Positano trip report April 2004

Apr 26th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Positano trip report April 2004

Just returned from 5 days in Positano. Stayed at Hotel Pasitea on recommendation of friends who stayed there last year. Skeptical at first, as it was so reasonable, and it is a Best Western. We absolutely loved it.
The hotel is a bit of a walk from the main shopping area, but the four of us love to walk. And for 1 euro, the Positano bus stops at the front of the hotel and goes all over town. The hotel is just small enough, and quiet enough though on the main road. other hotels mentioned on this site have a lot of steps, this one does not and has an elevator. Our room was extremely clean, white stucco walls, tile floor, and a lovely little terrace with a magnificent view. Bathrooms may have just a shower or a bathtub. With a seniors discount, Best Western quoted 175 euros, but I found it at the last minute on Expedia for 140 euros, including breakfast buffet and tax. There are no bad rooms.
We ate many meals at Il Fornillo Ristoranti, just down the road, and were very well taken care of by Margarita. The food was some of the best, and some of the cheapest we ate in 2 weeks. We all stuck to pasta, drank wine, and the bill was $35 per couple. Please eat there if you are in Positano. The risotto with zuchinni, pasta with mushrooms, the bolognese, the wood oven pizzas--they are all great. The tomatoes, arugula and vegetables in this area are so wonderful! We usually had a starter and a pasta. She gave us limoncello at end of meal.
We ate at Ristorante Da Constantino and at La Taglati. Both are way up in the hills, and they'll send a car for you. The food was not as good as Il Fornillo, but the views were great. At Da Constantino watch that they don't switch wines without you asking the price of the bottle being shown. To our hotel's credit, they were shocked that we ended up paying for a wine twice as expensive and they offered to complain and get a resolution. Otherwise, the service at Constantino was attentive and the food fresh.
Everyone has their own opinion on which town is best. I didn't like Sorrento as much, it was too big and busy. Amalfi's shops were more touristy and junky. Ravello is nice, but off the beaten path. Positano was in the middle, had lots to see, and we could walk everywhere. Be warned that streets are windy or you can take steep staircases between town levels, but everywhere you look the views are wonderful.
We had a car for a couple of days, so we drove to Pompeii. It was easier to take the bus to Ravello and Amalfi. Parking is a serious problem everywhere. The bus costs a euro or two, and it's no less convenient than searching for parking or paying 10 euro or more to park.
As for a driver to Naples airport, we used Renato from Sorrento and paid 80 euro. Even our hotel was surprised at how much less he was than the services out of Positano. He had a very comfortable van, was very punctual, and a good driver.
We took ferry to Capri. Not as good schedule as from Sorrento, but we had 1/2 day there.
April was cold and rainy, they told us it was worst weather in 20 years. But we enjoyed all of it nevertheless, and we had one sunny, warm day which we used for Capri. Somehow it quit raining the 3 hours we were in Pompeii, so we felt lucky.
Apr 26th, 2004, 10:51 AM
SB1

Thank you for your trip report! Would you please let me know how to get in touch with Renato? We will make a point of trying Fornillo Ristoranti in September. Thank you!
Apr 26th, 2004, 10:59 AM
ira

Hi SB,

Renato Cuomo - Via Caprile 2 - 80069 Vico Equense (NA), Italy.
Tel.(+39)339 16 12 081 or (+39)081 802 30 37 -
www.cuomonet.it [email protected]

Apr 27th, 2004, 07:21 AM
SB1

Many thanks Ira! Can I call him and arrange him to pick me up in advance, or am I better off having the hotel arrange transportation for me from the airport to Positano?
Apr 27th, 2004, 07:37 AM
ira

Hi SB1,

I suggest you contact Mr Renato and ask for a quote. Then see what your hotel comes up with.

Be sure to ask what car you will get.

Mr Cuomo also does tours of Pompeii, the AC, etc. You might want to ask for rates.
Apr 27th, 2004, 07:43 AM
ira

Thanks for sharing with us, aleta
Apr 27th, 2004, 08:20 PM

Thanks for the trip report and the restaurant suggestions. I am glad you had a good trip.
May 6th, 2004, 05:28 AM

Great report, thank you! I will be in the area at the end of May, and hope to try out your suggested restaurants. I will be staying for 2 days at the Hilton in Sorrento and plan to take buses to the various towns. Do the buses leave from a central station in each town?
May 6th, 2004, 11:00 PM

Buses leave from the bus station in Sorrento for Amalfi via Positano. From Amalfi bus station buses leave for Ravello. WWW.sita-on-line.it (campania)