Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Positano or Sorrento (Italy)? Suggestions needed please! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/positano-or-sorrento-italy-suggestions-needed-please-600468/)

AmiLynn Mar 19th, 2006 07:41 AM

Positano or Sorrento (Italy)? Suggestions needed please!

DH and I will be in Italy this May/June (2-months away and counting!). For 2 FULL days our home base will be in Naples. We have no desire to spend a lot of time in Naples, but would rather venture off to other areas of the Amalfi coast. We know we want to spend one of the days on Capri. We are torn on where we should spend our 2nd day (which is also our last day in Italy). We are thinking either Sorrento or Positano (other suggestions are welcome also). I would love your input and suggestions! This will be our first trip to Italy. Thanks in advance!

kybourbon Mar 19th, 2006 07:51 AM

Why are you staying in Naples if you don't want to spend time there? It would make more sense to stay in Sorrento the two days where you can catch the Sita bus to Positano or a ferry to Capri.

AmiLynn Mar 19th, 2006 08:19 AM

We are only staying in Naples because we are staying for free with our Marriott rewards :-)

kybourbon Mar 19th, 2006 08:31 AM

Good reason! You can ferry to Capri from Naples for the day, but the ferries don't run late coming back so don't miss the last one. You will have to go to Sorrento to get to Positano. Take the local commuter train Circumvesuviana from Naples to Sorrento (end of line) and from there you can catch the Sita bus to Positano. The train will take a little over an hour and cost about 4E.

Pausanias Mar 19th, 2006 08:41 AM

If the choice is between a night in Sorrento or a night in Positano, take Positano. It's a far more attractive town. You can take a ferry there direct from Capri.

Don't feel dejected about your stay in Naples. It is the most interesting city south of Rome and deserves far more attention than it gets. If you use one of your days to visit Pompeii, you'll have to rush to see a few highlights the next day.

AmiLynn Mar 20th, 2006 06:00 AM

Any other suggestions? Ira? Anyone? :)

kybourbon Mar 20th, 2006 06:09 AM

Have you been to Pompeii? You could stop there on your way to Sorrento. Take the Circumvesuviana and get off at the Pompeii Scavi stop. The entrance is across the street.

Weadles Mar 20th, 2006 08:19 AM

Where are you going after your last day in Italy? If you're flying home from Naples, it would probably make more sense to base in Sorrento since it's much closer to the airport in Naples.

davidcharles_69 Mar 20th, 2006 10:02 AM

May I please suggest Positano. It is truly wonderful there. The scenery is great. The town is quaint and it's just perfect. We used a brilliant company called benvenuto limos. They have a very good website and can recommend some great options for you.
benvenutolimos.com

emmalee_71 Mar 20th, 2006 10:40 AM

I have to agree with David Charles. I Loved Positano and also benvenutolimos.com They were great and our driver knew everything there was to know in the area. I loved walking around this tiny villiage with the ocean as a backdrop. You can even take a quick dip to break up the shopping. It's easy to get to Capri from here.