home Sunday 14 July. Mainly coming over to see the Dior and May Quant at the V&A plus Kew/Chihuly and Van Gogh @ Tate Britain. Have all sorts of free time since I'm a member of both the Tate and V&A so don't need to pre-book the exhibitions.. Only evenings booked up are Wed/Thurs 10-11 July.

Open to GTGs just about anytime - but especially 9 and 12 July. (LancasterLad - missed you last time - so fair warning ;) )

janisj Jun 2nd, 2019 09:49 AM

>> . . . the Dior and May Quant at the V&A<<

Duh -- the Mary Quant

janisj Jul 5th, 2019 09:05 PM

OK - no takers

(well a couple but not for public consumption ;) )

I start my trek early AM tomorrow - but can't get my a$$ in gear - instead of packing I'm drinking a nice Stag's Leap Merlot and procrastinating. Oh well I'll end up with some clothes, some sort of toiletries and my Bose noise cancelling ear buds. Anything else is pot luck.

Next stop Sunday afternoon at my flat in Pimlico . . . (Do wish London was 5 or 6 hours closer to my podunk airport in Northern California)

In the next week: Dior, Mary Quant, Van Gogh at the Tate, Leonardo @ the Br Library, Fiddler on the Roof, The Play That Goes Wrong, Kew/Chihuly, Spring @ Somerset House (really looking forward to this), Cindy Sherman @ Nat'l Portrait, and a day trip to Oxfordshire - busy but not really over scheduled . . .

SusanP Jul 5th, 2019 09:38 PM

Wish I was going to be there at that time, but won't be there 'til next year. 😀

Odin Jul 5th, 2019 10:47 PM

Not going to the flower show tomorrow?

Tulips Jul 5th, 2019 11:34 PM

I'm not there in July; looks like a good trip, have fun!

janisj Jul 6th, 2019 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Odin (Post 16948549)
Not going to the flower show tomorrow?

No unfortunately -- I arrive late morning the last day of the show. Was going to try to make it work but I think that is pushing things. - well, my driver picks me up in 45 mins so need to finish packing . . .

starrs Jul 6th, 2019 08:04 AM

If you've not been to the Royal Mews, check it out.
https://www.rct.uk/visit/the-royal-m...kingham-palace
Fabulous.
Easy to tuck in amongst other stops.

janisj Jul 6th, 2019 09:31 AM

In departures waiting for my first flight. Been to the Mews many times - at least 6 or 7. This really isn't a sightseeing trip - a couple of plays and lots of exhibitions. Really the main focus is the Dior and a jaunt to my old stomping grounds in Oxon.

starrs Jul 6th, 2019 09:59 AM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fod...ac2ad94eff.jpg
Ahh! I had a similar trip last April as an homage to my mother. I guessed earlier that fall when the new baby might arrive and was thrilled that I timed it right to be there when Louis was born. I spent a couple of days doing things that my mother and I had done in London and added some things I knew she would enjoy. Not the usual touristy things, but just enjoying London in the spring. I lucked out that the Diana dress exhibit was at Kensington Palace. Very different from the traveling one I saw years ago in Houston. Then off to Paris for a few days and the back to see West End shows. Perfect combination! Years ago I canceled my hotel and flights (both on points) to see Idina Menzel open Wicked on the West End. I've regretted it ever since. I also wished I had added Hamilton because ticket prices are a fraction there compared to Broadway. A lovely relaxed trip. Hope yours is as well.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fod...2ab9e83646.jpg

LancasterLad Jul 7th, 2019 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by janisj (Post 16929217)
Arriving at LHR on Sunday 7 July and fly home Sunday 14 July. Mainly coming over to see the Dior and May Quant at the V&A plus Kew/Chihuly and Van Gogh @ Tate Britain. Have all sorts of free time since I'm a member of both the Tate and V&A so don't need to pre-book the exhibitions.. Only evenings booked up are Wed/Thurs 10-11 July.

Open to GTGs just about anytime - but especially 9 and 12 July. (LancasterLad - missed you last time - so fair warning ;) )

Apologies janisj, I've been off Fodor's for a few days. I could possible make it with more details, I'll be travelling by Southern Rail, to and from London Victoria. Nowhere too posh though. lol

jane1144 Jul 7th, 2019 10:29 AM

Janis, have a lovely trip. Sorry you won't be coming up the Scotland!!

jane1144 Jul 8th, 2019 05:25 AM

"TO" Scotland!!!

Pepper_von_snoot Jul 8th, 2019 07:31 AM

Not too posh: the Wolseley or Sketch. 😁

Thin🥋

janisj Jul 8th, 2019 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by LancasterLad (Post 16949154)
Apologies janisj, I've been off Fodor's for a few days. I could possible make it with more details, I'll be travelling by Southern Rail, to and from London Victoria. Nowhere too posh though. lol

Lancasterlad: The dance card has filled up a bit - I'm up to oxfordshire tomorrow, wed and thurs are busy, but I do have some time wed afternoon. Or Saturday would work well. I'm checking out of the flat in Pimlico sat morning but leaving my bag and have the whole day free with no firm plans til heading out to my LHR hotel Saturday evening. Since I'm staying in pimlico, it couldn't be more convenient for Victoria. I'll send you a PM later tonight to see if we can work something out.

but if we can't meet up this time, I will be in London for about a week very end November/beginning December

rialtogrl Jul 8th, 2019 09:05 AM

Janis - did you use the electronic passport gates when you arrived? I am eager to know how that is working out.

I fly two weeks from today, sorry to miss you, have a blast.

historytraveler Jul 8th, 2019 09:18 AM

I have used the electronic gates. Interesting that it seems to take longer for some people.Still seems to be quicker than going through usual passport control. I have always used fast track in the past. When entering area,it’s difficult or impossible to check and see what the lines are like for other options.You have to decide early on. Actually, the signs pretty much led us to electronic passport.

janisj Jul 8th, 2019 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by rialtogrl (Post 16949964)
Janis - did you use the electronic passport gates when you arrived? I am eager to know how that is working out.

I fly two weeks from today, sorry to miss you, have a blast.

Didn't see/use them because I flew business so go the expedited line. Saw the queue or hem and while long, it seemed to be shorter/ faster than in the 'old days'.

historytraveler Jul 8th, 2019 05:49 PM

Clarification. When we flew into LHR from Denver we flew business and used fast track. Our flight from Dubrovnik to Gatwick was economy and that's where we were directed to the electronic gates.