Possible Itinerary Croatia-Ljubljana-Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are considering a trip in early to mid September to Croatia - Slovenia - Venice for about two weeks. We will be using public transport. We are considering the following itinerary:

Flying from Arizona to Dubrovnik -- number of nights 3???

Taking the ferry to Hvar and then the ferry again to Korcula -- (I may have the order wrong). How long should we stay on each island? Will they be super crowded in September?

We also want to see:

Plitvice Park -- but can't figure out how to get there? Or where to stay?

Pula -- again, I'm not sure how to get there? or where to stay?

Then on to Llubljana -- or 2 or 3 nights?

Probably traveling by train from Llubljana or one of the cheaper European airlines.

Then on the Venice -- for 2-3 nights.

Then flying back to Arizona. The flight will probably go through London, but we won't stop.

Also, I looked at the price of the hotels in Dubrovnik and was a bit taken a back at the idea of hotels at 300 Euros per night.

Other thoughts -- we don't like huge hotels especially at the beach, so we'll be looking for smaller properties. They don't have to be the lower end, but we do need a private bath and 300 euros a night is too pricey for us. Do we need A/C in the rooms in September? We'll probably be trying to stay near Old Town.

Hotel suggestions for Hvar and Korcula?

All ideas and suggestions are appreciated.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 10:20 AM

In Dubrovnik, consider Villa Adriatica, just outside the Pile Gate into Old Town. It is a great location, much less than 300 Euro per night. Click on my screen name to see my previous posts about the place and about Ljubljana.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 10:26 AM

If you are interested in room or apartment rental in the old town, try www.i-reception.net. We were very satisfied with their service in 2002. On Korcula, we used www.adriatica.net to rent an apartment on the edge of the old city.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 10:11 AM

Hi-We were in Hvar and Korcula in September and loved both-busy but not jampacked.

We had sobes in the center of town in Hvar and Korcula, and about a 20-minute walk from town in Dubrovnik. They were all great, at a fraction of hotel costs.

The Jadrolinja ferry will take you to Rijeka. From there, there is bus service to Pula-in fact, all over Istria there is good bus service. I believe you should be able to get a train from Rijeka to Ljubljana.

One note-there is only one direct train daily from Ljubljana to Venice. You can get there throughout the day, but it is a long haul.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 01:12 AM

To Plitvice you can get by bus from any major city in Dalmatia: Split, Zadar, Sibenik… I would suggest ferry from Hvar to Split, renting a car in Split and go to Plitvice, back to Split, returning the car and continue by ferry to Rijeka from where you go to Istria (Pula, Rovinj…).

Plitvice has several hotels and many private accommodation available.

Again, you can reserve via www.adriatica.net .
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 03:49 AM

... or you can return the car in Rijeka / Pula and avoid long Split-Rijeka ferry ride.