Positano to Pompeii

Apr 5th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Positano to Pompeii

My husband and myself are traveling to Italy at the end of May. We are staing in Positano and are curious what is the best way to get to Pompeii from here. From reading past postings We desided to hire a driver to pick us up when we arive in Naples and drive us to Positano. We agreed on the return to stop at Pompeii for 3 hours. After doing some research I'm not sure if 3 hours is enough. Maybe a full day trip is better. Need advice.
Also, any one who has traveled after Sept 11th know if there are lockers available at the Naples train station. Want to sight see for about 2 or 3 hours in Naples before heading out.
Apr 5th, 2005, 02:13 PM

I think you'll be fine with a 3 hour stop at Pompeii on the way back to Rome. We did exactly the same thing, with only two hours to spare, and found that it was almost enough time to see what interested us.

Good luck!
Apr 5th, 2005, 02:36 PM

I forget how much time we spent there and you'll have to decide how much time you need but, IMO a personal guide really enhances the experience. When you get there and buy your tickets there will be freelance guides offering their services. The money is well spent. Depending on how much time you want them, you will tour around being able to ask about everything you see for around €50 and have a nice discussion with a local who certainly has a love of the ruins.
Apr 5th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the info.
Apr 5th, 2005, 07:27 PM

Hard to measure your interest in Pompei based on your original post, but I can tell you we spent about 6 hours there and didn't see the entire excavation. We didn't hire a guide who probably would have moved us around much faster.
Apr 6th, 2005, 02:48 AM

Nikko - To get to Pompeii by public transport from Positano, catch the Sorrento bus as far as META Station (- about 25 mins).

From Meta, it's a 30 mins train rde on the Circumvesuviana train to Pompeii. Get off at Pompeii SCAVI.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Apr 8th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Steve
This is the info that I needed thank you.
Apr 8th, 2005, 03:21 PM

We just returned from Positano last week. Loved Positano --- we stayed at the Villa Rosa!

I don't remember seeing lockers at Pompeii. Our driver took us to Pompeii and waited for us for 120 Euro. After Pompeii, our driver dropped us off at that Naples train station. This was easier than doing a day trip from Positano. Unless you take the bus, the transportation is expensive. For examples, we visited Capri for the day. For a family of four, that is 100 Euros roundtrip for the ferry. That makes sense, but it adds up.

We told our driver that we would spend three hours in Pompeii. We ended up with three and a half. If you want to walk to the Colleseum at Pompeii, it's on the other side, so it takes time. I suggest four hours at Pompeii.

Happy Travels!
Apr 8th, 2005, 04:19 PM

Steve,
Re: getting from Positano to Pompeii, is it a hassle taking bus and train from Point A to B. We are a family of 4 and am just wondering if it's worth it to hire a driver to take us to Pompeii for the day? Sometimes, public transportation (when multiplied by 4) isn't worth it. Your thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
joangk
Apr 9th, 2005, 03:06 AM

Joan - The bus/train is really very easy - the bus drops you off at Meta station.

[On the return I usually catch the bus from Sorrento (- rather than Meta) - just to be sure of a seat].

Fares are cheap: Bus + train will cost you about € 3 per person each way (- multiplied by 4 it's still less than € 25 roundtrip).

Alternatively a taxi will cost you € 70 + each way - or a limo for a day normally works out € 30-40 per hour. That a lot of gelato&limoncello money - but's that's just my opinion.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Apr 11th, 2005, 09:33 AM

Hi,
I think three hours is about right unless you are very interested in everything there. We had a private guide and driver and took a three hour tour which was great. However, after three hours we were a little tired and not processing info as well. Your driver should be able to keep you bags for you.