Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Positano - will it be busy end of May for catching buses/ferrys?

Feb 16th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

hello we are visiting positano 27th - 31st May staying at Albergo California. still trying to narrow down transport from rome. had read some other posts saying buses always late, full have to then wait for another etc. will we have this experience going end of May or will it be a bit quieter? I think we will catch train from Rome to Naples and then hydrofoil from Naples to Positano. will the hydrofoil be in service end of May and should I be booking it? also when you book do you pay via the net or do you pay when you turn up? what should we expect weather wise (approx is fine)? I want the simplest way to get to Positano I know there is lots of advice on fodors about this topic but there is too much and everyone has another way and I'm getting very confused and thinking I made a mistake staying in Positano. have everything else planned etc for our 7 week trip in North America and Europe but this transport to Positano is really worrying me.
thanks Kerry
Feb 16th, 2007, 08:43 PM

It is a bit hard to get to Positano because it is more or less isolated, there is one main road going along that route and there are many tourists on it, even at the end of May. I don't think it is anything to worry about though, don't let it ruin your anticipation of visiting.

The train to Naples and then the hydrofoil should work out fine. Another way would be to take the circiumvesuviana train from Naples to Sorrento and then taking a bus or a driver's car to Positano.

Frustration will just ruin your trip, try and relax and go with the flow, plan as much as you can and then be prepared to change the plans. The ferries may not run no matter what the schedule says, the buses may be on strike, the train too.

Eat at Brunos right at Albergo California, have some wine and relax looking at the view once your arrive.

Have fun.
Feb 16th, 2007, 10:47 PM

Well you don't need to try to book the hydrfoil to Positano ahead of time - you can just buy the ticket at the docks when you get there. If you putz around the internet you should be able to find info on boat times - or someone may post the link here in a bit - that will give you an idea of boats you may be able to catch. You probably won't be able to time your arrival at the docks exactly because you can't be sure how long the train from Rome and the transfer to the docks will take. Once you get to the dock you can just find the next boat headed to Positano. I'm not sure tho that at the end of May they are running a full schedule of boats, you may have to wait an hour or so. The simplest way would be to get a driver (from Naples, probably) but of course that is much pricier - you would really enjoy the drive along the coast tho and it would be a great introduction to the area. We have been to the Amalfi coast twice at the end of May - the weather should be very nice - ranging from pleasant to HOT. Getting to Positano may be a litle challenging but it is doable - its good you are staying several nights so you can relax and enjoy the gorgeous area once you get there.
Feb 17th, 2007, 01:53 AM

The Naples-Positano hydrofoil doesn't usually run as early as May.

If you want to arrive by sea, the alternative is to train Rome-Salerno - and take the Salerno-Positano ferry (- 65 min/ € 650 ) from Piazza della Concordia jetty (- 5 min walk from Salerno station).

There are normally a.m. ferry departures at:

09.40 - 10.40 -11.40

http://www.salernocity.com/comune/tr...i/costiera.asp

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Feb 17th, 2007, 01:55 AM

Oops - not quite that much
Fare: € 6.50
Feb 17th, 2007, 04:12 AM
ira

HI 64,

I second Steve and the Salerno/Positano ferry.

The docks at P.zza della Concordia are only 3 blks for the train station.

There are porters to take your luggage to your hotel.

Ask the hotel if you should take the Orange bus or if you can walk up.

End of April will not be very crowded.

Enjoy your visit.

Feb 17th, 2007, 04:34 AM

We spent a week in Positano in early to mid June two years ago. The Naples-Positano hydrofoil was not running at that time; it started up shortly after we left.

We took a boat to Positano from Capri, so I can't help you with the other options--but if you do arrive by boat, it is still a bit of a walk (uphill) from the dock to the internal (Orange) bus stop at Piazza dei Mulini, and not that easy to find if you don't know where you're going. We used the porter service.

We found early/mid June to be busy in the area, but not unpleasantly so. We only encountered full buses a couple of times; usually the internal Positano bus.
Feb 17th, 2007, 04:48 AM

Sorry-I meant to say we used a porter service for the luggage...we still had to make our way up to the bus stop from the dock, but it was much easier without luggage.
Feb 17th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

thank you everyone I think we will go with steve_james suggestion. rome to salerno by train and then catch the ferry to positano (so pleased you saw your error on price)thought for a minute we might be boarding an Onassis yacht! will we catch the Rome to Salerno train from the airport or do we need to first go to rome termini? I imagine there will be many trains leaving regularly from Rome to Salerno throughout the morning (it will be a Sunday make any difference?)We can not afford a driver and didn't really want to catch the bus as have read on here that it is a beautiful trip to arrive by boat to Positano. do you think we could walk from Salerno station t ferry dock with two cases each? thank you again for info much appreciated and you kept it simple I like that. Kerry