possible 10 day itinerary Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vacationing in Switzerland next Summer. Does this sound like it could be done in 10 days? We're always on the go, enjoying scenery, mountains and waterfalls. Instead of renting a car, we would rather sit back and enjoy from a train or bus. Day 1: fly from US. Day 2: arrive and settle in, Bienz. Day 3: Jungfrau area. Day 4: Interlaken, hang glide and cave. Day 5: Meiringen, gorge and suspension bridge. Day 6: postbus to Andermatt, train to Chur. Day 7: Train to Tirano. Day 8: Train to Bellinzona castles. Day 10: Centrovalli railway. Day 11: fly home. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 12:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fly into Switzerland and out of Milan. Seems like a very rushed plan even to me.

Assume the trip from Chur to Tirano is on the Bernina Express, right? If so, I would not spend a lot of time IN Tirano but would try to go on to somewhere else. You could take a bus from there to Bellinzona but that takes almost 4 hours.

I'd also skip Interlaken entirely and spend the two days up above
Just some thoughts
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Dukey1. I've read that the scenery is very beautiful near Jungfrau Piz Gloria, and Lauterbrunnen area waterfalls. Also Meiringen Aare Gorge, Trift suspension bridge, Reichenbach falls, hang gliding near Interlaken. Do you disagree? We want to see the most scenic train routes, and I was told it's gorgeous on the Bernina Express near Davos, and from Tirano to Lugano, and also the Centovalli Railway. What do you suggest. We are only interested in nature's scenery, not cities or museums, so you know what's important for us on this trip.
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 01:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would agree, first of all, that the scenery along the Bernina route is spectacular. In would also agree that there is much to see and do in the Berner Oberland above Interlaken. My only concern is that you might be trying to do too much in a short period of time.

i realize that everyone travels differently and for that matter I probably travel "faster" than many folks on this board.

I am sure others will comment with helpful suggestions over the coming days.
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 02:31 PM

You need to understand that anything involving mountatintops - or even villages fairly high in the mountains - is distinctly weather dependent.

We stayed in Interlaken 3 days (touring other lakes and towns in the area) before we got a day that was clear on the Jungfrau. (If it's not clear - and the tops are often socked in with clouds even if the valleys are clear - you can just about see the hand in front of your face - and ascending is a sheer waste of time and money.)

IMHO way too much moving around and doesn;t allow for any days when outdoors might not be the best option.